Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #1

Not even a newbie yet

Hello everyone,
Just joined today. My lovely Admiral and I recently finished up a 6 year cruise on our sailing catamaran "Libertas". We sold the boat to an Aussie couple last month and delivered the yacht to Grenada for them to occupy in November. Right now, we're packing our stuff to be shipped back to the States and then we fly back mid-month (September). Gonna be strange, as I haven't stepped foot on US soil since Dec 2005, when we sailed out from St Simon's Island, GA. We've decided we'd like to try full-time RVing (is this a word?) as our next adventure. Been doing a lot of research and believe the best fit for us would be a tag-axle Class A. We're currently leaning towards a lightly used (2006 or newer) Tiffin, Newmar, Country Coach or Beaver. We would love to hear what y'all have to say about these and all the other stuff we'll be asking questions about. We fly to Miami and plan to rent a car and make our way to the Charlotte area, via Tallahasse and Macon to visit friends and family. Planning to stop at Lazy Days in Tampa to get a look at the motorhomes as we've never owned or even rented one. Once we get to Charlotte, meet our shipped stuff and get our act together we plan to rent an RV of the appropriate size and spend a couple of weeks seeing if we enjoy it. I would also be happy to answer any questions about life on a sea yacht for anyone looking to go that direction from a land yacht. Thank you all in advance for answering my forthcoming questions.
Look forward to corresponding with y'all,
Joe O'
S/Y Libertas
currently: Clarke's Court Bay, Grenada, West Indies
SY_Libertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Joe O

We are glad you joined us. We have a great group here who like to help when they can so don't be afraid to ask questions

My DW and I along with our family of 5 children spent several summers on a 52' houseboat. I realize our houseboat was a far cry from your sailing catamaran but the marine lifestyle is great training for the RV lifestyle. It taught us how to conserve our basic resources for boon docking. I think they both can be money pits. I used to say my boat was a large hole in the water where I put my money.

Keep us posted on your search for the right RV.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Welcome aboard cap'n. Always wanted a trimaran.. but only wound up with 13' sailboats and other motorized craft.. up to a 96 yacht.. not mine.. but I skip'd it. Can't help you with the RV.. we have what's listed below..
Old 09-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello Jo & your lovely Admiral;
Elaine & myself have only been members here a very short time, but I would say you definitely picked the right group to join up with. There are owner groups here for every make & chassis, so I'm certain you will receive a lot of help with the makes & models you will be looking at, if you decide to go motorhoming.
Wishing you both good luck on whatever landlubber adventure you decide upon.
Ron
Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks, and welcome to the forums! Sounds like you've had quite an adventure! Good luck on picking the right rig! Maybe you can share some of your experiences with us in the future. Good luck & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Welcome. Agreeing with the others--- you have picked a great group to join! Being new ourselves we have found lots of beneficial information by reading the information submitted by the experienced RV'ers.
SkiPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #7

Thanks for the welcome

Thanks to all who responded. We look forward to exchanging info and hopefully meeting members as well. Don't know about the RV community, but the full-time "yachtie" community is still relatively small and after 6 years you get to meet a large share of them.
We'll be back in the States next week and immediately get serious about our next move. Thanks again for the warm welcome.
Joe & Shawn
SY_Libertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #8

Plan to spend at least a day at LazyDays. They will have plenty to see. I am not sure about you being able to "rent an RV of the appropriate size." Tag axle Class A's are generally in the 43'-45' range. However, you might find a private party that you could rent one from.

We purchased our coach from Quality Motor Coach. They are located just north of Orlando in Apopka, FL. They generally get bank repo's. We found them really good to deal and negotiate with.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Welcome aboard Jo & your lovely Admiral,

You are going to love the RV life and all the friendly and helpful folks in the RV world. You will always find someone to help you out with anything that pops up. The only real problem you might have is getting use to not being able to just stop and drop anchor you please. Unlike the ocean there are some places you can't park. Hope you really enjoy your new adventure RVing.
PS--Around here RVing is a real word.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your search for that perfect RV.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags