Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2016, 06:10 AM   #1

Old time RVer with new bent

My wife and I RVed for 20 years in class A diesel pushers. We were almost full timer, sometimes as much as ten months a year in the RV. We have decided to downsize, sold the RV but still have the urge. We are looking at purchasing a vintage (1973-78) gmc motorhome. We have seen a few and are continuing to look.

I am having a problem getting a VIN check. Everywhere I go I'm informed that it can't be done for vehicles older than 1981. I want to get the usual stuff; owner, previous owners, lien holder, accident history. Is there such a service?
Neateagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #2

GMC Motorhome

Check with Alex Sirum GMC Motor Homes, Inc. They are located in Okeechobee, FL @ 1800 East Highway 70, Okeechobee34974 - 863-763-1121. Hope this helps.
Okeeman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:44 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club

I once was looking at the GMC also.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:37 AM   #6

GMC Motorhome

Hi Welcome to irv2. I have owned two GMC Motorhomes both 1977 models. My first was a 23' Birchaven, my second a 26' Palm Beach both with the 455ci engines. They were and are Fantastic Motorhomes. We loved both. As our travels changed we needed larger units. The storage was tight on them as we traveled more and further. They are low and very easy to maneuver they ride very much like the larger GM vehicles of that era. Parts are relatively easy to find and many companies still support them. There were Forums dedicated to them with great members offering great advice ( GMC Motorhomes .com is one).
I sold my last one in 2009 having owned it for 12 years and still miss it. For a vehicle designed in 1970 or so the design still holds up well.
On the negative side the newest one was built in 1978 ( first a 1973), there are still about 9,000 still on the road of the 13,000 originally built. For the newest being 38 years old that in itself is Amazing. Look out for Frame Rust although new frames were available. The body was aluminum and Fiberglas.The conventions would draw 500 coaches up til the mid 2000s as I recall. Due to the Tandom axle in the rear Toll roads were a problem, cost was incredibly high for a 11,000 lb vehicle arguments always ensued to get charged as a Motorhome not a Truck.
I was an active member of the forums for about a decade.
Owning one was a labor of Love.
I would be glad to share any information I have with you.
Barrier
Old 05-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Loved those GMC's, Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote