Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #1

Wink Picking up New 2015 Thor Axis in 10 days

Hi Everyone:

We are new to the RV world and will be starting with the Thor Axis 24.1 as our entry point. I have done a fair amount of research before selecting this unit and am going into this with "my eyes wide open". I have heard many horror stories about the quality of Thor products, but then again, most folks says this is being part of the RV world. All units need to be thoroughly checked out before taking delivery and others need some "fine tuning".

Would any one out there care to spend some of your time, telling me how to best check out my new RV at the time of delivery? Also, I am buying from out of state which complicates any service/warranty issues?

Retired and out to see our beautiful US of A!
evergreen49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #2

Welcome to the irv2 community and congrats on your new RV plans! We're glad you're here. If you search these forums (look around top right portion of the web page for the word "Search"), you will find all kinds of suggestions on things to inspect before taking delivery. Below is a set of checklists I have found helpful at times. Take a look just to get started.

Need An RV Checklist?... Here Are All The Best Checklists For RVers | The Fun Times Guide to RVing

Good luck and jump right into these forums!
Old 12-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #3

You can look here or Google "PDI" report and print one out. Some Apps have this info in them. Not too be an ass but if this is your first RV why buy new? Cost is high and they depreciate like a rock.
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:03 PM   #4

Oh, no worries. You have a good question, but after researching, I am buying new at about the same price of similar used models. And the wife didn't want someone elses "RV". I explained to her that we would be losing about $10,000 per year in depreciation, at least.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #5

I've also heard lots of Thor horror stories. (after purchasing) We bought a 2012 Serrano. Happy to say after a year no regrets! Love it. No real problems. Hope you do as well.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Welcome and good luck with your new rig. Theres a google search box at the top right side of the page. Enter PDI or inspection and there should be a good list in there somewhere......We bought new and other than a few items that needed tweaking, we had no major problems. Good luck.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2 and the wonderful world of RV'ing!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
evergreen49: I just went through this when picking up a new 2015 Palazzo. Things you find on these forums will be a teaching experience on what to look for and what specific problems that coach is known for. In my case I went to pick up the Palazzo with "eyes wide open". It is easy to gather the knowledge on what to look for and have the intentions of doing so.

After a 4 hour drive I arrived at the dealer. They had the Palazzo in their shop completing a pre buy. The tech was knowledgable and personable and assured us he was doing a thorough check out. I looked a few of the things, like the slides, but was told by the salesman to leave the tech alone or he would never get finished. I realized it was not feasible for me to tie up their shop with the Palazzo and asked if I could spend the night in the RV in their parking lot to do a complete check out. They said this was not possible because at that point it would become a used RV if I did not take delivery. The end result was we left with the Palazzo that evening without completing any meaningful pre buy. While I did look for visible signs of obvious quality issues the thorough inspection I intended never happened. So, luck will play a major role in whether my RV is what I wanted.

In hindsight, and what I would like to leave with you, is to go to the dealer with the intensions of staying DAYS for a pre buy. If you have a trade in stay in it at night and spend the days with the new RV, before signing the papers. The dealer can fix the items you find during this process. An even better scenario is to hire an independent expert, that worked at the factory, for the check out. But I have never heard of anyone that offers such a service.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to the forum d to the V lifestyle....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
I bought a new 2014 Thor Tuscany 40XE, sad as it is, you are going to find some things that don't work properly. This is true on every make and model you may buy new. The reason people buy used is because after a few months or a year the previous owners have all the bugs worked out. You too will have bugs to work out. DO NOT panic, you are not alone, hopefully you have a reputable dealer with a half decent service department. Be prepared to leave your coach for a week or more. If you have a problem that needs repair before you use your coach, it may take that long to get the parts. Parts are usually 2 weeks behind in most cases. If it is something that can wait, have them order the parts then bring your unit back to them.
If you are new to motor homes, make sure you understand how to operate it. Get a GOOD WALK-THRU. If you don't understand, ask them to show you again. OR better yet get a video of the walkthrough. One thing I would make sure you understand is how to override the slide system. Just in case you have problems with those while on the road. Those slides will probably be the only thing I can think of that will leave you "dead in the water" if they are out and you need to leave.
Other than that enjoy, all of us who bought new have been through it, some worse than others but in the end, you will really enjoy camping in the MH.
If you have any questions you can always rely on this site and You-Tube ha. This sight had solved so many problems for me and has also alerted me of problems that may arise.
Good luck ya'll
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #11

How can I be "alerted" when someone posts a new comment on a discussion that I have started or interested in?
Old 12-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

I would recommend video taping the delivery walk through. You will not remember everything you are told.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

See if this link is of any help to you

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/setti...ode-71629.html
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:48 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen49 View Post
How can I be "alerted" when someone posts a new comment on a discussion that I have started or interested in?
You will receive email messages (if you have given your email address to this site) and every morning you will get emails with any new posts from the thread you are posting
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thor