Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #1

Planning My Escape in 2014 & Doing Research on Future RV Purchase!

Hello all, this is my first post here and here is my story for July 5th. 2013! I'll be 65 in October and I'm a single man who loves to write music and script. I am also a dog lover and Doberman Pinscher is my breed of choice! My current situation is as follows: I live in my family home in the East County rural area of San Diego County in the house my Dad built in 1976. This is also the house in which I was caregiver for him before he passed away in 2007. I have been a permanent resident here since 2000 & purchased the property in 2004. While I am hopelessly emotionally attached to this beautiful piece of property, my work has faded away in the manner of the times and my health has significantly deteriorated. I recently researched the RV lifestyle in terms of both health & economical standpoints and feel quite certain I have the bug! I have 2 pensions which are an OK amount for RVing but are not making the grade financially for living here in this "stick & brick" home.

I own a nice 2005 6.0L Diesel F-250 Super Duty pickup which is paid for and have considered beginning my adventure with a nice Lance or other high quality cabover camper. I would like this because I would retain a truck I am quite attached to and driving it is obviously familiar but I would not like this because of the smaller living space. Also, in terms of "what to do with all your stuff," I have a recording studio in my home and will always be recording new music no matter what happens. With today's electronics, recording setups can be built just about anywhere but I do have basically an analog studio and would like to keep as much of the equipment as I can. Add to that the fact that I have become extremely drawn to the A Class for so many reasons, (one of them health related) but will only have maybe about 6K to 8K or perhaps 10K to spend on my new rig. Of course, I am hyper aware of the fact that my new rig must be mechanically sound first (low miles on the clock) and all the rest after that. I love the diesel pushers with a passion but realize I will have to work up to what I really want and that will take one jump as I will be able to save some $$$ by being a full timer. I have noticed rigs in the area of about 1996 or so which of course have front gas & usually Ford or Chevy V8's going for around my range. I have found some very clean rigs for sale with low miles and fairly nice interiors and at this point, that's where I'm at.
I would say my dream rig would be in the Manor Lodge/Monaco series rigs. I have expensive taste for certain but can also appreciate that for 100 grand you can get not much in terms of real estate but for the same 100 grand you can be living in luxury! Getting restless ::: Morgan
Morgan7600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

You've got some tough choices ahead, good luck with them.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
from NH.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #5

Thanks to Medico, JohnRR & Bruce C for the great welcomes. With hopes for a brighter future and to finally gain my peace of mind. Something that has been missing from my life for far too long... Morgan ::: 12GaugeMusic.com
Old 07-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2. I have a suggestion for your studio, I don't know if its a viable option or not. How about renting a small space from another music studio where you could set up your equipment, record digitally in your rv. Then when in the area of your studio transfer to analog.
Another idea is to rent a small unit in a warehouse where you can setup your studio and also have space to store any other valuables you don't plan on selling or giving away that won't be on the road with you.

As far a space in the slide in camper goes ( which I haven't been in one for 40 years). You will have the great outdoors for your new space with a new back yard anytime you wish to change it. Be it a mountain view, seaside, creek side, city living. You can have it all and the price of admittance is to make the commitment to do.

I wish the best to you and keep us posted as to your decision and your travels.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Morgan! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you can find the right RV to get you going. I would stay away from the truck camper if possible since it has so little space. Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Morgan, best of luck in jumping into the rving lifestyle.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #9

Thanks to you all for the great responses!

To all: Those are some great suggestions. I think they would all work very well actually. I think the best way for me to get back to you each would be to tell you a little more about me.

When I purchased this house, I thought well wow I can do the remodel and then have elegant parties in my beautiful view home but nobody would even come up here (it's kind of out of the way from the city which is good) and the remodel never got close to being completed because the economy took a dump and I got very sick. What happened next was a long period of isolation and this is good for nobody on the planet. We need each other so much more than we know!
Like so many, my finances have been in a perpetual mess for as long as I care to remember. I do now have a way to go to clear all my debt and be left with 1500 a month in pensions. That plan does not however include living here so that is how I ended up with the idea of RV World and it is a dam good one!
While 1500 is not much, I think it may be enough, with the correct plan, to actually see my bank account go up for the first time ever and not be constantly in the red and I can't afford to pay attention!

Taking my situation to another level:
How to proceed? I love my truck! It is paid for and is a wonderful and strong machine. It features the problematic 6.0L V8 Diesel which now has over 130K on the clock. In diesel world, this is not much but for this engine, it is time to take some steps if I want it to last and especially if I use it either with a "slide in" or to pull a TT. The EGR cooler was the first error the manufacturer, International, made. It is square and fills up with back gunk which eventually kills the motor. I have got to change it and there is an aftermarket "round" one that replaces it. Everyone with this engine knows about all the issues I face. The second one is a real biggy!
The head bolts! Bolts can be replaced with studs to take the mystery out of forever driving with this engine. I love the engine and would love to take care of both of these issues. I think I would do that right away by hanging out here for a while and saving up for the repairs. That would be after the solar installation on whatever I end up with. Got to have as much power as I can get from the sun!

Better to just let you read the engine article for yourself. This is the best one I've found and of course, it came from "Diesel Power Magazine!"
6.0L Ford Power Stroke Engine - Ford Diesel Trucks - Diesel Power Magazine

historyljc, Thanks for the warm welcome and I'll stay in touch so you know how I'm doing in this odd time of my life!!! Morgan

MSHappyCampers, you know I've heard this from many of you already and it does concern me. A good Lance for instance is no cheaper than a good 5th wheeler but makes my truck so much easier to drive. There are many decisions to be made for sure. I really hate cramped environments and silly to even imagine trying to record my music in a camper although anything is possible... Thanks for your response. I'd love to speak with you again. Morgan

dsbike, Your suggestions are sound however at this point in my life, it is really a lot about the $$$ and the word "rent" just doesn't make the smile return to my face if you know what I mean ::: You speak as though you know something about home recording. Are you a musician too? I know I stand the chance of meeting many other like minded folks out there and this is exciting to me because it is something I have needed for a very long time.

To better respond to your post, a little about my music and the way I currently create it! My home and studio are secluded. The only thing I ever hear out there if I'm using an open mic are the SAN base leg jet liners far too high above to be much of an audio problem and the crickets here in the San Diego County back country. Going from this to anywhere out there where somebody could walk right up and start pounding on my RV walls is a dread! I have considered the BLM thing and would have a pair of Doberman doggies with me in that instance and also, modern recording can easily be accomplished completely through a high end set of head phones so it is totally quiet outside of the rig!
Then there is the security factor. I've considered building my studio into a slide in so it goes everywhere I do and then pulling a tongue type TT but in terms of TT's, the 5th. wheelers are soooo much better in every way but that negates the slide in altogether. I dislike the idea that my truck bed would be sort of "unused" other than that massive hitch back there but that's the trade off isn't it!?!

I'll leave you with this interesting idea I'm sure I'm not the first to think of although it is kind of out there. Since I'm a sound engineer as well as a player and producer, it would be quite easy to get a Doberman "patch" and set it up to play through a highly powered 15 inch speaker facing the inside of the door so I can just press a button and anyone outside my RV door would hear that awesome Dobie earthshaking snarl! I love it. Sort of the same effect as ratcheting a 12 Gauge pump and then saying... "Come in?" Thanks again to all and let's talk soon, Morgan
Old 07-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Morgan, no I am not a musician. In fact when ever we are in a group and there is music playing where everyone is clapping to the beat. I have all eyes on me & its not because I am good at it. More like I can't carry a beat if my life depended on it. I have learned not to clap . Better to explain later than ruin every ones enjoyment of the moment!

I have been giving the studio idea a lot of thought for a long time, but for me it has been a garage/storage/1 bedroom studio. We have our home up for sale & I hope to be able to do this. As my hobby is restoring cars. I am not ready to retire, my wife uses our mh to live in as she is a traveling nurse & is constantly moving from one hospital to the next. The mh will be our primary home & the apartment/shop will be my home away from home.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:35 AM   #11

'72 Nova ::: All Time Favorite!

I love those old muscle cars like the Nova & the '69 Camero & '69 El Camino SS! I have also always wanted an old Studebaker pickup. About the 1954 or so I think it is...
See that's something I've wanted to do forever but there is no $$$ for anything. I also thought about perhaps going full timing but staying around San Diego for a while and then looking for an inexpensive shop in the country and restoring old RV's. I don't know if there would be a profit involved but I would love to learn that trade and it sure would be fun. I found a shop in a lovely rural area for 300 a month but not ready yet. I also found several slide in's from the 1950's & 60's for under 100 bucks that were very restorable.
As a contractor, I guess I will always need to be building something!

Regarding retirement, I loved my job as a Land Survey Crew Chief but the work ended around here way back in 2005 and then my health went south as well. So retirement is a good thing for me and I have tons of things I want to do but can no longer live here on my property on my meager pensions.

Tags
purchase