Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #1

Purchasing a new MH

We bought a pop-up about 10 years ago, which was replaced by a small teardrop trailer when our son could pitch his own tent. Now we're ready to start spending his inheritance .

After much research, we've settled on a Winnebago/Itasca View/Navion 24J and I found a unit we liked via some Internet searches. For the most part, I've found dealers reluctant to negotiate a price via email, and Camping World of Boise was no exception.

The sales person wanted me to use my credit card to put down a $2,000 deposit, BEFORE he would take my offer to his "managers". "If I wave a little money under my managers nose then they will be more likely to take an offer like yours" is what he told me.

Now even though this is what I think is probably a relatively modestly priced MH, my offer was still almost as much as I paid for our first house, so I told myself to think of this "deposit" as "earnest money".

However, I still wanted some sort of documentation on this transaction. After all, I was about to spend almost as much on this "deposit" as I spent on either of our first two "RVs". This sales rep always seemed reluctant to communicate via email. His usual email response was "call me", so I stopped answering the phone and wrote him this:

" I understand that you want me to call with my credit card information in order to put down a $2,000 deposit. What is not entirely clear to me is exactly what I'm putting a deposit on. Surely you have a document you can send me that spells out the terms and conditions for this deposit ? "

"I've cc'd my wife on this email, and would appreciate it if you could include her in any reply, so that she can offer legal insight and consul on this transaction. "

My wife is an Assistant Attorney General with 20 years of civil law experience and I figured I'd count on her good judgement before calling up Camping World with my credit card #. Here's where I thought things got strange.

The sales rep wrote me back that "Buying an RV is supposed to be fun and exciting not full of legality and lawyers. You are taking the fun out of this and your offer is very minimal and not profitable. If you don't want to provide a deposit then I will move on to the next person who is ready to purchase the RV of their dreams."

So "Camping World of Boise" and I have parted ways. It's not that I was unwilling to put up some cash, I just wanted to document the transaction. Now I'm wondering if giving a deposit ; with no receipt, no documentation, nothing really in writing before submitting an offer is a common practice when purchasing a motorhome, or if anyone else has experienced a similar sales encounter ?

I've found several other units that meet my criteria and was about to make an offer on a unit at "Camping World in Island Lake Illinois", but am starting to wonder if it's really worth the effort.

--Charlie Jordan
Brentwood, TN
cj11363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Belated

It would not be my practice and just think someone else's dream could have been your nightmare.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:31 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First of all I would NEVER put a deposit on a transaction like this without being there in person. I don't do any rv shopping for purchase on the internet. I may look at a unit but to purchase it on the net No Way. I do a lot of inspecting before I plunk any money down on anything that I purchase. Good luck and hope you find the unit that works for you.

By the way welcome aboard and glad you joined us.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj11363 View Post
We bought a pop-up about 10 years ago, which was replaced by a small teardrop trailer when our son could pitch his own tent. Now we're ready to start spending his inheritance .

After much research, we've settled on a Winnebago/Itasca View/Navion 24J and I found a unit we liked via some Internet searches. For the most part, I've found dealers reluctant to negotiate a price via email, and Camping World of Boise was no exception.

The sales person wanted me to use my credit card to put down a $2,000 deposit, BEFORE he would take my offer to his "managers". "If I wave a little money under my managers nose then they will be more likely to take an offer like yours" is what he told me.

Now even though this is what I think is probably a relatively modestly priced MH, my offer was still almost as much as I paid for our first house, so I told myself to think of this "deposit" as "earnest money".

However, I still wanted some sort of documentation on this transaction. After all, I was about to spend almost as much on this "deposit" as I spent on either of our first two "RVs". This sales rep always seemed reluctant to communicate via email. His usual email response was "call me", so I stopped answering the phone and wrote him this:

" I understand that you want me to call with my credit card information in order to put down a $2,000 deposit. What is not entirely clear to me is exactly what I'm putting a deposit on. Surely you have a document you can send me that spells out the terms and conditions for this deposit ? "

"I've cc'd my wife on this email, and would appreciate it if you could include her in any reply, so that she can offer legal insight and consul on this transaction. "

My wife is an Assistant Attorney General with 20 years of civil law experience and I figured I'd count on her good judgement before calling up Camping World with my credit card #. Here's where I thought things got strange.

The sales rep wrote me back that "Buying an RV is supposed to be fun and exciting not full of legality and lawyers. You are taking the fun out of this and your offer is very minimal and not profitable. If you don't want to provide a deposit then I will move on to the next person who is ready to purchase the RV of their dreams."

So "Camping World of Boise" and I have parted ways. It's not that I was unwilling to put up some cash, I just wanted to document the transaction. Now I'm wondering if giving a deposit ; with no receipt, no documentation, nothing really in writing before submitting an offer is a common practice when purchasing a motorhome, or if anyone else has experienced a similar sales encounter ?

I've found several other units that meet my criteria and was about to make an offer on a unit at "Camping World in Island Lake Illinois", but am starting to wonder if it's really worth the effort.

--Charlie Jordan
Brentwood, TN
Yep happened to my wife and i at the Hershey, PA show in September. They were so insistent that we give them a credit as a show of good faith and to run to get a credit check. They kept beating around the bush, and just wouldn't get to the bottom line price. The Manager said to my wife, "Here, you can hold onto my Corporate Card while I run the credit on your"
I told him to take his card and run the credit check.

Finally, i gave them a ridiculous price that i was willing pay. After 6 hours of back and forth, We got our way.
steinjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Charlie! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

You made a very wise decision not to advance the money! There are lots of deals out there if you just don't get in a hurry! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Not full of legality? Then tell him to let you pick up the MH without signing all of the paperwork and trust you will pay for it. This guy sounds like a schmuck. I have purchased three MH's and when giving a deposit of only $500 the dealers always had me sign paperwork saying we had given a deposit and it was refundable if financing fell through. The dealership also signed the document, you know.......all that legal stuff. You made a wise move paring ways with them.

Brian
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

Why were you reluctant to go there in person? I would never want to buy something I had not personally looked at.

This is a common tactic of salespeople. Don't take it personal. Your response was not what they would normally hear. IMO a legal interpretation or recommendation was not needed in any way, shape or form.

Most dealers would rather negotiate in person, and quite honestly I wish to as well. Seeing their reactions is part of what gives me the upper hand IMO.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #8

Didn't go there in person because the unit is in Boise, ID and I'm in Brentwood, TN. Have yet to find a new unit, with the options I'm looking for, within reasonable driving distance.

Thought that we had found a unit that was "close enough" at Camping World of Chattanooga, but after driving 2 hrs to see it we discovered that it differed significantly from what was listed on their web site.

I suppose that if I were keeping score I'd say that's 2 strikes for Camping World...

--Charlie
Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I bought my first popup in the '70s. We used to take the kids to Disney World and visit the Camping World in Kissimmee. I remember when it was the only thing on US192 east of I-4. I have always thought of CW as a camping store, a place to buy camping gear and accessories, not a place to buy an RV.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"If you're serious about your next RV purchase, we have an offer for you. Complete this form and you can be guaranteed Internet Only Pricing on your Camping World purchase. Save time with this No Nonsense, No Obligation, Internet approach to your next RV."

Taken right off the CW web site. Apparently they have a different interpretation of no hassle, no obligation than I do.

CJ,
Since you are looking at certain options you are having problems finding, have you considered ordering one? That way you could have it built the way you want it.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:52 PM   #11

To quote Bob Dylan, "The Times They Are a-Changin' " , or to paraphrase a quote often attributed to Willie Sutton, "That's where the RVs is."

It seems that nearly half of the new 24J's that show up on rvtrader are at a Camping World. For some reason, almost all of those few that have full body paint and a diesel generator seem to be at a Camping World. All of which may or may not be a good thing, I dunno. I feel that my CW experiences to date are much too small of a sample to be statistically significant.

My "deadline" for owning a "debugged" unit is by the time our son graduates from Basic training in October, so I feel that I've got an early start on the process. I suspect that before it's all said and done I'll probably end up trying to special order a unit from either an "Internet friendly" dealer (if such an entity actually exists) or Camping World of Nashville.

--Charlie Jordan
Brentwood, TN
Old 03-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club

Sorry you are having the troubles you are having. It looks like RV Trader has 31 of then listed nationwide, and yep, looks like Camping World is setting on them. Hope the search gets smoother, but like you said, you are starting early. Good luck and keep us posted.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I feel that my CW experiences to date are much too small of a sample to be statistically significant.
I would certainly agree with this statement as I bought a previous MH from CW in Charleston, SC and they were outstanding to deal with and very professional. I live in Bartlett, TN and will be driving to the Nashville CW next Saturday to look at a Zappy scooter I want. CW just bought a dealership in Olive Branch, MS and they are rebranding it right now as well as building a retail store. Last I heard they were planning an April opening. I love going to them, not for the prices, but the huge selection of merchandise. Good luck to you in your search.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forums!
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 PM   #14

Welcome...and sorry to hear about your experience with the "shark." Maybe I'm just not in touch with reality, but I've never had anyone ask me for an advance deposit...especially without some kind of formal paperwork and validation. We did make a down payment on our RV purchase, but only through a legitimate financial institution. Congratulations!...you made a wise decision.
Hudgens is offline   Reply With Quote