Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2022, 09:02 AM   #1

Ready to buy, but lots to learn

Good morning,

I’m sitting in camp enjoying the PWN breeze thinking about next steps.
We’ve been pulling a large toy hauler for years and I’m frankly sick of it. My wife and I have been drooling over our friends’ diesel pushers for far too long.

Interested in a low mile, well cared for coach measuring 32-36’. Must be diesel and preferably a higher HP/torque unit to accommodate pulling a cargo trailer through the mountain west. Pre-def would be nice. Mid 2000s is an age and price point that makes sense as we transition to a real RV.

We know there is no perfect set up and there will likely be times I wish I had the infuriating toy hauler but for now our minds are made up.

I have lots to learn and am open to advice especially if makes, models, years, etc to avoid.

Thank You,
Law
Lawdot74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Monaco made some really high-quality MH's in the early 2000's, especially the Windsor, Dynasty, and Signature! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 03:18 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
diesel

your probably going to have to look more at 36ft size to get anything over 300 hp and the 3000 trans to get a 10k tow capacity. maybe a Winny journey 36G with a 350 Cat. My neighbor just bought one to tow a 7200 lb box trailer.
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:01 PM   #4

DPs in that size range can be hard to find. We tried for 2 years and wound up with our 40' Tiffin.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:39 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Good luck on the search and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 06:12 AM   #6

Welcome aboard!
Old 07-13-2022, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
your probably going to have to look more at 36ft size to get anything over 300 hp and the 3000 trans to get a 10k tow capacity. maybe a Winny journey 36G with a 350 Cat. My neighbor just bought one to tow a 7200 lb box trailer.
What a coincidence. The very model I’m lusting over this week. My wife and I continue to experience all the annoyances of our toy hauler while parked next to our friend’s journey.
Solidifying our decision…
Old 07-13-2022, 09:34 AM   #8

Thank you for the warm welcome.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdot74 View Post
What a coincidence. The very model I’m lusting over this week. My wife and I continue to experience all the annoyances of our toy hauler while parked next to our friend’s journey.
Solidifying our decision…
I'm curious... What is it about a toyhauler that you do not like?
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
I'm curious... What is it about a toyhauler that you do not like?
Our current setup is a result of efforts to get three side-by-sides to the sand dunes. I load one on a DRW F350 and two in a 28’ bumper pull toy hauler. As a result we have no dedicated bedroom and all living space doubles as garage. Storage is limited in this scenario so gear is loaded around and in the two UTVs as well as under the unit on the truck. Mom, dad and kids all share one “room” with only a small bathroom for privacy.

Admittedly, some toy haulers have bedrooms and better storage options.

We will have to limit ourselves to two UTVs when we switch to a diesel pusher or super-C pulling our cargo trailer. Stacker isn’t in the cards yet.

A few large fifth wheel trailers can haul two units and provide dedicated bedroom space but not without combining garage with living space.

Ultimately, we ‘think’ we want dedicated garage and living space. We realize we give up some flexibility by not having a tow rig to drive from camp. No perfect solution…
Old 07-14-2022, 06:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdot74 View Post
Our current setup is a result of efforts to get three side-by-sides to the sand dunes. I load one on a DRW F350 and two in a 28’ bumper pull toy hauler. As a result we have no dedicated bedroom and all living space doubles as garage. Storage is limited in this scenario so gear is loaded around and in the two UTVs as well as under the unit on the truck. Mom, dad and kids all share one “room” with only a small bathroom for privacy.

Admittedly, some toy haulers have bedrooms and better storage options.

We will have to limit ourselves to two UTVs when we switch to a diesel pusher or super-C pulling our cargo trailer. Stacker isn’t in the cards yet.

A few large fifth wheel trailers can haul two units and provide dedicated bedroom space but not without combining garage with living space.

Ultimately, we ‘think’ we want dedicated garage and living space. We realize we give up some flexibility by not having a tow rig to drive from camp. No perfect solution…
My wife and I were in the exact same situation as you. We prefer class A motorhomes and our dream was to eventually move to a class A toyhauler. In the meantime, we bought a bumper pull toy hauler because we like to bring our motorcycles along.
That's when we discovered that we didn't actually like having the bikes in the RV with us. They take up space and we don't always carry them.
We ended up with a shorter class A and cargo trailer and couldn't be happier. The great thing about a class A coach is that you can pull a trailer, toad or nothing at all. I am planning to hang a lightweight motorcycle on the rear as another option.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 03:42 PM   #12

I’ve admittedly not been searching much lately as I have cash tied up at the moment.
The alerts I set have been quiet. Expanding my search to early DEF coaches improves results.

One can find a few 2011 Journey 34s for a ~$110k. I need to read about DEF problems or lack there of….
I also need to read about class A vs super C as I think I’d be more comfortable driving a C.