Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #1

Replacement RV and new over all...

Bought our first RV a few years ago, 1990 Transvan made by Champion, with 36k miles for $500. Owner said it had a bad vibration and the shop quoted $3,500 to replace the rear axle; hub to hub which didn't include labor. I took it on as a project and and stripped the rear axle, found nothing wrong. rebalanced the tires and drove great! Used it for a couple of years but not very seriously. Fixed a lot of small issues. Ended up selling it back to the previous owner who is a friend so recouped my expenses.

Using iRV2 to expand my knowledge I have learned a great deal about Class A's, looked at gas vs diesel, etc. Then jumped in head first on a 2004 Holiday Rambler Imperial. Joked with the wife (with painful tears in my eyes) the proceeds from the sale of the Transvan will cover our first fill up and oil change!

It's a really nice rig with 4 slides, generator slide. The side radiator provides the greatest engine access I have seen on any I have looked at! Bought it from an older couple who wanted to downsize. We have been cleaning and repairing small issues, mostly electrical. Fixed the solar charging system, TV wiring, Aladdin, replaced the engine AC belt (think it was original), replaced some gas struts, polished the fogged headlights. Also ordered replacement marker lights as the sun has done it's magic on them. I would like to get the keyless entry system working again. I think the keypad is bad. The previous owner didn't use it and lost the keyfobs. Any advice on troubleshooting and replacement parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1990 Transvan.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	136892   Click image for larger version

Name:	HR Imperial exterior1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	136893  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HR Imperial Interior.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	364.3 KB
ID:	136894  
Jasonzinmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:58 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Welcome aboard...and congrats on your new rig....

Safe and Happy Travels.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jason,

Welcome to the Forum! When we bought our 2004 it had only 1 ignition key. We wanted several of course and since ours was a Ford we went to a dealership and asked if they could help us.

New keys were $5. a piece so we got 2 extras. I am sure they could also help with the key fobs.

You got a nice rig there. Good luck.
Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies and thank you Lynne for the advice. We have a 2009 Prius and looking for a dolly as well. I think it should pull nicely.
Jasonzinmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement