Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #1

Researching Full Time Possibilities

Hello, my name is Dale and I am new on here.

I do not currently own an RV, but plan to RV full time when I retire in 11 years.

I was born in Louisiana, spent from 3 to 14 years of age in Oklahoma before moving back to Louisiana till I joined the United States Coast Guard(USCG).

While in the USCG, I went to boot camp in Cape May, NJ, and was stationed in Rehoboth, DE. From here, I went to tech school in Petaluma, CA and was stationed on board a ship in Honolulu, HI and a communication station in New Orleans, LA.

Since leaving the USCG, I have lived in Louisiana, Arkansas, and now Missouri, all following employment.

I am single and I do not expect to have a companion with me, I am not against it, but I am not actively trying to meet anyone.

I don't have a lot of geographic attachment to any one place.

I am sure this has been discussed a million times on here and don't worry, I plan on searching for it. I am simply including this here so you know, this is why I joined this forum, to figure this out.

But I don't necessarily want this post to become a large discussion of the pros and cons of each state, just a relevant part of the introduction.

I love to talk and visit with other USCG Veterans, well really any Veteran of any branch. I absolutely loved my time in the Coast Guard, and I wish I could have stayed in for 30 years. And I find that most of my close friends tend to be other veterans, some retired and some not. I find we all have such a unique view of the world, and it isn't that we see anything differently than anyone else. But we all experienced a longer maturing period, so we value those freedoms we did not have while we were active.

When a young adult turns 18, well it was 18 when I was 18, the occasion is usually celebrated with alcohol. This sudden freedom is the down fall of a lot of young adults, whether in the military or not. But discipline in the military is not like it is in the civil system. I think the more restrictive life that a person embraces in the military, gives them a stronger appreciation of those freedoms, when we finally get them. I think this is the reason I find it so hard to talk politics with any other person besides another veteran. And trust me, there are liberal, conservative, democratic, republican, and independent veterans out there. But we can talk to one another because we know how to bite our tongue, and get along.

There is something about the military experience, that forms an inexplicable understanding to each others differences, and we accept it. We don't try to sway each others political decisions, in fact I don't think it is common to discuss a candidate, when we have a political discussion it is usually some other issue. We also tend to be very pro constitution, regardless of whether you agree with the constitution or not, it is the law of the land.

I have also been watching a lot of YouTube channels about full time RVing as well (thanks COVID19).

So there you have it, that is not as brief of an introduction as I had planned, but I tried to condense as much as I could. Also why it looks so blocky in content.
Confuzzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Great story. Welcome to the forum.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dale;

We are glad you joined us. There is a wealth of RV info available to you here just by asking. Browse the forums that interest you and don't don't be afraid to ask questions as our members like to help when they can. Enjoy the forums.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #4

Confuzzled,
Welcome to iRV2 and thank you for your service. I am a viet vet. We learned to keep our military service a secret when we returned to civi life. You had to be there to understand why. I am happy you don't have to do that now.

iRV2 is a great place to discuss all kinds of RV and TT issues. I especially like the civil tone of the discussions. We all try to avoid criticizing other's opinions. State our positions and let it go. It is a good place to get away from heated political exchanges.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Confuzzled,
Welcome to iRV2 and thank you for your service. I am a viet vet. We learned to keep our military service a secret when we returned to civi life. You had to be there to understand why. I am happy you don't have to do that now.

iRV2 is a great place to discuss all kinds of RV and TT issues. I especially like the civil tone of the discussions. We all try to avoid criticizing other's opinions. State our positions and let it go. It is a good place to get away from heated political exchanges.

My dad was in Vietnam as well, and like you, does not talk about it. The environment is certainly different today. I always feel a little odd when people thank me for it, it just doesn't seem like I am owed a thank you, it was one the best experiences of my life. If I had not joined, there is no telling how much of a train wreck I would have been.
Thanks for the kind words.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Confuzzled,

Thanks

I thought I recognized the name of your town, so I looked it up. I am pretty sure I passed right through when driving from Sheboygan to Fond du Lac, to Oshkosh, and on to Wausau about 4 or 5 years ago.

Tags
full time