Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club

Hello and welcome, you can retrieve some great info. on here, take your time and enjoy!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Welcome!!

Have met a few same sex couples in RV parks over the years. In most cases they make more over it than the rest of the people do (too worried). Don't think I have ever heard any disparaging remarks. Go, Relax, Enjoy!!
X2!
US Navy Vet.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

You won"t be the first. nor will you be the last.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 06-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #18

Welcome aboard. Maybe well meet in our travels.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #19

We live part of our year in an ownership resort. There are over a half dozen same sex couples who own here one of whom is lesbian. They are part of the community, and involved as much as they want to be. I never thought I'd see two men dance together at a conservative RV resort. Honestly we were shocked, not because it was two men but because they were professional dancers! What I've found interesting is that most here have never known anyone who is gay. Now they have neighbors who are. As they get to know their same sex neighbors they find they are nice people they enjoy being around. It has been interesting to watch very conservative attitudes change just like the change happening in the rest of society.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Welcome to IRV2. Glad you're here.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 06-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #21

Its funny but I do not remember anyone asking if Same Sex couples face obstacles in this activity. Maybe it never came up because it was never a problem. I hope thats the case but life is to short to let other people negatively influence your life.

Now on to the important stuff. Get out there as fast as possible. Start with a tent if you have to. I did that for years then went to a Pop up then a Travel Trailer and finally got into a class A. There are so many types of Rvers with different equipment and ways of enjoying this activity. Full Timers can be those who move between a winter and summer resort or they can set goals to stay a week or two in as many National State and local parks as they can. You can have themes to your travels like history, ball park visits, festivals, or other cultural events. Once you settle on things you and your partner like to do the most then you can better determine what equipment you need. The other piece of advise I offer is the same for every couple, What ever you decide has to work for both of you.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenOnWheels View Post

Newbie Question:
I keep hearing about how welcoming the RV community is, which is great. One thing I've been wondering about is how welcoming the community will be of a same-sex couple. I have not seen much posted about this online so it's hard to get a sense of what our experience will be when we get out there. If anyone has any observations on this point, I'd love to hear them. My gut says it won't be a big deal, but wonder if there are other perspectives on this I should consider.

Thanks!
It wont be a big deal. No one will bother you, especially if you're not obvious such as hand holding or kissing. That would offend some people, especially those with small children and the homophobes out there. We've met several lesbian couples while camping. They weren't treated any different any anyone else in the CG. I'm sure we also met gay men but just didn't "notice".... Welcome to the Forum.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #23
DKM

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
I keep hearing about how welcoming the RV community is, which is great. One thing I've been wondering about is how welcoming the community will be of a same-sex couple. I have not seen much posted about this online so it's hard to get a sense of what our experience will be when we get out there. If anyone has any observations on this point, I'd love to hear them. My gut says it won't be a big deal, but wonder if there are other perspectives on this I should consider.

Thanks!
Im new too!! I dont think you have anything to worry about. We are all part of the human race. Most important is we love one another & treat people with respect they deserve. Welcome! You & your partner would be welcome in our campsite any day!

Since Im new too & I will add, we are not full timers by any means. (we bought our first RV around 3.5 years ago) Family of four, mostly weekends in the summer & maybe a couple of week long trips a year. Anyhow when we looked, one of the most important things for us we asked ourselves was "if its a crummy day outside, will we be comfortable being inside our rig?" Not cramped, able to have space, etc. Especially with us having a couple of children. I dont know if you have any children or not but even two people could be cramped in a space! We settled on a Class C with overhead bunks for my girls & loved it. Now we are moving up to a Class A with bunks. Anyhow, Im fairly new so thats about all the advice I can offer I am still learning alot as well.

Patrick
Old 06-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome! Here's to years of fun and memories.

I, like others who have responded, just don't care if you are a same sex couple. Nice people are nice people...that is all that matters.

Have fun looking for your perfect RV!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #25

Same Sex, different sex, no sex, some sex... No matter!

Welcome, tons of great information here, lots of great people!!

Ask questions, answer questions when you can...

Enjoy.

Mal
Old 06-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Newbie Question:

Thanks!
Hi Michael! (Sorry, you didn't tell us your partners name)

Those that get involved with camping, in general, regardless of the equipment you camp in (Tent, Pop-up, MH or anything in between) are, for the most part very welcoming, very friendly, and easy to get along with. Those that don't fit into that category, you will probably never see anyway because they will be "turtled" in their RV with the blinds drawn and the TV on.

Personally, I don't care what your sexual orientation is. If you're camping next to us, Im sure my kids will come over and say "hi" if they see you outside.

I've got good friends/coworkers that are both reserved and extremely active in the LGBT community... Couples, families, some have kids, some want kids, but all of them want acceptance. The RV community is a great place to meet new people who have similar interests, both inside and outside of the LGBT lifestyle and I have yet to find anyone within the RV community that is "over the top" offended with the LGBT lifestyle. But if you did happen across someone who's tolerance levels are lower, I'd imagine that the overall principle rules would still apply. If you do come across a homophobic neanderthal, my bet is that you would probably just not associate with them during your stay, but I also think that the neanderthal will be the rare exception, rather than your typical RV enthusiast.

A word to the wise..... It doesn't matter about your sexual preference.... but if you're inside your RV and the party/patio lights are all swinging side to side in a rhythmic motion... we *all* know what's going on in there.

I've been known to cheer at folks when they emerge from their "inside activities"...
Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree! It can't be said enough to go out and rent one first. We did and consider the rent payment as an investment. You wouldn't want to make a very costly mistake if after all you didn't like it. We love it! As for the same sex thing, I think you might be worrying too much. If someone is offended then that's their problem. I say, WELCOME!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #28

iRV2 No Limits Club
When I do presentations as part of an LGBT panel from the university I go with the understanding that "it is hard to hate some one when you know their story", I am btw the T.
Closed Thread

Tags
california, newbie