Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 06:14 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Selling my house, planning to buy a class A diesel pusher

Greetings all.

My wife and I like to make big changes every 7-10 years. She sold most of her stuff and moved from the US to NZ to be with me. Seven years later we sold most of our stuff and moved to the US. After a little while in an apartment, we bought a townhouse. Then a decade later we made the big jump from that small townhouse to our current homestead on over five acres. Changing countries, changing from a suburban lifestyle to a rural one, etc.

Now it's time for our next big adventure. We are putting our homestead on the market, selling almost everything yet again, and will be buying a large RV and touring the US for a number of years! Something I guess a lot of you have done too.

We've enjoyed the homestead lifestyle, but are feeling the itch for a change yet again. As much as we enjoy the ducks, chickens, feral cats, landscaping, etc of our homestead, it's a lot of work, and caring for the animals limits our ability to travel for any length of time. We've long dreamed of getting a motorhome and exploring the country, perhaps as a retirement plan, but why wait? Better to do it now when we're still somewhat healthy.

We've signed the paperwork to put our house on the market, and are getting some repairs done. The house will go on sale on the 23rd of this month (i.e. less than a week from today). The real estate market is really hot right now, so we expect to sell within days. It'll take a month for the sale to close, then once we have the money, we'll buy a suitable RV, move into it, store a few things, hold a professionally-managed estate sale to get rid of our remaining possessions, then hit the road.

We are currently planning to buy a 35-40 foot class A diesel pusher motorhome. Since we'll be living in it full-time while traveling around the country, we want a fair bit of space, and mod-cons like washer and dryer, and preferably dishwasher.

We plan to stay in one place for a couple of weeks at a time, since we'll continue to work remotely, sightseeing on weekends. We can both work from anywhere, as long as we have an internet connection. (Space for two desks is one of the criteria for a RV.)

We'll probably initially mostly stay in campgrounds, but over time I expect we'll do more boondocking. So we'll want an RV with a generator, solar, and big water and waste tanks.

Our dog Rory and cat Paladin will be coming along with us. It'll be a bit of an adjustment for all of us!

We have a trip booked to Yellowstone National Park in September, using a rental trailer, meeting up with my wife's father, brothers, and their spouses, but we're hoping we can instead do that trip with our own RV, if things work out as planned. Though we won't be able to use our reservation, so hopefully will be able to find somewhere not too far away. We'll then head south for the winter, staying near the west coast for the next few months. After that, we'll continue touring the US, making our way across the states, though we will head back to the Portland area every six months for dental checkups, doctor visits, etc.

I do worry about what I've heard about difficulties in finding campsites.

Anyway, that was a bit of an info-dump; sorry about that. We're excited about our next adventure, though of course are nervous and second-guessing ourselves too. We've done a bunch of research, and a trial rental trip, but actually doing it full-time will be different.

We don't have an end time for this next phase of our lives; as with the previous ones, we'll continue doing it until we're ready for our next change.

I know these forums are an excellent resource, and look forward to reading them and participating as we start this adventure. If you have any advice on any of the above, I would welcome it.
Dejus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 08:39 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. I applaud your plan and we are a bit ahead of you. We too look at life as a series of adventures. We built our dream home in the foothills of Denver. Then retired early and moved to and built our second "dream" home over looking the ocean in the Dominican Republic. Now 14 years later we closed on that villa today and are currently full timing in our 40 ft Tiffin.

You are joining a good group of friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #3

The possible glitch in your plan is finding the Motor home quickly after the sale. I hope you are looking now intensely to figure out and identify possible floor plans. It seems the Motorhome market is about as hot as the housing market. If you have time after the sale before getting the Motorhome then no worries. If you will be financing any of the Motorhome many would say that is easier done before you sale your home and become a full timer.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:02 PM   #4

We fulltimed for 7.5 yrs, just put our Beaver Patriot Thunder on the market. ( irv 2 classified) if you need storage space, a motorhome to climb mountains and overall a well built rock solid coach, ours could be the one.
Cfyanes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:39 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you all. Yes, I've been researching since early April when we first had the idea. Which started as a two year plan, then a one year plan, then a three month plan! Started wanting a class A, then for a time we were planning on a fiver, but went back to the class A DP idea. I have a spreadsheet documenting models I like.

We'll have a month or two between closing and moving out, so hopefully that'll be long enough to find something. Given the current market, we figure we'll likely have to fly across the country to get one we like, and if we have to compromise on features, we can always trade it in a few years... especially since we won't know exactly what we want until we've live with it for a while.

We won't be financing; we should have enough equity from our house to pay cash.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:35 PM   #6

Good luck. Godspeed. Have fun. Life is short. Live.
chucksel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:48 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Old 06-18-2021, 09:33 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Get out there and start kicking those tires!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Welcome, and what a great, or should I say ANOTHER great adventure you have in store for you!!

It sounds like you are looking at a used Class A, which would be a very good idea especially if you plan to trade up or make a change in the future....otherwise the financial hit of a new unit will be substantial

One thing that I think would make a huge difference in your travel experience would be the ability to boondock at will which means solar and Lithium batteries so while you might not need or want them from day 1 I would suggest a plan to educate yourself and get there within a short period of time (within the first year).

A good couple to follow if you haven't yet would be "You, Me and the RV", they have taken a similar journey over the past 2-3 years and would be an invaluable source of info as you plan and embark on your journey!

Wishing you all the best and wish you many years of happiness exploring this beautiful country
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:53 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you. Yes, we want used to avoid the depreciation hit, and hopefully get one with the initial issues resolved. We'll want to get it inspected, though I haven't quite figured out the logistics of that yet.

I do want to get solar and lithium batteries, though that's not something I'm focusing on in choosing a model, since I believe those can be retrofitted later; floorplan is more important at this stage.

I do follow "You, Me and the RV", among others; definitely helpful.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:49 PM   #11

Why limit yourself to less than 40 ft ? Many advantages to going larger…. Tag axle is a BIG one especially for full timers…..increases the amount of cargo carrying capacity by 10,000 lbs !

Pretty much ignore all the naysayers that say you can’t find places to park it if it’s bigger than 40 feet…. We can actually turn sharper than most smaller coaches because of the independent front suspension allows more wheel cut, and the turn pivots on the drive axle (because all the weight is lifted from the tag axle at low speed automatically)

Recommend getting an “all electric” coach as well (no propane)
this gives another basement storage bay. Large residential fridge is awesome for full time use! Hydronic heating and hot water burns diesel so never have to refill propane!
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I was initially looking at 45 ft DPs, as I definitely like the extra space (e.g. one I really liked was the Fleetwood Discovery LXE 44B, with bunks at the back, which might make a nicely separated office, if it has power available). But I gathered that those extra feet can limit campsites. Has that not been your experience?

We plan on four-down towing our Chevy Colorado, which adds a fair bit of length, too.

Turn radius was also a concern, so I'm intrigued that that might not be such a problem.

I'd definitely prefer an all electric coach and diesel-powered continuous hot water. One thing I wondered on those is how well they do with boondocking; possible to use solar to keep the batteries charged, or is generator use needed too?

Tags
class a, diesel, sell