Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #1

So I got a message telling me to post here...

So I figured I would and introduce myself. I'm a new nurse and contemplating the ultimate nomad lifestyle. I'm in my early 30s and have no ties to my home state. I've already moved about 10-12 times since I turned 18 and quite frankly I'm getting tired of renting Uhauls and schleping it all over the state. In 2019 I'll have enough experience and certificates under my belt to be able to sign up as a traveling nurse, however next summer in 2018 I'll have to look for a new place to live since my current domicile will be sold around May (not my choice). So I figured instead of renting yet another Uhaul, why not take the money I'd spend on first/last/deposit on an apartment and invest in a 20'+ towable trailer? I already have a truck that's able to max tow 6,000lbs and the best part is, it's paid for! I have no significant other, no kids, and the dog just passed away earlier this year so it'd just be me and the cat. If I purchase a trailer next year that'll give me a year in it to get my feet wet before I start traveling outside of the state. By March of 2018 I'll be able to sign on as a part-time traveling nurse with my current hospital in state while still working full time to retain benefits until I figure out which traveling company I want to sign up with. I have a lot of research to do, and a lot of things to figure out still. This is all new to me as my family doesn't have much of an adventurous spirit. My grandma did, and when she was around my age packed up the whole family (a husband, four kids, two dogs, three cats and numerous gerbils) in their station wagon and moved across country on a whim. Unfortunately she is no longer with us, so I don't have her to share my wanderlust desires with.
I'm attending a local RV expo next month, have done countless hours of RV & full time research, and am now joining a few different RV forums so I can connect with others and pick their brains.
realdusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #2

My wife and I have met two teachers that are at the end of their time teaching and doing what you're suggesting. In their case, they move from school to school substitute teaching. One had a nice 4 door Jeep she pulled the tiniest commercially produced camper I've ever seen.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure.

Rob
Old 10-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My cousin did that and made GOOD money....
last time she emailed me she was in Alaska and just needed someone to accompany her to the hospital so they could watch for polar bears
Old 10-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Hi,
Welcome to IRV2. You’ll get lots of advice (whether you want it or not )

Ask specific questions when you need help with anything.

Where is your nursing license? in a compact state? My wife is a travelling nurse and she allows me to accompany her. Home state and taxes is incredibly complex. To take tax free housing and perdiem tax free money, you need to have a tax base where you are duplicating expenses.

the hard part is finding a contract then finding a place to psrk your rig for the duration of the contract, or vice versa, in places that are in nice weather and safe places. We often get contracts but cant find a placeto park our 1998 class a rig. Our rig is not old looking or damaged withh multiple colors, but the parks hear 1998 and say no way! So get a newer rig that is comfortable to live in.

Anyways, welcome!
Old 10-25-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Hi,
Welcome to IRV2. You’ll get lots of advice (whether you want it or not )

Ask specific questions when you need help with anything.

Where is your nursing license? in a compact state? My wife is a travelling nurse and she allows me to accompany her. Home state and taxes is incredibly complex. To take tax free housing and perdiem tax free money, you need to have a tax base where you are duplicating expenses.

the hard part is finding a contract then finding a place to psrk your rig for the duration of the contract, or vice versa, in places that are in nice weather and safe places. We often get contracts but cant find a placeto park our 1998 class a rig. Our rig is not old looking or damaged withh multiple colors, but the parks hear 1998 and say no way! So get a newer rig that is comfortable to live in.

Anyways, welcome!
I currently reside in Florida, and currently we are not a compact state, but will be as of 2018 as part of the new eNLC. I would love to pick your wife's brain about full timing and travel nursing! I am unfamiliar with anything tax related and travel nursing at this point, so I will add that to my "to research" column. What's the furthest you and your wife have had to park and then commute from campground to hospital? Safety is very important to me as I am a single lady, but would be willing to commute.
realdusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:14 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State.

Some good and some bad advice here, some is even useful!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdusi View Post
I currently reside in Florida, and currently we are not a compact state, but will be as of 2018 as part of the new eNLC. I would love to pick your wife's brain about full timing and travel nursing! I am unfamiliar with anything tax related and travel nursing at this point, so I will add that to my "to research" column. What's the furthest you and your wife have had to park and then commute from campground to hospital? Safety is very important to me as I am a single lady, but would be willing to commute.
Our last position was in Idaho. We parked in a nice older park about 3 miles from the hospital. We are looking at texas for this winter. Travelltax.com is a good resource to understand thetax issues. We are happy Florida is joining the compact. That will be nice for next winter LOL. Colorado is dropping out. We are compact through Idaho. Most resorts will be safer than mobile home parks in my opinion. but that is just my opinion as i think the travelling public is largely older couples who are retired and happy to watch out for others.

We are under 50 years old, and enjoy the solitude and friendship in the parks, but it isnt a party scene we have found

Let me know what your questions are and Ill be happy to get her to answer or if you want you can private message me and we can get you two together - we did what you are doing - spent until may 2017 working agency in denver while preparing to go full time.

It is challenging but we are having fun so far.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Good luck finding your perfect TT.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #10

Hi

this place is great

Safe travels
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
Stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:55 PM   #11

Wow! Kudos to both of you doing/about to be travelling nurses! That sounds like a crazy lifestyle to an old guy that spent 31years working for the same company. May I ask why travelling nurses are needed?
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Wow! Kudos to both of you doing/about to be travelling nurses! That sounds like a crazy lifestyle to an old guy that spent 31years working for the same company. May I ask why travelling nurses are needed?
Thanks
Travel nurses fill staffing holes for companies. Usually they are greatly appreciated and treated very well by full time staff who really needs help. Sometimes you run into people who resent travellers as they believe the travellers are making more money than they are. it is really not so. travellers usually have double living expenses and are subjected to new and unknown environments regularly. it is NOT easy to walk in to a new environment every 8 or 13 weeks. The only real upside is the ability to go to new places and really help struggling facilities.

My wife makes 41.00 an hour as an agency nurse in colorado. no benefits. as a traveller, she makes 15-20 an hour with some per diem and housing reimbursements. you have to be duplicating living expenses to take the per diem and housing tax free. meaning we pay for a house and utilities in our domicile state AND pay for lot space, electricity, and other expenses in our rv.

we really bring home LESS as travellers with 20+ years of experience in ICU’s but having fun and seeing newthings.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #13

Thanks for the explanation. I hope you both continue to have fun "working"!
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:17 PM   #14
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdusi View Post
So I figured I would and introduce myself. I'm a new nurse and contemplating the ultimate nomad lifestyle. I'm in my early 30s and have no ties to my home state. I've already moved about 10-12 times since I turned 18 and quite frankly I'm getting tired of renting Uhauls and schleping it all over the state. In 2019 I'll have enough experience and certificates under my belt to be able to sign up as a traveling nurse, however next summer in 2018 I'll have to look for a new place to live since my current domicile will be sold around May (not my choice). So I figured instead of renting yet another Uhaul, why not take the money I'd spend on first/last/deposit on an apartment and invest in a 20'+ towable trailer? I already have a truck that's able to max tow 6,000lbs and the best part is, it's paid for! I have no significant other, no kids, and the dog just passed away earlier this year so it'd just be me and the cat. If I purchase a trailer next year that'll give me a year in it to get my feet wet before I start traveling outside of the state. By March of 2018 I'll be able to sign on as a part-time traveling nurse with my current hospital in state while still working full time to retain benefits until I figure out which traveling company I want to sign up with. I have a lot of research to do, and a lot of things to figure out still. This is all new to me as my family doesn't have much of an adventurous spirit. My grandma did, and when she was around my age packed up the whole family (a husband, four kids, two dogs, three cats and numerous gerbils) in their station wagon and moved across country on a whim. Unfortunately she is no longer with us, so I don't have her to share my wanderlust desires with.
I'm attending a local RV expo next month, have done countless hours of RV & full time research, and am now joining a few different RV forums so I can connect with others and pick their brains.
There is a YouTube channel that chronicles a full time RV traveling nurse that you might find helpful. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/indianmotorcycle101/videos

Good luck with your research!