Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #1

Soon to be RV Full-Timer

Hello iRV2!

My husband and I are in the process of researching RVs to decide which one will work best for us. We are leaning towards a Class A Motorhome but also considering 5th Wheels.

We will be living in it full time on his brother's property. We plan to take it camping at least once a month and maybe do 1-2 big trips a year. We won't be traveling full time, due to jobs we can't leave yet. Traveling full time is something we plan to do in the future.

Originally we looked into getting a Tiny House on Wheels but decided an RV would better suit our needs if we wanted to be mobile in the future. We're currently renting a home and have already started downsizing our belongings.

I look forward to learning all I can from this forum and I'll let you know what we decide to purchase for our future home on wheels. :-)

Carolyn in Texas
zookyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Carolyn! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect RV for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club

If you already have a truck to pull with it's hard to beat the floor plans and space in the 5'ers. Especially if you're not really hitting the road yet.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #4

We don't have one yet but if we buy a used 5th Wheel, we plan to trade in my husband's vehicle on a truck we can afford. At this point we're considering both options. I recently went to an RV show (husband didn't go because he wasn't on board with the RV idea yet) and all I looked was 5th Wheels and a few Class Cs. Actually the RV Show was very overwhelming but I took lots of photos and picked up as many brochures as I could. We have a large used/consignment RV center in our area we're going to go look around, hopefully this week. Thanks for the advice!
zookyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zookyla View Post
....(husband didn't go because he wasn't on board with the RV idea yet)...
......and now he is! You women have way too much power.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #6

Welcome.
Please dont thake this wrong, but unless your both on board and enthusatic about the full time idea you may be in for a lot of disappointment.
Full time living is not for everyone. It takes work to accomplish, and sure does not save money, especially if living in northern climates. Heating bills alone can eat up a lot of cash.
If your going to to be parked in one spot for a time, and this assumes you can legually do it. Have adequate power, water and sewer facilities then a MH is probably not the wisest choice. Trailers offer more living space per sq ft. Remember approx the first 3 feet of a MH are taken up with driving.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zookyla View Post
Hello iRV2!

Originally we looked into getting a Tiny House on Wheels but decided an RV would better suit our needs

Carolyn in Texas
Good choice vs a "Tiny House".
The RV industry has decades of experience & a large range of options in the construction of 'rolling earthquakes".
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Carolyn

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote