Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #1

Starting a new way of life

Hi, everyone! We are starting a new way of life, one with which most of you are familiar. We just bought a 2003 Winnebago Itasca Horizon 39qv and intend to see the country. We've had it home for four days and are slowly filling it with the necessary items for living aboard. It will be months before we set out full-time because we have a house full of stuff to sell in preparation of renting out our home. We intend to go out for a two or three month trip to see how we like full-timing it before we actually sell stuff and full-time it for real. Right now we are figuring out the electrical systems and some of it is eluding us, like what is drawing on our 'house' batteries when we thought the solar panel is supposed to help keep them topped off, etc. That kind of stuff we'll have to ask about in the appropriate forum.

We are also going to start a blog to document and share our travels. We hope y'all will check it out and maybe we'll meet on the road sometime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fleft.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	24155  
CasaLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us! Congrats on the new rig! Good luck on your full-timing venture! Wish we had the courage to do that! Have fun & God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iRV2.

The solar charger does not give you unlimited power. You need to monitor the 12 VDC usage and make sure you do not exceed the amount that the solar panles can recharge during the day.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

jpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig. Lots of changes ahead for you.

If you just have the factory 10w solar panel I think you'll find that it doesn't do very much in the way of keeping your batteries topped off.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats, we still have some time before we can think about that, wish you all the best happy travels : )
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #7

Welcome to irv2 we are doing the same thing u are, we just sold the house and at the end August we're hitting the road, so good luck and have fun

Elmer & Norma Lang
elang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by elang View Post
Welcome to irv2 we are doing the same thing u are, we just sold the house and at the end August we're hitting the road, so good luck and have fun

Elmer & Norma Lang
Whoa! We aren't brave enough to sell our house. I hope you've spent plenty of time on the road to know for sure that you don't want a house to come back to... but then again, these RVs are just like houses. Check out our the blog I just started today at Class A Boomers. (Admin: I hope its not a problem mentioning my blog. I'm not selling anything. Just talking). Hope to run into you on the road sometime.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #9

Congrats on the new rig and your upcoming full time lifestyle!

Happy RVing!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

The solar charger does not give you unlimited power. You need to monitor the 12 VDC usage and make sure you do not exceed the amount that the solar panles can recharge during the day.

Ken
Thanks for the info, Ken. The solar panel was doing the job over the first day or two, but after plugging into shore power, using (and figuring out) the inverter, then turning everything off, we had dead batteries in the morning. We can't figure out what's drawing power from them. The owner's manual, etc, does a poor job of explaining.

Linda
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Linda, welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your Winnie. Go, live your dream.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to iRV2...if you ever make it to Mississippi drop us an e-mail and we'll put a pot of coffee on !
Swansonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swansonia View Post
Welcome to iRV2...if you ever make it to Mississippi drop us an e-mail and we'll put a pot of coffee on !
Thanks for the invite! I've made a note in my reminder book, and we'll take you up on that. Not sure when, but we will be there eventually. We are so looking forward to it.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaLinda
Thanks for the invite! I've made a note in my reminder book, and we'll take you up on that. Not sure when, but we will be there eventually. We are so looking forward to it.
If you give me a little notice, I'll even bake a cake to go with your coffee!
Swansonia is offline   Reply With Quote