Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2007, 02:04 AM   #1

After a 20 year lay off from RVing (boy have things changed!) hoping to resume. Looking at a 29 ', 6600 lb(dry), Sunnybrook TT. I have a 1/2 ton, 4x4, GMC with 5.3, 3.73. rear,factory towing. Truck manual says 7500 GVWR. While we live in Illinois where it is flatand don't see a problem, we do hope to travel east and south. I'm concerned I might be too heavy for the longer tows,especially in the mountains( I'm not planning on the Rockies!). I intend to put a Reese dual cam hitch. Appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!
vasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2007, 02:04 AM   #2

After a 20 year lay off from RVing (boy have things changed!) hoping to resume. Looking at a 29 ', 6600 lb(dry), Sunnybrook TT. I have a 1/2 ton, 4x4, GMC with 5.3, 3.73. rear,factory towing. Truck manual says 7500 GVWR. While we live in Illinois where it is flatand don't see a problem, we do hope to travel east and south. I'm concerned I might be too heavy for the longer tows,especially in the mountains( I'm not planning on the Rockies!). I intend to put a Reese dual cam hitch. Appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!
vasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:08 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
First of all, let me welcome you to iRV2.com. We're glad you've joined us.

Here's a resource that iRV2.com member Ken Lenger put together that will let you work through the numbers for your truck/trailer possible combinations. RV and Tow Vehicle Weights

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A big HOWDY to the site.

As Rusty noted, start with the tow calculator. The GVWR (gross vehicel weight rating)of the truck is the maximum the truck can weigh total on the tow axles with cargo, passenger and hitch weight. It has no beating on the towing capacity except on the amount of hitch weight your truck can carry.

You need to find the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of the truck. GCWR is the maximum the truck and trailer can weigh together including all cargo and passengers.

Manufacturers dry weight is based on a base model trailer, and no options, no A/C, microwave, batteries, propane, water or cargo. By the time you get a trailer of this size loaded, you will probably be closer to 7600# for a real on the road weight.

Best thing to do is to head down to the local scales with the truck loaded for normal travel, passengers, cargo and hitch (no hitch ...add 150#).

GCWR - loaded truck = max loaded trailer weight
GVWR - loaded truck = max loaded trailer hitch weight.

Just off the cuff, a 29' trailer is going to be a but much for a 1/2 ton truck once loaded. As a starting point, you need to look at trailers closer to 25' as a maximum and watch the weight.

On the hitch, get the Reese Dual Cam HP...great hitch. For a brake controller, the bes for the money (as soon as it goes back into production) is the Jordan 2020 Ultima.

Have fun shopping.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:42 AM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I pull a Jayco that's in about the same size/weight range as what you're considering (see signature). Remember, your TT is going to weigh more than the 6,600 dry weight after you finish "furnishing" it. Pulling on the flats, you'll be OK but your combination will literally morph into a "turtle" on any appreciable grade.

To me, a 1/2 ton truck will be pushing (if not over) its limits pulling a trailer that will most likely be in the 3-1/2 to 4 ton range once it's ready for camping.

One question, though: You specified a 7,500 GVWR. This is the maximum number of pounds the truck can weigh (including the tongue weight of the trailer). It has nothing to do with the amount of trailer you can tow. You need to find out the towing capacity of the truck to ensure you're not exceeding it.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:15 AM   #6

Welcome to the site , I would also say yes on a flat short tow your 5.3 is fine just dont use 4th gear . If your going to roam a round the eastcoast you need something more stable and powerfull then what you have. The 5.3 motor is pushing the outer limits for long distance towing at 3500~4000 lbs and the size of your trailer will make you "pucker" in high winds with a 1/2 ton truck. I would upgrade to a 3/4 ton suburban or p/u with the biggest motor your willing to buy with 3.73 or 4.10 gears . I do a fair amount of long distance towing with my duramax truck , on hills I can pass traffic in 6 gear if I wanted , the 8.1 L truck/suv are a very close second in the power dept. The 6.0 L gas motor is a little better then what you have but you need 4.10 gears , good thing is at least it will not run hot like a 1/2 ton. ....