Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2021, 12:20 PM   #1

Transmission fluid pouring out when motor is running

While driving down the California highway 58 I noticed a strong smell and then smoke in my 1989 itasca suncruiser pulled over and there's transmission fluid everywhere the bellhousing cover was hanging by one bolt removed doghouse cover there were two bolts on the passenger side broke off and one loose and a half inch gap between transmission and engine added two bottles of fluid no leak turn it on and it's spraying out I tighten the loose bolt now it pours out from what looks like the front of the converter
Bettsywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2021, 12:22 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Sorry I can't help with that.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
May have to pull transmission and replace front seal. Then replace bolts. Sounds like transmission work was done previously and bolts were not torqued properly.
Old 10-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #4

The torque converter is bolted to the engine flywheel.

It's splined into the transmission and that's where the seal is.

With the Trans shifting around, the seal is torn up and needs to be replaced.

The transmission needs to come out. While out, the torque converter and transmission needs to be checked for cracks and damage.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #5

Are you going to make repairs or shop? How far away from home are you ? Either way.. big repair.. try not run it.. you may burn up trans. Good luck let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-03-2021, 03:01 PM   #6

Thanks

Gonna pull it in the morning I'm sure I'll be back on here soon with more questions that's what I was thinking the problem was I was hoping for a different idea to save the trouble of pulling it thanks for the input
Bettsywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #7

Look close where the converter engages the transmission pump.

A crack will slowly cut the seal and leak again.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211003-192908_Samsung%20capture.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	344998
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #8

If it was mine I'd remove the front pump and replace the bushing where the converter enters the pump, the pump to case gasket along with the front seal and the large 'O' ring around the pump housing.
Like Twinboat said, check the converter hub carefully. If in doubt, throw it out.
Be certain the converter is fully inserted into the front pump before tightening the bell housing to engine bolts. If you've done it correctly you will have to pull the converter ahead after the bell housing bolts are tightened to bolt the converter to the flex plate. The converter should turn freely so you can line up the bolt holes.
It's a good time to replace the trans filter and replace all the fluid.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:06 AM   #9

It would also be helpful to know what engine and transmission combination you have. Once you get the trans. out please post some pictures on here.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. It seem you have already gotten some ideas on the fix for your tranny.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, motor, transmission