Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #1

Upgrading Wiring

Hello. This is my first post, so please bear with me. We bought a 38’ 2005 Damon Intruder ~18 months ago, and we LOVE it. My question is about upgrading the electric to handle the two air conditioners in the hot AZ (Bullhead City, Parker) temperatures. Right now we only have 30 amp service which probably makes it more challenging. Anyway, can anyone give us an idea how much it costs to upgrade to heavier gauge wiring? Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks. Fred and Donna
FPMeyersIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I'm surprised that a 38' rig would have only one A/C unit! I wouldn't think it would be practical to upgrade from 30 amp to 50 amp service. Maybe someone here has done it and can advise you. Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #3

It will probably cost in the thousands but heavier gauge wire won't solve the issue. Each of the A/C units probably draws 14 to 15 amps. If that's the case, then 30 amp service won't cut it, even with heavier wire. You'd need to step up to 50 amp service with separate circuit breakers for each of the A/C units. Like I said, it's a MAJOR undertaking and will cost a considerable amount of money and most of the additional wiring will require come very creative wire runs which will undoubtedly require tearing into the walls and ceiling.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #4

Simple fix, have a second 30 amp shore cord setup installed, with a small breaker panel, for the new AC unit.

At 30 amp parks, plug the original one in the 30 amp outlet and the new one in the 20 amp outlet with adaptor.

At 50 amp park, get a 50 amp to double 30 amp adaptor. Plug them in.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-04-20-16-00-40.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	242858
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:55 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with lots of good info to share.; You have been given two ideas on fixing the problem and one AC in that area will not cut it at all. Two will have a hard time keeping it cool on some days. Good luck

Enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #6

Thank you for your response. The RV does have two AC units. At this point, we just shut one off and use the other. We’re heading to a park where we will have 50 amp service. I’m sure that will help. Thanks again.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
It will probably cost in the thousands but heavier gauge wire won't solve the issue. Each of the A/C units probably draws 14 to 15 amps. If that's the case, then 30 amp service won't cut it, even with heavier wire. You'd need to step up to 50 amp service with separate circuit breakers for each of the A/C units. Like I said, it's a MAJOR undertaking and will cost a considerable amount of money and most of the additional wiring will require come very creative wire runs which will undoubtedly require tearing into the walls and ceiling.
Wow. Thank you so much for your reply. We are on our way to Bullhead City where we will have 50 amp service. That should help. Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Simple fix, have a second 30 amp shore cord setup installed, with a small breaker panel, for the new AC unit.

At 30 amp parks, plug the original one in the 30 amp outlet and the new one in the 20 amp outlet with adaptor.

At 50 amp park, get a 50 amp to double 30 amp adaptor. Plug them in.
Attachment 242858
Thank you! We will certainly look into this option. Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #9

The easy answer...... move to a 50 amp site. Whether in the same park or a different place you just can't run 2 AC's on 30 amp. (with the possible exception of very small units)

Some people have custom wired one AC to run off a separate line, it can be done but you have to know what you're doing to do it. It's one of those, if you have to ask, you shouldn't do it yourself type fixes.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #10

Thank you. We will be moving to a park with 50 amp service late this week. I agree with you. Leave it to the experts. Thanks again!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPMeyersIII View Post
Hello. This is my first post, so please bear with me. We bought a 38’ 2005 Damon Intruder ~18 months ago, and we LOVE it. My question is about upgrading the electric to handle the two air conditioners in the hot AZ (Bullhead City, Parker) temperatures. Right now we only have 30 amp service which probably makes it more challenging. Anyway, can anyone give us an idea how much it costs to upgrade to heavier gauge wiring? Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks. Fred and Donna
Moving is the easy answer.

50 amps will solve the problem or look this over - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...4.cfm#24144314 - old post to hook up ac to seperate line.

Just a thought - more than one way to solve the problem, or use the Coach and the wheels to get to some elevation where it is cooler

https://binged.it/2vhd4Y4 - Brian Head might be a little too cool but then again it might be Just Right. - https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...6#.XL3SHDBKiLt - lot easier to use the Heater than the A/C

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPMeyersIII View Post
Thank you. We will be moving to a park with 50 amp service late this week. I agree with you. Leave it to the experts. Thanks again!
you do have a 50 amp plug on your motorhome ?
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #13

Great suggestions. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojim View Post
you do have a 50 amp plug on your motorhome ?
Yes, we have both 50 amp and 30 amp plugs.

Tags
wiring