Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #1

Smile Vintage Wisconsin Couple and Their Vintage Motorhome....

Hi Everybody,
My wife, Marilyn, and I are finally about to realize our dream of retiring to a life of seeing the country in our 1985 33' Pace Arrow, "Titanic", at least half-time to start with. "Titanic" gets it's name from the appearance of the engine we removed for rebuilding:

Yes, it looks like it came out of the Titanic... plus, it already was a rebuilt motor, but meant for a truck instead of a motorhome. Anyway, after pulling it apart, it became obvious that it would need so many parts and so much machining that it would be less expensive to put in a proper remanufactured unit. We are in the process right now of installing a recored radiator and a rebuilt transmission to go along with the motor.

Being in Wisconsin and having to work on Titanic outside, we need to get this project finished and on the road before the weather turns nasty. We haven't even had time to plan our destinations we've been so busy flogging on it. Right now all we know is that we want to go somewhere between SE and SW.... We hope to learn about RVing from you folks as we travel. To start our learning process, where are the best websites to find work camping?

Thanks,
Dave & Marilyn
1985 33' Pace Arrow "Titanic"

TitanicPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dave & Marilyn;

Welcome to iRV2. I admire your fortitude on your restoration process. Post often and share your travel adventures with us. We have a wealth of information available to you just by asking. I am always pleased to see new Wisconsin members.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Hey Dave, what part of Wisconsin are you from? We split our time between the Madison area (a roof over my head during the work week) and Washara county, where we have a 'second' home (I consider it my primary home). Looks like it will be a couple years before both of us can retire and we can hit the road. We hope to sell the 'southern' home next spring and I hope to retire by June 1st. The second home and retirement perhaps two years down the road.

I've done a vehicle restoration (nothing like a motor home though!). It's always something, and always seems to cost three times the original budget. Good luck with yours.
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Dave & Marilyn;

Welcome to iRV2. I admire your fortitude on your restoration process. Post often and share your travel adventures with us. We have a wealth of information available to you just by asking. I am always pleased to see new Wisconsin members.

Don
Hi Don,
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, right now we've got more fortitude than cash, so we're doing what we have to do to get on the road.... I used to be a race car mechanic so I know how to swing a wrench, but have never tackled something with components so massive. Well, so far we've still got all our fingers and toes, so I'd call it a success (knock on wood).

One question, how are you able to have so many lines in your sig? I keep getting messages that say, "
  1. Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 3 line(s). Long text may have been implicitly wrapped, causing it to be counted as multiple lines.
  2. BB code size value is too big.
"

Thanks,
Dave & Marilyn
Southern Wisconsin
Old 10-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Hey Dave, what part of Wisconsin are you from? We split our time between the Madison area (a roof over my head during the work week) and Washara county, where we have a 'second' home (I consider it my primary home). Looks like it will be a couple years before both of us can retire and we can hit the road. We hope to sell the 'southern' home next spring and I hope to retire by June 1st. The second home and retirement perhaps two years down the road.

I've done a vehicle restoration (nothing like a motor home though!). It's always something, and always seems to cost three times the original budget. Good luck with yours.
Hey J,
If I could get this blasted sig fixed you'd be able to see that we're from southern Wisconsin - the Whitewater area. I've been retired for a year and my wife just retired in August so we're itching to get on the road.

Dave & Marilyn
Southern Wisconsin
Old 10-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPilot View Post
Hi Don,

One question, how are you able to have so many lines in your sig? I keep getting messages that say, "
  1. Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened. You may only have up to 3 line(s). Long text may have been implicitly wrapped, causing it to be counted as multiple lines.
  2. BB code size value is too big.
"

Thanks,
Dave & Marilyn
Southern Wisconsin
I wish I could answer you question. When I posted it I figured for 3 lines and it left a void in the top line and added a fourth.
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 10-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Dave & Marilyn

The State Parks in New Mexico have Park Hosts that camp for free. I'm sure theres no pay but the stay is the compensation.
contact us

If your at all intrested you can call and get more info.

Dick
Old 10-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #8

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Dave & Marilyn

The State Parks in New Mexico have Park Hosts that camp for free. I'm sure theres no pay but the stay is the compensation.
contact us

If your at all intrested you can call and get more info.

Dick
Dear Dick,
Thank you very much for the link! New Mexico was on our short list of places to visit!

Dave & Marilyn
Southern Wisconsin
Old 10-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Dick and Marilyn

Welcome We like the southwest Desert with water, Lake Havasu City Area. Good luck on your first trip. Denny
Old 10-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Dave,

I'm a UW Whitewater Alum, although the city has changed a lot since I went to school there. Old Main had just burned down and Carlson was the "new" business building.

During the work week we live in Lake Mills. It was a compromise since my company transferred me to Milwaukee, and Peggy still works in Madison.

We'll look forward to following your adventures.

Jay and Peggy

PS: I had the same problem with the signature and finally gave up.
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Dave I have to admire a guy that pulls a big block wearing sandals For me it is Top Sider flip flops as long as the weather permits and I too wear them in place of steel toes.

Best of luck with the project and hope you can complete it before the bad weather hits.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Dave I have to admire a guy that pulls a big block wearing sandals For me it is Top Sider flip flops as long as the weather permits and I too wear them in place of steel toes.

Best of luck with the project and hope you can complete it before the bad weather hits.
Mark,
Busted! You have a sharp eye! But I'm afraid that my Teva days are over for a while... the weather has turned colder here in Southern Wisconsin.

We've got the radiator and the transmission back in and we're building up the long block now as new parts arrive and old parts get cleaned and painted.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Dave & Marilyn;

Welcome to iRV2. I admire your fortitude on your restoration process. Post often and share your travel adventures with us....

Don
Don,
Pardon my dumb question, but which section of the forum would be appropriate for us to post about our restoration and our adventures?
Old 10-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicPilot View Post
Don,
Pardon my dumb question, but which section of the forum would be appropriate for us to post about our restoration and our adventures?
Two forums come to mind. The Vintage RVs Forum and the Fleetwood Products Owners Forum would be a good start. The vintage forum is for coaches 20 or more years old and you qualify for that.

Don