Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
We Bought One - Now What?

We just purchased a beautifully maintained 2005 40' Newmar Dutch Star. Looking for tips on driving in the northern climes in the winter.
gtdooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 02:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome aboard!

Is this your first RV?

How old are the tires?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig. Good luck spending cold winters in it .

You are joining a good group friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Good luck enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:49 PM   #4

"Welcome" and get used to great input, a little ribbing and maybe a few snarky comments every now and then!

So WHY on God's green earth do you want to tour in the" North" during the Winter months?!! Man, it gets COLD up there!!!!!

So much for formalities!

Bill
03 American Tradition
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:14 PM   #5

Congrats on your new coach.

May you have many miles of smiles
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:15 PM   #6

Here is my tip, don’t drive in winter unless you are heading south.
Trust me you will be happy in the end.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtdooley View Post
We just purchased a beautifully maintained 2005 40' Newmar Dutch Star. Looking for tips on driving in the northern climes in the winter.
We spent last winter on Vancouver Island because of the closed borders. I grew up driving in winter weather and don't enjoy keeping our 40 DSDP 4095 between the ditches come snowy conditions.
You can stay the winter up north but it is a heck of a lot more fun when you can park in the southern warmth and read about the snow storms rather than living through them.

BTW
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:20 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The basic rule is do not drive on snowy roads. It is nothing like driving a car on snow.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Yeah. Don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The basic rule is do not drive on snowy roads. It is nothing like driving a car on snow.
What he said. I've driven triaxles and semitrailers in snow, because I had to to earn a living and the boss didn't want to hear "but it's snowing". There's nothing like looking in your mirror and seeing your trailer hanging out to the side while going down a shallow grade in a snow storm in the middle of the night on an interstate. Or getting sideways on local roads when attempting to stop on a slight downgrade.

Best advice I can give is wait until the roads are clear. And dry. And the sun is out. Otherwise, stay where you are. That nice coach is not the place to find out how much different it is to drive in snow than a car.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Lots of good advice posted above. I did not notice where you said you would be driving. Post more details for better advice.

Remember, winter comes early in the mountains. Avoid mountains is winter weather. Major mountain passes require chains on wheels before authorities will allow you to pass.

Keep a close eye on weather forecast websites. Go where the weather is better. Hunker down when you can't avoid it.

Rain and ice in southern states poses special problems. Watch out for other drivers even when it rains in the south. I once was following an inter state route through an Oklahoma city. There were almost bumper to bumper cars on both sides of the road in the ditches. There was a brief snow event just prior to us passing through. There was no trace of the snow left when we passed through.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 01:44 PM   #12

Welcome to iRV2. and the Newmar family.

My first day driving in my Newmar was through 8" of snow on the I-15 in Montana , second day freezing fog on the 93 in Nevada .

Winter diving conditions should be avoided in a coach ; always have well over a half tank of fuel and propane and get off the road when conditions are bad .
I consider my coach a 28,000 lb. snow magnet , to the point that it's current tires are winter tread , areas with chain requirements I plan to pass through when the weather is good . Even a 1/4 mile with a broken chain could make my coach a write off ; even if I owned a set , I'd never put them on .
Engine or exhaust brake , OFF any time you're on roads with reduced traction.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Head south soon! Avoid snow and ice and salt at all costs!

The salt on the roads will rust out your beautiful new motor home !

If you must stay where it snows...... keep the slides closed. You don’t want snow/ ice on top of the slides.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote