Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #1

Well, HULLO All you wonderful RV lovers :D

A warm hello to all.

Thank you for such a wonderful wealth of excellent RV information. The shared experiences here have helped in getting me to the point of taking the dive and getting my first RV. It will likely be a Diesel pusher, used Tiffen, most likely.

Lovely wife and I will be moving into our RV and living from there for several months and seeing how we can support this lifestyle fulltime. We have an older Golden Retriever that will be joining us and am happy to have her last years with us traveling and exploring!

I'm testing out possible TT's or a MH that will be our rig. I'm in the investigative phase and am planning on getting something solidified in our name within the month.

Any and every suggestion will be listened to and appreciated.

See ya!

Alphamatter
alphamatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
alphamatter,

Welcome to the forum. You and lovely wife should go to some RV shows and walk around some TT, MH's, and see all that is available. Then go to a RV sale place and sit in the units for a while and just see how it feels. Take your time, don't rush your decision.

Find the floor plan you want, what do you absolutely have to have, W/D, two slides, three, how many feet? Ever driven a MH, will you need classes and they are available all over.

It's so exciting and if you plan to live in it, take your time and look at a lot of them. You don't want to hurry your buying and then realize you didn't get the things you really needed. You got time, enjoy the search.

Good Luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #5

Congrats on your decision .... it is quite an adventure indeed ...
As Lynne mentioned .... take you time ... you may find you changing your minds a few times before you know that you know. We spend over a year and a half in our search ... and when we found the right one ... we both knew it .... Jackie said when she walked in the door .... "this just feels like home"
Enjoy the search ... and by all means ... have fun !!! We look forward to your decision ....
and

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome and good luck in your search.

I agree with what Lynne said. Sage advice.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your choice.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #8

Welcome and good luck - before we bought our Trilogy fiver 3850D, we literally crawled all over dozens and dozens of rigs at several Camping Worlds - lay on beds, stood in showers, sat at tables, open fridges...you have found a great resource on this site! We have learned so much! Happy trails and safe travels!

Paul and Judy and the fur kids
pismocouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:47 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome aboard and good luck on your search....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #10

YES! Thank you all for the warm and inviting welcomes.

Well, whata ya know.... I'm going to Camping World Today! Almost feels like Disneyland!

We have been on and off searching, going to Shows, we had gone to 2 RV shows in Pomona, CA. Also stopped into several RV salesroom's and walked through TT's and 5rs. All, had a little of this some had a lot of that and many were really beautiful.

We have narrowed down the list of necessities, though, not complete and is subject to change as we continue to grow and understand OUR needs...

PRIMARILY, For staying Put several months at a time, either at a campground, RV park or with Friends and Fam... I can see a TT or a 5r being much easier to live in. Though, the pricing of a Truck with the towing power and bed to pull a 5r becomes very expensive when added to the actual 5r. The TT, I was looking at lites and under 8k lbs to be able to pull with a GMC Denali SUV. I've seen very nice Arctic Package TT's as well as been in Easy to drive in Denali's, for about 10k, for the GMC.
So, price is a factor in the Purchase...

Oh, and I saw the IRV2 classifieds and see some great RV's. All that I saw are MH. The get up and go aspect, as well as the use of the Driver/Passenger chairs for living area use is a great point. I also see myself 'working', I do remote Programming support as well as visit Client sites either in CA, UT, GA, IL and NY. For the last 3 states, it's very rare and have always flown in, spent a few days there and flew home. Working from the MH, though, 'cordoning' off the front cab and using it as my 'office' with laptop and phones, then, tearing it down when I'm done... That is something I can see happening.

Well, an MH is what I will be looking at, in the 32 to 40 range. Used, to keep expenses down. The home that I own is rented out and being paid for, with some 'cushion' saved away for the unexpected. So, I currently don't have a mortgage payment or rent payment to worry about. Sold a second home to be in the position that I'm in now.

Here is our short list(well not so short):

Pull our Toad (Toyota Avalon. @ 3k lbs)

Washer/Dryer

60 to 100 GAL. Water tank(s) with corresponding sized Grey/Black.

Have Friends and Fam over fairly regularly(sleep over, dinner, or joining us to our destinations)

Genny

Inverter (to support my Laptop/Tablet/Phone for work)

Internet Mifi/Wifi Extender/Receiver

Closet space for formal wear his/hers.

Room for Bikes, well, a rack will work, so not too difficult.

Under 40k!

Well, there you have it!

As I said, I will be going to Camping World today and jumping on the beds. Would love a King....
Old 05-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here with us.

If you can, find an RV show. Even if you have to travel a ways, it will give you side by side comparisons to help you decide what you will be most comfortable with.

Best of luck with your decision. Happy Trails!!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #12

Have narrowed things down to @ 36' max Travel Trailer with Bunks(Coversion to 'office' then tear down).

Looking for 8,500 lb or so, likely a Jayco Eagle line or a Keystone Passport 2920BH

Then, a GMC Yukon Denali to pull it...

As I will not be travel so often and staying put for weeks to months at a time, I know the GMC would be at it's limit for Towing capacity. It should be ok?!

Primarily, my LTR is not going to be driving a MH. A Yukon, sure. But, not an MH.

Narrowing things down... Though, the TT's that I've seen don't have Washer/dryers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismocouple View Post
Welcome and good luck - before we bought our Trilogy fiver 3850D, we literally crawled all over dozens and dozens of rigs at several Camping Worlds - lay on beds, stood in showers, sat at tables, open fridges...you have found a great resource on this site! We have learned so much! Happy trails and safe travels!

Paul and Judy and the fur kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
alphamatter,

Welcome to the forum. You and lovely wife should go to some RV shows and walk around some TT, MH's, and see all that is available. Then go to a RV sale place and sit in the units for a while and just see how it feels. Take your time, don't rush your decision.

Find the floor plan you want, what do you absolutely have to have, W/D, two slides, three, how many feet? Ever driven a MH, will you need classes and they are available all over.

It's so exciting and if you plan to live in it, take your time and look at a lot of them. You don't want to hurry your buying and then realize you didn't get the things you really needed. You got time, enjoy the search.

Good Luck, Lynne
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamatter View Post
YES! Thank you all for the warm and inviting welcomes.

Well, whata ya know.... I'm going to Camping World Today! Almost feels like Disneyland!

We have been on and off searching, going to Shows, we had gone to 2 RV shows in Pomona, CA. Also stopped into several RV salesroom's and walked through TT's and 5rs. All, had a little of this some had a lot of that and many were really beautiful.

We have narrowed down the list of necessities, though, not complete and is subject to change as we continue to grow and understand OUR needs...

PRIMARILY, For staying Put several months at a time, either at a campground, RV park or with Friends and Fam... I can see a TT or a 5r being much easier to live in. Though, the pricing of a Truck with the towing power and bed to pull a 5r becomes very expensive when added to the actual 5r. The TT, I was looking at lites and under 8k lbs to be able to pull with a GMC Denali SUV. I've seen very nice Arctic Package TT's as well as been in Easy to drive in Denali's, for about 10k, for the GMC.
So, price is a factor in the Purchase...

Oh, and I saw the IRV2 classifieds and see some great RV's. All that I saw are MH. The get up and go aspect, as well as the use of the Driver/Passenger chairs for living area use is a great point. I also see myself 'working', I do remote Programming support as well as visit Client sites either in CA, UT, GA, IL and NY. For the last 3 states, it's very rare and have always flown in, spent a few days there and flew home. Working from the MH, though, 'cordoning' off the front cab and using it as my 'office' with laptop and phones, then, tearing it down when I'm done... That is something I can see happening.

Well, an MH is what I will be looking at, in the 32 to 40 range. Used, to keep expenses down. The home that I own is rented out and being paid for, with some 'cushion' saved away for the unexpected. So, I currently don't have a mortgage payment or rent payment to worry about. Sold a second home to be in the position that I'm in now.

Here is our short list(well not so short):

Pull our Toad (Toyota Avalon. @ 3k lbs)

Washer/Dryer

60 to 100 GAL. Water tank(s) with corresponding sized Grey/Black.

Have Friends and Fam over fairly regularly(sleep over, dinner, or joining us to our destinations)

Genny

Inverter (to support my Laptop/Tablet/Phone for work)

Internet Mifi/Wifi Extender/Receiver

Closet space for formal wear his/hers.

Room for Bikes, well, a rack will work, so not too difficult.

Under 40k!

Well, there you have it!

As I said, I will be going to Camping World today and jumping on the beds. Would love a King....
Old 05-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote