Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Find a local Good Sam or FMCA chapter and join up or go to an outing as a guest. We have 5 single women in our FMCA club and we all offer help as needed. If you are camping and need help just ask a fellow camper, most are eager to help.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldychef2k
You guys are awesome!!!!!

Fortunately, the previous owner kept ALL the manuals for EVERYTHING ! I was really impressed by that.

No propane flows to any appliance, and I just had the tank filled!!!!
Did u check , at the tank that the propane is turned on, and did u make sure your battery disconnect switch is in the "Connect" position?
These are probably the simplest parts of your RV and should be the first things to check. When they fill ur propane tank, the first thing they do is turn the valve off.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to larrymck
Hi Kris,
Where are you located? I am in Livermore if that isn't to far. I am on my 5th 6th or 7th rv. Realize one thing, whenever anything goes wrong, that is not a bad thing. You will learn how to fix whatever it is, and learn where to find help. Right now I'm trying to fix a door awning that stopped working, I will figure it out. So back to you, take things one at a time, figure out what the priority is, write them all down and number them. Then call me on how to get the first one fixed. Actually, let's look at the propane, but before that I will tell you a story about my airstream I bought out of Florida, I loved it the moment my eyes set on it in the Florida swamp which cheeped me out. I buy this thing, but check everything out that I thought I knew I had to check. The engine I left running for 15 minutes, it ran fine. The fridge worked, I turned the water on, it was flowing fine, so I bought it. First we went to the store and load up on groceries to drive it home to California. We drove for about an half an hour, and I noticed the engine heated up. found a place that said it was my water pump, and I would have to pay extra to have it replaced during the night. That was Ghetro and Baba but they did work all night and into the next day. With a new water pump, we took off in the afternoon, and landed just outside Tampa, but the engine seemed to be still running hot. The fridge was not running when we were unplugged from the electricity, So the food was getting warm, but thank God when I plugged in a day later, it worked only while plugged in, needless to say, our food went bad.
So as we drive across the state line, we get a blow out. I have insurance, but when the guy comes out, he can't life the rv, so we wait for about 3 more hours on the side of the road. Next guy changes the tire. We are on the road, looking for a place to buy new tires, the swamp life didn't agree with the tires, they were in bad shape. Lots of thread, and lots of little cracks. We find a place in Alabama where the guy is working out of his garage, it's a Sunday, we decide to chance it. We take it in, he tells me it's the fan clutch that is bad, so I figure nothing else I can do, he pulls out the radiator to remove the fan clutch, then he shows me that I also need a new radiator, but because it is so big, they may have to rebuild mine, So I have it done. Then we are driving down the freeway, the dash air con doesn't work. Turn on the generator, will not start. Going through Mississippi, the black tank falls of my rig, I hear it and see it shooting down the freeway behind me. I store the tank, take off again. It's hot, muggy, and we can't use the bathroom, the fridge is bad, and so is the dash air and the roof air will not run without the generator. To cut this story short, which goes on forever, you should have seen us trying to get through the desert. We get home, my wife get's out of the RV. O' I forgot, in New Mexico we find a mechanic that travels around and does repairs, we have him meet us at an intersection in Albuquerque to repair the Generator. He works on it, and it runs, he charged us and left us a hundred dollars lighter, but that was nothing by now. We take off, half an hour later the generator shuts off, as well as the roof air con. He doesn't answer his phone, so we leave town. So we get home, I take the motor home to my mechanic. Did I tell you I had to replace the water pump on the road New Orleans? Yup, that quit on me. In Nevada I bought a new board for the fridge, and swapped it out, it started working fine. So my mechanic tells me when I go to pick up the rig, that the pick up tube in the gas tank for the generator had a hole in it, that is why I could sometimes get the generator to work, it was when I had a full tank of gas, but as you found out, they don't stay full for long. He pulled the gas tank and replaced the pickup tube. He put a spacer in the on the fan to bring it closer to the radiator, that solved my overheating problem. The tank fell out because the straps holding it in were rusted through, remember the Florida swamp. I replaced them myself with aluminum straps and bolted the tank in, and shimmed it so it would not move around and make noise. Had I done a proper check out, this would never have happened, But I loved that rig, unfortunately, my wife hated it so I had to sell it. I saw the guy that bought it over a year later, asked him if he ever had any problems, he told me none, he and his wife traveled in it for 3 months, not a single thing was wrong or went bad. He loved it, said it was well worth what I sold it for. My wife is worth more then what I lost in money. But we have a great story, and we had a lot of fun on that trip, we still laugh about it. The heavy guy sitting in the middle of the swamp in a small trailer, telling me "it doesn't get any better then this"
So, the propane, make sure it is turned on at the tank. Turn on the fridge and see if it will light, if not, shut it back off and try the stove, see if you can hear gas coming out, if not post help online, someone has had the same problem, and will tell you what to look for. When you get that done, take your number two item, start on that one. Don't let yourself try to fix everything at one time, you will go crazy. One item only at a time, try several times, then post the problem explaining what you have done already. Welcome to the club of RV's. By the way, another thing you can do is go camping, open the engine cover, or climb under your motor home, and in minutes you will have 3 or 4 old gray haired guys like me coming over to see if they can help.
larrymck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldychef2k View Post
I want so much to thank all of you individually for your kindness...but I am overwhelmed today with responsibilities and just can't do you all justice. Thank each and every one of you for your suggestions...be sure I will try them ALL !!! (Until something works, of course!!!)

See ya !!!
Kris, I hope all is going well for you. Be sure to check back in and let us know. Best of luck to you.