Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 07:15 PM   #1

Which the with side patio for live in?

Hello all...we are new to the RV community and feel extremely blessed to have found this site. We are a family of 3 (my husband, my senior son finishing high school in Miami) and myself, looking to buy a toy hauler with a side patio since we'll be living out of this RV for about 8 months. Any warnings? We are in unchartered territory. Any comments and suggestions are welcome...pls.
vrusso42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 06:11 AM   #2
YC1

Welcome to the forum:

Get the owners manual and read it at least twice and take notes. There will be tests.

Find the manuals for all of the devices and read those as well. These things are complicated and not just an ordinary house on wheels.

I'm not sure of your title on this thread. Do you want to have it fixed? If so, there is a little red triangle on the left below your information area. Just click that and a moderator will gladly change it if needed.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:54 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrusso42 View Post
Hello all...we are new to the RV community and feel extremely blessed to have found this site. We are a family of 3 (my husband, my senior son finishing high school in Miami) and myself, looking to buy a toy hauler with a side patio since we'll be living out of this RV for about 8 months. Any warnings? We are in unchartered territory. Any comments and suggestions are welcome...pls.
First welcome to the group from Wildwood, Fl., for now. Orlando next week.

We have a Road Warrior 427 toy hauler with a side patio. There are some issues with the side/rear patios you should look for when purchasing an unit.
One major issue is the patios being "soft" as a result of water damage. Another thing to look at is the manufacturer of the doors.
Our manufacturer is Challenger doors, they use Azdel material in their process. Lippert is another manufacturer and they had issues with the water damage I spoke of earlier. Our RV manufacturer switched from Lippert doors to Challenger doors back sometime in 2017.

But it should be noted Lippert bought out Challenger doors in late 2020, as I understand Challenger still uses Azdel instead of luan subflooring material. Any questions I would contact Challenger to ask them.

If you are going to move this thing you will need a dually pick-up truck, these RV's have a heavy pin weight. We have been full timing in our unit since June 2019. We are going to the Thousand Trails park in Orlando for 2 weeks then going to Sunshine Keys for 2 weeks during Thanksgiving. After that we will be working our way west to get to Goodyear, Az. on February 1st. So we move around and have experience towing this unit. Any further questions just ask, we may be able to help you understand these units.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:27 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Get out there and kick some tires!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:26 AM   #5
YC1

Hamm, enjoy your Orlando trip. The weather is finally cooling a bit.

We are in nearby Davenport.

Cheers

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:12 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Good luck wiht the search and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote