Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2019, 06:21 AM   #1

Woman on a Mission

Hi everyone:
I'm new on the block and I'm looking to purchase my first RV camper...AGAIN. I'm 50 plus a little change, and I've been wanting to hit the road for s-o-o-o long. Probably since I could walk. However, life happens
for one thing, and for the other thing I think I was a little intimidated to go it alone -- partly because I'm female but partly because I can be a big chicken when it comes to taking risks and stepping into the unknown. Well, there's one BIG unknown coming up (just as sure as I'm living!) that I can't do nothing about so might as well start practicing for it now!

I bought a VW van back in 1985 when I was 23 yrs old that was gonna be my escape mobile. Got it for $800 at a used car lot. As it turned out it wasn't worth more than the $100 down payment. I found a great guy named Harry who kept it running..well, until he couldn't. That piece of crap van died but the dream lived on constantly in the back of my mind. Every couple of years or so that itch to break away would send me off daydreaming with the classifieds looking for an older model class c RV I could afford. And then life would happen and lull me back into its mundane routine of things to do, responsibilities, paying the bills, and yada, yada, whatever

I'm not 23 years old anymore and the birthdays just keep coming which I'm both thankful for and a little freaked out about at the same time. I feel fine and all but hey, I'm not sure I how much longer I can keep putting this thing off. So that's my story and I'm tired of sticking to it!

Hope to meet and get to know some of your stories. I'll post my Class C RV hunt in forum. I'll probably call it My Class C RV Hunt or something creative like that.
SunnyDaze365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2019, 06:25 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome aboard! Looking forward to hearing more about your journey. Good luck!
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #3

Welcome from the Bluegrass State.

Have you given consideration to renting a RV for a trip or two to see if this is for you? RV's are great, traveling is great, meeting new people is great, hiking in new locations is great but fixing everything that breaks is a PIA!

Good luck and I hope to see ya on the road someday!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We all start from not having an RV.
Ask questions.
Follow your dream.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Better get busy, you've got a lot of tire kicking to do!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new upcoming life style.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #7

Hi Sunny!

Welcome to iRV2. Lots of friendly and experienced folks here to help out, and a few resident curmudgeons to spice things up a bit. I think you'll find the forums informative and fun.

I'm a single guy a couple years older than you but not yet retired. I'm in a small Class C that was formerly a rental unit from Cruise America (I didn't buy it from them, there was an intermediate private owner between). I'm happy with it, considering the very friendly price I got, the very good purchase experience from Bob Hurley RV in Tulsa, and the condition of the unit for the age and miles on it.

I second the suggestion to rent and travel, at least initially. I pretty much knew what I was getting into at least from a lifestyle/travel standpoint but under-estimated how much interior space (not necessarily storage) I'd need. Having my knees hit the closet door when pulling my pants on, or having to use the space between the dinette and galley as a dressing space, for example, and I'm not a tall guy. Things like that tend to aggravate me because unlike things that break or fail, there is no "fix" to perform. These also can't be discovered until you've spent a few days in the unit.

There aren't a lot of clever floor plans in Class C because there are only so many ways to slice and dice 160-250ish square feet... but find the floor plan that fits you best and see what options and considerations that leaves you with.

What do you think will be your primary use - boondocking without electric/water/sewer hookups, or will you be staying primarily in camp grounds with utilities? Towing a 'daily driver' vehicle so you can keep the RV hooked up in camp while sight seeing, making runs for groceries, laundry or other stuff?

Just some things to think about.

Good luck and safe travels always.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDaze365 View Post
Hi everyone:
I'm new on the block and I'm looking to purchase my first RV camper...AGAIN. I'm 50 plus a little change, and I've been wanting to hit the road for s-o-o-o long. Probably since I could walk. However, life happens
for one thing, and for the other thing I think I was a little intimidated to go it alone -- partly because I'm female but partly because I can be a big chicken when it comes to taking risks and stepping into the unknown. Well, there's one BIG unknown coming up (just as sure as I'm living!) that I can't do nothing about so might as well start practicing for it now!

I bought a VW van back in 1985 when I was 23 yrs old that was gonna be my escape mobile. Got it for $800 at a used car lot. As it turned out it wasn't worth more than the $100 down payment. I found a great guy named Harry who kept it running..well, until he couldn't. That piece of crap van died but the dream lived on constantly in the back of my mind. Every couple of years or so that itch to break away would send me off daydreaming with the classifieds looking for an older model class c RV I could afford. And then life would happen and lull me back into its mundane routine of things to do, responsibilities, paying the bills, and yada, yada, whatever

I'm not 23 years old anymore and the birthdays just keep coming which I'm both thankful for and a little freaked out about at the same time. I feel fine and all but hey, I'm not sure I how much longer I can keep putting this thing off. So that's my story and I'm tired of sticking to it!

Hope to meet and get to know some of your stories. I'll post my Class C RV hunt in forum. I'll probably call it My Class C RV Hunt or something creative like that.
First off Welcome - -

As there is just one of you a Class B might work - 2015 Winnebago Travato 59G - RV & Motorhome Classifieds

https://www.lichtsinn.com/product/us...-59g-938880-13

Budget is Critical and that is likely the first thing that needs to be determined.

Second is How will you use it - FHU's or Boondocking?

Where and when - Heat and Cold - Furnace and A/C

Amount of Time you intend to do this?

Is there an End Strategy? -If it does not work out?

After you have determined the above then you can work on the where.

Best of Luck,

https://www.bemytravelmuse.com/wisco...male-traveler/
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #9

There is a lady that has a YouTube channel that does exactly what your talking about doing. I don't remember the channel name but you might search for it. She has alot of videos about traveling and dealing with things like repairs which is just one of the things you will have to learn about.

There may be others, so that may be a good source of information for you.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WELCOME!!!
I didn't start until I was in my late forties.

I guess the first thing to say is, don't be intimidated. Which is probably the hardest thing not to be whenever you're approaching a new endeavor.
The second the second thing I suggest, if you're purchasing a used one, is to be patient. Again, I speak from personal experience when I know how hard that can be. You want to get out there and start enjoying it yet you have to be patient and wait for the right one to come along.
I started out in an 18 foot travel trailer. I spent a year scouring Craigslist until I found the right one. And it was the right one in every way; length, floor plan and price ( since then I've owned two class A's, also from Craig's List).

The the fun part was not just taking her out on trips, but to make mods to her that made her your own. For example my TT didn't have an awning I added one, it didn't have an air conditioner I added one. I added a microwave and the list goes on. But every little thing that I did made it that much more mine.

One modification that I highly recommend you're getting is an Oxygenics Showerhead and a shutoff valve. it will save you a ton of water and make it feel like you're getting more water on you than you do. Water is rather a premium in an RV. Most especially if you plan on boondocking.

Also to keep in mind is most RVs have 6 to 10 gallon water heaters. That's not a lot of water. Therefore you need to make it go a long way.
Good luck with your hunt!!!
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #11

Welcome! I am a female solo RV owner. I encourage you to explore & enjoy. I took my time & found the right floor plan then modified it (that’s the fun part). Please message me if you have questions. So far I changed the seats to leather; added an electric element to the water (now I have propane & electric options); removed carpet & replaced with laminate flooring; added portable washing machine & a Haier dryer; upgraded to smart TVs; added lighter adapters with 200 watt inverters in various locations; added solar panel; additional battery bank; upgraded converter; added 3,000 watt inverter; added a petite sink in the toilet area; expansion water heater tank; dc/ac freezer under the dinette table; shower head. I took my time & did the work myself.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:18 PM   #12

Welcome to the forum! And hats off to you for making the move to do something you have wanted to do! Good luck on your search for a class C and there's a lot of good advice and suggestions to be found here. And....maybe we'll cross paths at some point!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Carolyns RV Life is one YouTube channel, another is Pandamonium. They are both single female RVers. However if you do a search, I am sure you will find another dozen or more.

Good luck and have fun!

//KMac
kmac7800 is offline   Reply With Quote