Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Working retirees!!

We purchased our first travel trailer (18' Coleman 2013) in February and have used it a few times already. Bought it and towed it with a 2006 trailblazer and got horrible gas milage so we upgraded to a 2006 GMC 3500 crew cab. Go big or go home!! Already have our 2 week 4200 mile summer trip planned from Jacksinville Florida to Mount Rushmore to Wisconsin to Pigeon Forge to home. Half of trip will be in TT, other half will be at families house. Signed onto forum to keep up to date with new ways to improve our trips, travel trailer care, and socialize with people. I have 19 years of working before I retire so we are working out the kinks now. Already thinking about our next truck and trailer. Any words of wisdom are much appreciated!!!
normgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #2

Thats a lot of truck of only an 18 ft trailer. You definitely have room to get a bigger tt later. Did you get the duramax in that?
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by normgm View Post
We purchased our first travel trailer (18' Coleman 2013) in February and have used it a few times already. Bought it and towed it with a 2006 trailblazer and got horrible gas milage so we upgraded to a 2006 GMC 3500 crew cab. Go big or go home!! Already have our 2 week 4200 mile summer trip planned from Jacksinville Florida to Mount Rushmore to Wisconsin to Pigeon Forge to home. Half of trip will be in TT, other half will be at families house. Signed onto forum to keep up to date with new ways to improve our trips, travel trailer care, and socialize with people. I have 19 years of working before I retire so we are working out the kinks now. Already thinking about our next truck and trailer. Any words of wisdom are much appreciated!!!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

You've come to a great place to learn.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the bunch!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #7

Welcome to irv2! It's a great idea to start early to enjoy the great outdoors...why wait until retirement! Glad you're onboard.
Hudgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:07 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Thats a lot of truck of only an 18 ft trailer. You definitely have room to get a bigger tt later. Did you get the duramax in that?
I did get the duramax. I shopped for months and read hundreds of reviews before I made the purchase. I wasn't really looking for the 3500, but I knew I wanted 4x4, diesel, and crew cab. I liked the f250 and 350 interior, but read such bad reviews about the 6.0 and 6.4. I didn't want to risk spending 30k plus on something to break down on a road trip. Don't have time nor money for that magnitude of a repair. My dad hauls freight with this exact truck I purchased except his is DRW. and he has rebuilt his engine, for no reason other than he tinkers... So he is very familiar with it. When I asked him about it, he said it was the best truck he has ever owned and would buy a second one in a heartbeat. So I figured within my budget, if I can get a 3500 over a 2500, why not? I didn't need dually, and found this truck. It's my first diesel and as far as I can tell, will be the only truck I ever own. It's big, fast, mean, and tough. I feel like I'm driving around in a Chuck Norris. I love to drive it and at $4+ a gallon I couldn't care less! I feel like a kid in a candy store and wouldn't sell it for anything. So all in all, I love the truck and it does everything I need it to and we have lots of room to grow. Is it overkill for our TT and my boat? Maybe but I don't care even a little bit.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. Sounds like a great trip you have planned. Have a great time and glad you joined us.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:58 AM   #10

I got my 07 last year Im 40 and I figure I will not need a new one until i retire. You made an excellent choice in a truck.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Welcome aboard, sounds like a great trip, but 4,200 miles in 2 weeks seems like a lot of driving and not much doing......JMHO...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefbvfd View Post
Welcome aboard, sounds like a great trip, but 4,200 miles in 2 weeks seems like a lot of driving and not much doing......JMHO...
Yeah, it's the best we could do with the time given. I enjoy road trips and we have three nights in camper before we get there. Only going to drive 7-8 hours each day and made reservations for our stops. Will stop, check out small town, get a local dinner, relax, sleep. Get up early and hit road and repeat. I have made the drive from jacksonville florida to Sioux Falls South Dakota on my own when I was in the navy and it's a beautiful drive. Lots to see along the way. This time I get to make it with my family and share the drive and sights with wife and 7 year old. Agreed the driving time is extensive, but it's more about the experience with us. My parents traveled when we were kids and I want to share that with my daughter. We will be in mt Rushmore for a couple nights and realistically there's not a ton of stuff there to see that would require more time than that. And if there's more, just gives us an excuse to load TT up for another trip at another date!!! Always looking for a reason to load up and haul a$$!!! There's going to be plenty of down time for us at family house. And overall this will be a good trip for us to either add in or cut out driving, stops, potty breaks, gear, and so on and so on. I'll post pictures as the trip progresses. But again, any words of wisdom or recommended stops in the route would be much appreciated. If you get a chance to google jacksonville to mt Rushmore, and you've made the trip on any of those highways through the towns, lemme know so we can see something fun. Worlds biggest ball of yarn? Sign us up!!!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:15 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
I got my 07 last year Im 40 and I figure I will not need a new one until i retire. You made an excellent choice in a truck.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not into modifying, but if you've discovered anything useful along the way with the truck to improve handling, performance, fuel economy, towing, feel free to share your experiences, good or bad. I've only had mine for a month now and if my wife would let me, I would camp out in the bed of it every night.