Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 11:36 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, we're Charles and Diana

(When we met online almost 18 years ago, we almost passed on an IRL meeting, based on names alone ... but then we did, and the rest is history ...)

We are heading into our golden years (I'm 62, he's 64), though I'm still working part time as a biotech patent attorney - I work remotely, so anywhere I have internet, I can work. Charles takes care of me, the house (he's a retired home builder and master carpenter, and pretty handy with most other things), and our shiftless adult kids (we brought 2 each to the marriage).

I tent camped during my first marriage with my kids, and loved it, but Charles never had camped and wasn't interested - I convinced him to do one 4 night trip in Sequoia about 12 years ago, and that sealed it for him - he HATED it.

In the spring of 2014, a couple down the block bought a gorgeous Class B Pleasureway and I started lusting for it - we got them to let us look inside, and pretty quickly realized that while it might work for two smallish ladies, it was too small for us - we are not so small. So we started looking around at Class Cs, but they were a bit pricey for new, and we weren't even sure we were going to like it (Charles in particular was REALLY dubious - he was, I think, humoring me by pushing for it and then hoping I would back out when he called my bluff).

And then at one dealer we saw her - Sallie Forth as she is now known - a Class A, 2005 Coachmen Mirada QB30. No slides, no frills, queen bed, with less than 25K miles on her. She has a small fridge, stove and oven, microwave, functional A/C and heater, toilet - just the basics. We got her for well under $30K, and started to learn how to travel in her - taking short trips, buying stuff to make us more comfortable. We quickly realized that we needed a toad - and that NONE of our 4 older cars could be flat towed, so we found a very high mileage 2003 Jeep Liberty, got it working properly, and got Libby hitched to Sallie, and we set out for an 1800 mile trip last October only 3 weeks after Charles had very extensive hernia surgery - possibly not the smartest move. But despite his discomfort, we had SUCH a good time, and we were utterly hooked.

Over the last year, we have taken a number of trips of varying lengths, culminating in a 3000 mile trek from San Jose to LA, Phoenix, Carlsbad NM, Santa Fe, Flagstaff (actually to visit friends in Sedona), Vegas, Reno and home - and we decided that we loved traveling in the RV so much, we needed to be doing it full time. And Charles, to his surprise, REALLY loves RVing after all!

So we are putting our house in order (decluttering, divesting, packing and moving stuff into storage), preparing to put the house on the market and get out of Silicon Valley - my work doesn't require me to be here, and so we're just going to leave. The hard part is that all three of our adult 30+ children have fallen on hard times and are living with us (which is one of the reasons we keep feeling like we have to run away), so there is some combination of guilt for kicking them out and leaving them to fend for themselves, as well as realizing that we should have done it sooner. But it is painful to watch them struggling with us abandoning them. And ditto my father, who is almost 85 and lives with a woman who won't marry him because she doesn't want to become financially responsible for him - and she can kick him out at any moment.

SO our intention is to sell the house, use some of the proceeds to buy a 2012-2015 Class A that is much nicer than Sallie (even after putting a sway bar in her, she rides like an old truck - it's bone-jarring), with slides, pack up the three fat cats, and head for somewhere else. We will travel, see the National Parks and the beauty of our country (and maybe Canada too), and visit various cities that we may want to move to for retirement (Phoenix? Las Vegas? Sedona?), stay there in the RV while we decide if we like the place, and then buy a fixer upper for Charles to remodel to our tastes, that has a casita for my father and/or whichever kid(s) fail to make it in San Jose without us, or my derelict brothers - in which case we will have recreated the situation we are running away from right now!

We are currently lusting after an Allegro Red 38QRA (two toilets! we're old!), four slides. We think we can do this for a year, easily.

I look forward to getting the hell outta Dodge ASAP. I packed up the chatchke cabinet this evening, and thought "I don't want to see this stuff for quite a while, at which point I MIGHT decide I missed it, but ... maybe not." I think about being on the road ALL THE TIME, and can't wait to join you road warriors.

The fat cats - who are trained to come to my bed, line up and sit down for treats (the little one is now as big as the middle one - that was from a couple of months ago):

Diana (and Charles - and FatBoy Onyx, Mimi and Milo)
DianaCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 12:28 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Best luck and safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:19 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #5

All will work itself out in time. Welcome and safe travels!
becken6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:46 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome!
Enjoy the adventure...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Charles & Diana! Catchy names! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #8

Carolina Campers
Waving~~~~~

Hi Diana (and Charles)...I see you finally said hello.

For the others reading this, MY husband Charles and I had the pleasure of being guests in their home the summer of 2014 when we did a tour of the country with a pop up that got US hooked on RV'ing and now WE have a motorcoach. And I met two of the three kitties in that photo. Milo came along after we met.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #9

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Welcome.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #11

Loved your post, Your Royal Highness! :-)
We also fled the Bay Area, just a tad north of you.

Happy travels!
Goin Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:56 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
That is the best reason I have heard fro going full time... The children moving back in.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
Loved your post, Your Royal Highness! :-)
We also fled the Bay Area, just a tad north of you.

Happy travels!
Where did you end up?
Old 01-24-2016, 10:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
That is the best reason I have heard fro going full time... The children moving back in.
We got one out in December, the second (and granddaughter) out in early January - just one left. He is the "easiest" one to kick out, because he can couch surf until he gets sick of doing that.