Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Member Check-In
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile Yet Another NooB Retread...

It's been some 35-40 years since I did any RV'ing (and that was with my parents as a kid), but after a great deal of consideration and poking about, made the plunge into a 89 Itasca 32' Suncruiser that was in great shape at a great price. Whoopie! On the road again!

After the initial flush of the purchase, we flew out to Salt Lake City to pick up the coach and ferry it back to South Carolina; a typically uneventful endeavor that turned out completely otherwise. I won't go into details here, but suffice it to say that I highly recommend Bar M Diesel and Automotive in Beaver, Utah.. the guys there are outstanding!! (By the way... what is the typical going rate for a heavy-duty diesel tow rig dragging a Class A 72 miles to the shop? They hit me for just over 400 dollars and I was expecting 3-4 times that much...)

Finally got the coach home and have been playing with it everyday since.. and enjoying it greatly. Since I'm a retired guy, I am having fun tinkering around with and exploring all the systems, not to mention planning for the next outing in the very near future.

Now, if I can just figure out why the refrigerator isn't working....
kratzkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That does sound like a great price for a tow, but you might want to consider a Coach Net or Good Sam membership. Next time you might not be so lucky!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers

Your fridge not working might be a blessing in disguise, particularly if it is a Norcold model. The alarming frequency of those fridges to burst into flames and burn RVs to the frame rails in 10 minutes happens with monotonous regularity. If I were you, I would take this opportunity to upgrade to a {new model/residential/Dometic/amish cooling unit} and ditch ole sparky.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Did you turn it off when you were being towed? if the front was up at all in the air... then your rig was not level... a nono with fridges and working correctly.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang!

Hope you get all the bugs out of the new rig so you can enjoy her!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I'd say you got a great price on the tow service.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow! Didn't expect to get this much of a response! I've been watching this site for a while and got the impression that there were some good folks involve, but I had no idea as to how good!

Heh heh heh... the frige is a Dometic RM2852 dual mode, apparently an '89 model, and no, the unit was not operating whilst being towed It gives weird electrical readings, almost like a floating ground or a wire that is not making a connection within the insulation. The "ON" light will sometimes come on, other times not, then, just for the heck of it, will come on weakly. Go figure. It has DC and AC inputs, so I'm guessing that it may be one of the two control boards, but I'll let a tech figure that one out.....

As to the towing, like I said, I was expecting it to be quite a bit more than it was! In fact, the whole bill, repair, parts, towing and getting to meet the shop cats was just shy of $1,500.. about what I was expecting to pay for the tow alone. Austin and Cody at Bar M are super! As far as the towing is concerned, luckily I had insurance coverage to cover the roadside stuff... so I'm only out of pocket for the repairs.

That's the one thing I had forgotten about RVing... you get to meet some great folks while out on the road... even with the unscheduled stop, we had a great time. The rig is, at the moment, over at the glass shop getting new windshields... road construction in Arizona took it's toll!

Anyway... thanks for the welcome! It's good to be aligned with a good group of folks!! I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions, but I'll try to post them in the appropriate areas!!

Thanks again!
kratzkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard. Glad you joined us. Hope you get everything up and running. Good luck and enjoy all your future travels.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
from NH. It seems like your enjoying the good as well as the bad. A great attitude to have and it will give you great times ahead. Safe travels, and great memories.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote