Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #1

ADMIN - FORUM load delay due to ads

Dear ADMIN

It takes me 13 seconds to load a forum page and my connection is considered reasonably fast. This is awful.

I do a little coding and know the ads are drawn up from other sources but this all takes time. There are more than a dozen such ads including a annoying semi transparent popup at the bottom of the page.

Ads are not the only thing that slows down loading, image size and the number of images as affects performance.

I get you make money on clicks but please consider limiting or modifying this to allow pages to load faster.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Got an example, or link, for the page that takes 13 seconds? I’m on cell phone internet in a marginal area (2 bars) and it seems to take about 3 seconds to load a forum page.

You sound a lot more qualified than I am on these matters, but maybe it’s something else?
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:20 AM   #3

Mine loads in about 2 seconds. That includes opening up the app and the iRV page.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #4

Ad Blocker........19 ads currently blocked

Page loaded in roughly 3 seconds and this is on a landline...internet over phone wire
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Ad Blocker........19 ads currently blocked

Page loaded in roughly 3 seconds and this is on a landline...internet over phone wire
Nailed it!
Old 01-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Ad Blocker X3
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #7

I noticed a delay on this site a day or so ago (but nowhere near 13 seconds) but today it seems to be running normally. 13 Seconds may be a browser issue (or even DNS), have you tried a different browser?

I use Adblocker as well on my default browser, but even on IE11 with no ad blocker it is currently only taking a second or two to load.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Dear ADMIN

It takes me 13 seconds
Think about how that sounds?

Lets make the discussion interesting. What is the longest it takes to get something done without the internet?

You would think the branch of goverment that deals with old people would have a clue. Took an hour and 15 minutes to notify social security of the death of DW.

In contrast I called my insurance company, USAA, and with one voice response I was talking a compassionate person.

Of course getting this site ADMIN to make a change is more likely than our goverment.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Use the dedicated app on a tablet.....much faster then loading a webpage inside a browser.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ok so I updated Google Chrome with ad blocker, tried it, no real change, maybe a second faster, loaded Firefox w/ad blocker, same result. So around 2 seconds to load a page. But I never saw any ads or noticed any delays anyway. Now I’m writing this on the “app” which may have its benefits, but I don’t like it, so I’m headed back to my regular old google browser.

A bit off topic, but we seem to be there anyway:

I did notice that rvt.com, which is plagued by pop-ups and adds, was quite a bit faster and uninterrupted using both the google chrome and Firefox ad blocker enhanced browsers. This seems to be the benefit they try to sell by getting you to pay for the premium version, so this thread has proven beneficial.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #11

Me thinks you have a slow machine. I use laptop google chrome w/ad blocker with no issues at all.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #12

I am running this site on a laptop, with a Verizon Mifi hotspot (for internet a connection) with 2 bars, Firefox browser with ad blocker plus running and a popup blocker. The pages load in under a second. Although in the evening it is slower as Verizon has more traffic on their local tower.

I have found that if the web browser is running slow, I need to run my free CCleaner program to get rid of the saved junk in my system these websites put in there (mainly cookies and tracking junk).

Oh, my laptop is only a few years old, fairly fast and kept updated so that helps a LOT also.
ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I would pay $$$$ NEVER to see ads on any site i log into.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
I would pay $$$$ NEVER to see ads on any site i log into.
This is free:

https://www.slimjet.com/

Kills the ads on Youtube videos as well.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum