Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 08:56 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Podivin,

Thanks for the feedback, I understand which ads you are talking about now. I will talk with some folks to see how we can address it. The last thing we want is sponsors getting more and more blinky just to get your attention.

Andy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
You're quite welcome, happy to help. Feel free to PM me if you need anything else.
In MY opinion, if they just slowed down the refresh rate of the ads it would go a long way. A refresh of every second seems a bit excessive (though I understand they want to catch us before we click to a new page), multiple ads refreshing that often becomes annoying. I think if they slowed down to a refresh of every 10 seconds, or maybe even every 5, it would go a long way towards making things 'calmer' on the right side of the screen.
And really, this is a forum, we hang out on pages for a while reading stuff, it's not like we're changing pages every few seconds. (My guess is that you've got stats somewhere that back that up, something that shows how long people average on a page, or between clicks).
Old 06-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
... The last thing we want is sponsors getting more and more blinky just to get your attention.

Andy
Do I detect just a hint of sarcasm here??

We all know that the sponsors want our attention, but there must be other ways to go about it.

Hey, I bought shocks from Ultra RV Products, does that count for anything??
Old 06-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The way we addressed animation in the past was with very little rules. We basically put a file size limit on the ads so that they had to be under 20KB. Our thinking was that doesn't allow space for much animation. A year or two ago we had a sponsor who wanted to bring over an ad they already made from another site and it was bigger so we increased the size to 40KB. I did this reluctantly only after consulting the IAB to see what they suggest for file sizes. It looks like between now and then our vendors have squeezed every last bit of animation that they can into the 40KB. The unintended consequence of that change was ads that our users feel are more distracting. What we need to do now is find a balance. I will talk to our team and come up with something so it can ensure iRV2 members have a pleasant experience on our community.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #19
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post

We all know that the sponsors want our attention, but there must be other ways to go about it.
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. They could spoil our party if left without any rules. Once someone makes an ad that stands out more the others will follow and it could get ugly. We need to find a balance where they can get their message across but not in a way that is distracting.

Quote:
Awesome! I'm sure they appreciate the business and we are glad they are a supporter of our community.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:

Andy, I didn't read it as a sarcastic response. I try not to read meanings behind meanings. I figured you were sincere in trying to improve the forum. I know that's what you get the big bucks for. (NOW THAT'S SARCASM)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:39 PM   #21

Well, I'm kind of new here, but just my two cents worth...

As a recently retired Information Security Manager, the more incessantly flashing, blinking, and generally annoying an ad is, the more likely it is that I don't want any part of it. Unfortunately, ad's that misdirect to a site ready to deliver a payload of malware, are all to common... and the ad's that wave and scream "look at me and click here" are good ones to stay away from.

JMHO
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
To address the obnoxious ads in the right column, members do have the option of turning that column off:
User CP
Edit Options

However, that also removes the Recent Discussions block, which many members like. Although you can see those top 12 anyway if you click on the New Posts tab.

While Andy works on trying to reduce the blinky ads, at least this is an option for ignoring them.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:04 AM   #23

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Wow, glad this came up.... I have a new banner in the works and I'll be sure to tell them "no blinky".

Also it's helping me confirm my decision to NOT spend multiple THOUSANDS of dollars to support the forum next year.

So, My blinkie ads will go away soon. and eventually all of them.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #24

FWIW this was the discussion I was hoping for. I agree with Podivin and the comment about blinky adds often being traps. I will add that the products here are generally not impulse purchases. We do not need to be lured in. If we need a something we would like to come here and see who is supporting the site so we can give them our business instead of missing them because we are blocking the annoying advertising that distracts from the discussion.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:24 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
Wow, glad this came up.... I have a new banner in the works and I'll be sure to tell them "no blinky".

Also it's helping me confirm my decision to NOT spend multiple THOUSANDS of dollars to support the forum next year.

So, My blinkie ads will go away soon. and eventually all of them.
Sorry you feel that way. Only you can access whether advertising dollars spent in a place that brings people with the exact focus of interests that are your target audience or doing your advertising in a more general way is as efficient.

I would just take the opinions of those that have expressed them here that they are annoyed by distracting, blinking ads and design future ads that offer true value, information, and interest to attract RV owners into visiting your website.

Also as an aside, your threat to pull all ads and support from the website is not a real positive comment on your business. You're admission that, "My blinkie ads will go away soon" shows you're guilty of blinkie ads and you've learned from some forum members that their annoyance outweighs their business attraction. I'd take this thread as an education on how to structure future ads to gain business and not drive customers away.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, I'm thoroughly confused! I access iRV2 on my Apple iPhone and I don't see any ads, blinky or otherwise. What have I done wrong (sarcasm)?

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:11 AM   #27

FWIW you probably have an ad blocker running so you do not see the advertising and a lot of other stuff worth seeing.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW you probably have an ad blocker running so you do not see the advertising and a lot of other stuff worth seeing.

You are correct. I have 1Blocker installed. It does it's job quite well. So well, in fact, that I had completely forgotten about it.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote