Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #29
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
Wow, glad this came up.... I have a new banner in the works and I'll be sure to tell them "no blinky".

Also it's helping me confirm my decision to NOT spend multiple THOUSANDS of dollars to support the forum next year.

So, My blinkie ads will go away soon. and eventually all of them.
Sorry to hear about this. We very much appreciate the vendors who show their support by advertising here (such as yourself). We are working through this issue together and although I think your posts was a bit negative, I still respect your feedback.

Over the last few days we have discussed this issue and come up with what we think is a reasonable solution to overly blinky ads (designed to grab attention). We have decided to require the time between frames to be 5 seconds and advertisers should refrain from using methods specifically designed to blink just to grab attention. That's not too much to ask, only impacts a handful of the worst offender, it should be a nice balanced approach.

As for your decision to leave, activity is up 50% year-over-year. We had 916,000 sessions (visits) from 542,000 unique readers in just the last 30 days! We hope a few hundred bucks a month is a good value to reach half a million RVers. If the ads were not successful that's one thing but please don't shame us over our policies change because you are unhappy. We are just trying to protect our members.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
FWIW I will click on the one or more of the 4 ads at the bottom of the page, I can't remember clicking on any of the other ones
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #31
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thank you for chiming in this thread, Andy. I'm sure it's difficult trying to achieve a balance which provides a happy experience for our members as well as satisfy our Sponsor's wants & pays the bills to keep the site free. We know you can't please everyone & appreciate finding a compromise.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Wow, glad this came up.... I have a new banner in the works and I'll be sure to tell them "no blinky".

Also it's helping me confirm my decision to NOT spend multiple THOUSANDS of dollars to support the forum next year.

So, My blinkie ads will go away soon. and eventually all of them.
What would be interesting to know is why you think you need to run blinky advertising.

I took a look at your site where it appears you have nice stuff at discounted prices. Assuming I needed something I would normally click on your ad assuming I saw it. The problem for you is that I turned you off because you were so annoying. I would really prefer your ad was here as you are right off one of my main travel corridors.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Andy, thanks for making the changes, AND for keeping us in the loop, it's much appreciated!

Lori, thanks for the suggestion of disabling the right column, but like you mentioned, I love the 'recent discussions' frame as well as the campground reviews and RVLife articles - so I choose to keep it there. It is nice to know that's an option though.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:26 PM   #34

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
First, I will apologize... My post was a little testy, and just because I may have been having a bad day, I need to keep that to myself.

I guess I should say that I didn't originally realize my ads were considered "blinky". I was merely trying to put as much information in the ad as possible and still be able to read it. If I put an image of an ice maker up, you might assume I have refrigerator parts, would you also assume from the icemaker picture that I sell other things too? The intent was to show we're not a one trick pony, and that we have many things available, for many different RVers.

Andy is right, there must be a way to come to a middle ground. I'm look forward to having a new banner to present for peer review.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:33 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Glad to hear you are staying.

You offer a nice diversified selection for RV'ers. Love one stop shopping.

I for one am more likely to purchase from a vendor that is part of the forum and supports the forum.

Quote:
First, I will apologize... My post was a little testy, and just because I may have been having a bad day, I need to keep that to myself.

I guess I should say that I didn't originally realize my ads were considered "blinky". I was merely trying to put as much information in the ad as possible and still be able to read it. If I put an image of an ice maker up, you might assume I have refrigerator parts, would you also assume from the icemaker picture that I sell other things too? The intent was to show we're not a one trick pony, and that we have many things available, for many different RVers.

Andy is right, there must be a way to come to a middle ground. I'm look forward to having a new banner to present for peer review.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
I use Ad Blocker and Ad Blocker Plus for all of my Internet use. When I last looked at the main page of iRV2.com, each had blocked 15 ads.

I come to this site for reading about people's problems and hopefully help to solve some of them. I don't come here to read about stuff that I should buy.

They get my $15.03 every year so I don't feel bad not reading ads.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #37

FWIW - the issue is the ads that keep changing while we are trying to read a paragraph or two near them. We go though pages fairly quickly. If the same ad changed every time we load a page I would think you could do the equivalent exposure without the annoyance.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #38

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
The new banners are active... Please give me your feedback....
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:52 AM   #39

I turned ad blocker off to make sure I was not blocking anything instead of trying to un set some selective blocking. So far it looks good.

This is a good page to leave the advertising on if it is not too distracting. Stuff we sometimes need as well as supporting the site.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:03 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Don, those are much less 'frantic', thank you!
By my very unscientific method of looking at the clock on my PC it looks like they refresh about every 4 seconds, that's a nice improvement over the others.
I agree with northermark, this is a good site to see the ads on because they are directly related to things I'm interested in, if not actively looking for.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #41

Back after a busy day and some time on the computer with adblock off. My basic observation is that anything above the first question is fair game. We get to see it but it scrolls off as we get into the questions. Most of the right side is not too bad but there is somebody with a blinking sun the is particularly distracting.

The issue in a nutshell is that once we get down into the questions it is very distracting when trying to work though somebody's description of a problem they do not understand so we can give them some basic help figuring out why their house battery is not charging or something similar.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:33 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
The new banners are active... Please give me your feedback....
Nicely done