Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-20-2021, 10:46 PM   #1
Tech Aficionado

Exclamation Forum loading times

Hello,

I am a first time user of your website, found you by looking for Newmar resources and it looks like you're "the place" to find information for anything.

That said, your forum software has something causing 25-30 second load times on every page load. I am able to resolve it by blocking anything related to adthrive scripting, but I'd rather not be hosing all your ads to have a decent browsing experience. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing issues too, but I checked your main page against several metrics engines and all reported the same issue with a script overrun. I think the issue is located in the second header script that calls Adthrive child scripts, it's causing a render blocking issue while waiting to complete.

If your web admin would be so kind as to take a look, I think it might improve quality of life for more than just myself.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 11:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbazine View Post
Hello,

I am a first time user of your website, found you by looking for Newmar resources and it looks like you're "the place" to find information for anything.

That said, your forum software has something causing 25-30 second load times on every page load. I am able to resolve it by blocking anything related to adthrive scripting, but I'd rather not be hosing all your ads to have a decent browsing experience. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing issues too, but I checked your main page against several metrics engines and all reported the same issue with a script overrun. I think the issue is located in the second header script that calls Adthrive child scripts, it's causing a render blocking issue while waiting to complete.

If your web admin would be so kind as to take a look, I think it might improve quality of life for more than just myself.
Not sure what all this techno stuff means, but I have someting similar going on. When I first go into the site, about half the initial page loads, and it takes about 20 seconds for the rest of the page to load. I can't click on anyting until the second half of the page loads. Once that second half of the lage loads, then everything works normally from there on.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbazine View Post
I don't know if anyone else is experiencing issues too . . .
I am. Long load times, strange failure messages. Just in the last day or two.

(ETA: Just got another one:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.irv2.com. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:39 AM   #4

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just trying to perhaps help those troubleshoot the issue. If I understand correctly Campgroundreviews.com is somehow affiliated with this site. I just want on that site and it's super slow, in some ways mimicking the issues on this site as well. I would think that if they are in fact affiliated sites, they probably share a server.

It's not my computer or internet connection, as all other sites I go on function normally. Hope this helps in the diagnosos and repair of the issue.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:12 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
For those of you with issues, can you post up something about the sort of device, browser and the speed/sort of connection you have?

Wash your hands, flatten the curve - we can do this!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:14 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
For those of you with issues, can you post up something about the sort of device, browser and the speed/sort of connection you have?
Hey Janet,
My Firefox on Mac OS is doing the super slow load here and at Winnie Owners, too. "Waiting for Ads.Adthrive.com" shows in the status bar for me.

I run the Sidebar and the main index frame loads fairly quickly but the sidebar is hanging while waiting for adthrive.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:31 AM   #7

I ended up having to block all javascript from adthrive. Like the OP, I don't wish to deprive iRV2 of revenue but at the point the user experience starts feeling like dial-up AOL, action is taken.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:36 AM   #8

This is a for profit site. The owners of this site make money from it. The more ads, the more money. I use adblock plus on firefox and it makes this and other site much more user friendly.
On this page alone, it stopped 116 different ads/scrips from running.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I have a Moto G7 Power phone as a hotspot, USB-tethered to a Dell laptop. Current speed 48.49 mbps down, 8.42 up. Firefox browser.

Old 07-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #10

Plus the fact that this site uses way outdated software. vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1 It's probably so loaded down with customization, fixes, tweaks and patches that at it's best, it's substandard and slow. This version is easily ten years old. As software goes, it's archaic and antiquated. IMO any for profit site (like this one) still using this version of vBulletin shows they're more interested in profits than anything else. Rack space and bandwidth cost money. I wouldn't expect anything to change.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1361 View Post
IMO any for profit site (like this one) still using this version of vBulletin shows they're more interested in profits than anything else.
To be fair, I've always been "more interested in profits than anything else" in my business ventures. Profit is good.

Old 07-21-2021, 04:54 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1361 View Post
Plus the fact that this site uses way outdated software. vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
The owner is not being cheap or only concerned with profit - he has invested into a full-time staff of some super talented software developers and put in thousands of hours of software modifications (not just addons) into this software.

It is used on 50 forum websites owned by Social Knowledge as well as the RV Life Suite of applications.

https://www.socialknowledge.com/rv-traveltrailer/

https://www.socialknowledge.com/marine/

https://www.socialknowledge.com/assorted/
Old 07-21-2021, 05:38 PM   #13

I have Dial Up Internet....Landline to house then WiFi Modem to my Laptop
using MicroSoft Edge and Ad Blocking

Website loads Fast, Pages load Fast, Posting loads Fast

Hummmmmmmmmm
I'm a 'closet luddite' and have little Techno use but if my Old Landline/Modem works ??????????
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:54 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Well OB, you're not "in the closet" anymore. You just posted that on the INTERNET! I know folks still using Vista on ancient laptops. Works for what they need.

I'm on a W10 laptop/Chrome with Ublock so I'm not having the download issues others are. Wish I could be more help.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum