Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2022, 07:12 PM   #1

How about a "RESOLVED" option for solved threadss?

It seems that just about every thread that starts out with a problem and eventually gets solved still keeps going on and on with folks jumping in to offer suggestions but not reading the whole thread to see that the solution was found. It ends up leading to a lot of confusion (there is already enough confusion when folks don't review the thread first and end up making irrelevant comments). I am not talking about folks who add to the thread with things like "for future reference" or offer other related tips knowing that the issue was already resolved, those comments can be useful. It's the ones who jump in after only reading the initial post and try to solve a problem that is already solved.
I have seen other forums and sites where, once a solution is found it is possible to mark the thread "SOLVED" or "RESOLVED". This is also very helpful to folks trying to find a solution to their issue, when they see a thread with their issue marked "SOLVED" they will know that they will likely find their solution in that thread.
Is this a big deal? Of course not, but in my opinion it would reduce a lot of clutter to wade thru.
What say you mods? Do we just request it from you when our issue is solved or is there another way?
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2022, 07:23 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Even when an OP has solved their problem, there may be other solutions out there. I like reading the other responses because a lot of times they are better, faster, cheaper or easier than the one the OP settled on. I don’t think we should cut off a thread when the OP has done something about their problem. A lot of times OPs come back with an update or pics months later or even longer. I say let people continue to respond. No need to cut off the conversation and potential solutions because one person says enough. No one is forcing others to read through a thread if they are satisfied. Just move on.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Even when an OP has solved their problem, there may be other solutions out there. I like reading the other responses because a lot of times they are better, faster, cheaper or easier than the one the OP settled on. I don’t think we should cut off a thread when the OP has done something about their problem. A lot of times OPs come back with an update or pics months later or even longer. I say let people continue to respond. No need to cut off the conversation and potential solutions because one person says enough. No one is forcing others to read through a thread if they are satisfied. Just move on.
I did not say to cut the thread off, I said to mark it "RESOLVED". Folks can still come along and post alternate suggestions and tips as I mentioned in my post and they will be doing so already knowing the issue is solved, it will just help stop the ones who don't know it's been resolved from filling pages with irrelevant material.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:55 PM   #4

No, please, mind your own business... problem solved..
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:56 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The only people who can change a thread title are staff. We don't have the manpower to read every thread here to determine if the OP's issue has been resolved. Plus, what if a thread question isn't resolved until weeks or months later, or even longer? And what if someone posts an additional question? Who's to go back through old threads to mark them?

Thanks for the suggestion; however, it just would not be feasible.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:52 AM   #6
Community Administrator

You can select “ ignore this thread “ if it’s clutter that’s annoying you. The thread tools drop down menu has this option. This way you will not see this thread any longer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6639.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	368992

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:46 AM   #7

Thanks to the mods for the explanation and answer to my question, I figured it would be too hard to keep up with.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeybitsko View Post
No, please, mind your own business... problem solved..
Thanks for your friendly, helpful reply.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:13 AM   #9

**resolved** lol
Old 06-22-2022, 08:00 AM   #10

While it sounds like we will not RESOLVE this request with a simple solution, I would suggest if the powers that be ever come up with a way to do this, there be a way for the OP to mark the post with the actual solution they used.

I do like the idea of keeping it open for other solutions. I often read a thread, a problem, and a solution, and either find a solution to a problem I didn't know I had, or I figure out that the solution(s) that solved this person's problem might be appropriate to solve a totally unrelated problem I have.

I am a firm believer that these discussions are great to whet the mind to have new ideas.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:07 AM   #11

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=211020
And since they are running outdated vbulletin software with the latest version being 5.6.8, it could easily be added if they ever update the forum software.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=211020
And since they are running outdated vbulletin software with the latest version being 5.6.8, it could easily be added if they ever update the forum software.

Admin Janet says "it's going to happen" but I don't think Social Knowledge, LLC is on the same time table she's been hoping for.

Mentioned this before, but SK has far more forum-based sites than iRV2, and they will probably not change any one site until they can change all of them. It's not trivial on this scale.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
Admin Janet says "it's going to happen" but I don't think Social Knowledge, LLC is on the same time table she's been hoping for.

Mentioned this before, but SK has far more forum-based sites than iRV2, and they will probably not change any one site until they can change all of them. It's not trivial on this scale.

running outdated software is always a concern...
as long as users don't share a password across other sites, it shouldn't be much of an issue though. Hope they do daily backups though. not really any of our problems though.

But if you can't manage multiple sites than it might be a good idea to rethink things thru..
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #14

I participate in a forum that updated from a format like this to a newer format. It was painful to start with, now I find that format much more user friendly than this one.

I don't think it has any provisions for the sort of RESOLVED that we are looking for, but it is also not near as active, so the forum admins could probably handle some of the things manually.