Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2016, 03:19 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
IRV2.com Mission Statement

I did a search of the topic before posting so I hope I'm not re-hashing an old topic.

I've always wondered about the Mission Statement of IRV2.com which reads; Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

My question is in regard to the exchange of 'values'. Now this may be nit picking but is an RV website the appropriate place to exchange values? I have always thought of values as being more to do with morals. I have benefited greatly from others 'knowledge' about RVs and RVing and the 'experience' of others have helped me to avoid some costly mistakes. How do I say this respectfully? There have been posts about different situations where I wonder what moral compass (values) the people are using. Maybe that's where the 'thoughtful' part comes in to play. If we all thought about what we were doing before we did it, we may make better choices.
Okay, I'll get off my soapbox and return to reality.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I think, you are looking at it wrong, OK, not wrong but in a differnet view, a diffination (of which there are many) to consider with respect to worth, excellence, usefulness, or importance, which does fall into what we are all trying to do here on the forum, I think. Maybe that's what it comes down to, what one interprets it to be in the first place.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:09 PM   #3

Value and Mission Statements are management techniques used in businesses through out America. When you walk into a Wendy's usually the first thing you see on a wall is their mission statement. It has nothing to do with morals and everything to do with freshness and service. They are intended to help employees figure out what is important and to help clients measure the success of the organization in meeting its goals.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
I did a search of the topic before posting so I hope I'm not re-hashing an old topic.

I've always wondered about the Mission Statement of IRV2.com which reads; Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

My question is in regard to the exchange of 'values'. Now this may be nit picking but is an RV website the appropriate place to exchange values? I have always thought of values as being more to do with morals. I have benefited greatly from others 'knowledge' about RVs and RVing and the 'experience' of others have helped me to avoid some costly mistakes. How do I say this respectfully? There have been posts about different situations where I wonder what moral compass (values) the people are using. Maybe that's where the 'thoughtful' part comes in to play. If we all thought about what we were doing before we did it, we may make better choices.
Okay, I'll get off my soapbox and return to reality.

The statement you referenced is pretty general but speaks to the general tone of the site and the general site management/operation philosophy.

They are addressed in detail in the site rules but the nutshell version is: "be nice, be helpful and be appropriate".

We want folks to be able to learn, exchange info and have fun - but not at the expense of others. This is the reason we have a prohibition on most political topics, sometimes step in to get a topic back on track and work to keep the board free from rancor. We want to keep the focus on RV related topics and make everyone feel welcome; especially new RVers. It's tough to be the newbie. Thanks for noticing the mission statement and for asking. If you see posts that are a problem you can always report them and we'll have a look.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #5

Definition of 'Value'

noun
plural noun: values
the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something.
"your support is of great value"
synonyms:worth, usefulness, advantage, benefit, gain, profit, good, help, merit,

2. a person's principles or standards of behavior; one's judgment of what is important in life.
"they internalize their parents' rules and values"
synonyms: principles, ethics, moral code, morals, standards, code of behavior

Stick to #1 definition and your responses would be of 'value'

Definition #2 should have been taught by parents and others ------come middle school folks know what their 'moral compass' is .
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #6

old-biscuit,
I agree with your dictionary definitions of 'value' but not sure that we are trying to teach anyone about a 'moral compass.'
There are more pressing concerns on the forum nowadays, such as: which new pickup is the best tow vehicle?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
old-biscuit,
I agree with your dictionary definitions of 'value' but not sure that we are trying to teach anyone about a 'moral compass.'
There are more pressing concerns on the forum nowadays, such as: which new pickup is the best tow vehicle?
Joe

OP was concerned with the 'moral compass'
I just gave them an alternative to 'value'

Example would be that MY 2007 Dodge with 5.9L CTD was best value for my towing needs at time of purchase over the models available from FORD at that time with the troublesome 6.0
It was against my long held values to drop FORD from my go to list but they were of considerable less value in my opinion
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:03 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
Ah, but the getting things back on track part, and whether or not it is even necessary, often reflects the "values" of a particular moderator. That is why, as the OP suggests, that term is quite slippery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The statement you referenced is pretty general but speaks to the general tone of the site and the general site management/operation philosophy. ... This is the reason we have a prohibition on most political topics, sometimes step in to get a topic back on track and work to keep the board free from rancor. We want to keep the focus on RV related topics and make everyone feel welcome; especially new RVers.
Johnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:44 AM   #9

I think the "values" you're referring to represent the overall demographic of the active members of this site: generally speaking 50+, male, tending towards conservative. It shouldn't be surprising that from time to time people weave their opinions into RV discussions that can sometimes reflect the views of that population group.

But no one is excluded. Younger people, women etc all participate here. Every once in a while a discussion morphs into politics or about guns and can get heated. That's when the mods step in to cool things down. I think this is all for the best as it keeps the discussions focused on why most of us are here, to discuss RVs and RVing. There are plenty of places on the Internet for more spirited discussions.