Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #85

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Couldn't agree more Lori!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #86

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
For those of you that do not like to see the discussions of sensitive topics seems like the simple answer is don't read them. I will abide by the rules. Just seems funny that because some you don't like reading about guns, religion, or politics the rest of can't talk about it. I don't like to watch NASCAR, MSN, CNN, The Cooking Channel, WWF, etc... rather than asking the cable company to delete them I just don't watch them.

Some RV owners travel with guns and have questions, seems relevant to RV'ing.
Some go to church, they might like to ask questions about churches and religion in areas they travel to, seems relevant to RV'ing. Does this take Christmas off the list. Will we now be discussing the holiday season?
Does politics extend to veterans, the American flag, etc... While maybe not directly relevant to RV'ing seems like a lot of members enjoy discussing these topics.

Glad those of you who don't care to read about these issues are protecting us form ourselves.

Like many others I find a lot of benefit here, tons of information and lot's of good people so I will abide by your wishes.

I agree the moderators have a tough and often thankless job and they do their job well. Just seems a shame to ban topics some of us like, to keep the peace with those that do not like them, rather than suggesting that those not wishing to see these popular topics simply resist reading them.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Banning guns and politics when related to RV'ing seems childish when we are all supposed to be adults. The mods can delete or edit any offensive post and/or ban the poster not the issues or topic.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #87
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
With tens of thousands of members, there's just no way to make everyone happy. The one thing we can do is try to keep this site focused on RV'ing - one thing we ALL agree we enjoy & the reason we all came here.

Personally, I feel the focus needn't be on the 5 off-limit topics (which is pretty small, don't ya think?), but on the hundreds of topics we can enjoy. Helping a member troubleshoot a mechanical issue, recommending a great campground/vendor/product, RV modifications/improvements, showing off your new or new-to-you RV, group/regional/national campouts, anticipation each year of new floorplans/models....the list goes on & on. Let's concentrate more on what brings us together & less on what divides us.

Lori-
I agree Lori!

The site is called irv2 and not iopinion2.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #88

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
? Was reading a few weeks back a thread about SS. benefits and how the "Government" or "Congressman" were looking to change things up in the future. Is a thread like this now a No No to talk about on IRV2 ? Which would fall under the new rule of " general government policies " I'm going to guess. In my opinion this is a subject matter that I'm concerned about because I'm nearing a age where I'm deciding when to retire. Which effects my future RVing lifestyle....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Old 12-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #89
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Stepping back & taking off my moderator/administrator robe, when I read that section of our Community Rules, what stands out to me is the section:
Quote:
Discussions about specific or pending legislation or regulations that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they become disruptive.
Specifically the word directly. In the case of what you're talking about, Jim, what the Government does with SS may impact you which may impact your future RV'ing lifestyle. IMO, for this instance, the Government's actions indirectly pertain not directly pertain. Although I'm sure you would disagree the closer you get to be SS eligible. It is a fine line & one that can be difficult to pin down.

The other part of that rule is the "if they become distruptive" section. More often than not, that happens. So the moderators have to step in.

Lori-
Old 12-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #90

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
The moderators do not receive any payment for the work they do and do not always have the time to read every thread here. They have been very lenient IMHO. Some of the things posted not only deserved deletion but the poster should have been banned.
I have not ever seen anything posted here that would justify a ban. Granted, I'm a fairly new member. Bans are for spammers and trolls, not people with strong opinions that differ from yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Let's give them a break. They help out because they want to help and deserve applause.

BTW Not sucking up. If I say something dumb, fire away.
Agreed. Moderating a forum of this size is a huge job, kudos to those who do it, and I am grateful for them. I didn't mean any disrespect to the moderators with my 'laziness' comment. The point I was trying to make with that comment is that it is lazy to summarily ban topics that are relevant to the RV focus of this forum just because they tend to become unruly.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #91
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I have not ever seen anything posted here that would justify a ban.

That's good. We're doing our job, then.

Lori-
Old 12-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #92

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
The problem I see with these new rules is that there is discussion that is relevant to RVing that involves politics and guns. It does the community a disservice to forbid discussion of these topics, and amounts to laziness in the moderation of this forum, in my opinion. There is already a rule against personal attacks. Civil discourse is possible (probable even, given the calibre of participants here) even on highly polarized topics. Enforce the rules, but let relevant topics continue, as long as they keep to the overall RV lifestyle focus.

All that having been said, I realize that my use of this forum is a privilege granted at the pleasure of the forum owners, and so any rules they impose (no matter how unreasonable *I* feel they might be) must be adhered to as a condition of my continued participation. And so, as long as the rule is in place, I will endeavor to keep my own experience on these topics to myself, difficult as that may be.
Very well said -- shame that we apply the same fix as our society does for its problems.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rules and laws are put in place to make everyone conform. Some people will not do the right thing unless they are forced to. If everyone behaved properly, we would not need any rules....but that is not likely to happen. We still have the ones that feel rules do not apply to them.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 12-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
interesting....

I gotta say to me, these discussion have merit, and I'll miss them. I think it's short sighted of "management" to adopt a "hide our heads under a bushel" approach, and will miss some of these more spirted discussions.

Those I didn't like, such as the gun toters, well, I just didn't read em.

OMG... someone with an "adult attitude"... if ya dont like it dont read it ! WOW What a concept.

And we wonder why we aren't allowed to say the Lord's Prayer or Pledge of Allegiance in schools... must have several ACLU Lawyers on staff !

Censorship and the killing of Free Speach are prime reasons our country is what it is these days. Heaven forbit we should speak of religion, murderous firearms, or corrupt politicians...
Old 12-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quite frankly I gave up 21 years of my life so that freedoms would remain as part of our AMERICAN SOCIETY and to have it cast aside in the "spirit" of fostering discussions that only cater to the meek and mild discusts me.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #96

Winnebago Owners Club
Agree with previous poster - I served 30 yrs to defend our freedoms but continually see examples where we must appease all factions of our society to keep everyone "happy".:-):-)
Old 12-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #97
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well gentlemen I did my 20 as well and somewhere along the lines while serving it seems I had to adhered to a lot of regulations, here I thought we all came under the same UCMJ while serving not to mention that each branch had it's own operational rules and regulations so please do not put the freedom card out there.

I'll stop at this point.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
Old 12-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #98
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Since the free speech card has been thrown out, may I please direct you to the following sections of our Community Rules:
Quote:
About the First Amendment and Your "right to free speech"
We believe in public freedom of speech but that right does not infer that others have to publish your speech. iRV2.com is not a public resource; it is privately owned and we require members to abide by our rules and by the decisions of our staff. If you post outside these guidelines your post may be edited or deleted - this does not violate your right to Free Speech.
Quote:
Someone has to interpret the above guidelines and how they apply to this forum. Ultimately it's up to our site moderators and administrators to make this decision. If you have any questions about these guidelines, please feel free to contact us.
A site with a membership as large as ours takes dedication to run as smoothly as it does. Our volunteer staff of moderators & administrators are here because they love iRV2.com & RV'ing. We don't like having to enforce our Commuity Rules anymore than some like not adhereing to them, but as Ken stated, if everyone behaved, we wouldn't need rules.

Lori-
Closed Thread