Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

irv2 time stamp

Perhaps others have commented on this before but I was wondering why the posting time is indicated as "0812 PM" for example vs "2012 hrs" or "8:12 PM".

While this is not a big deal, I would imagine most members relate to the unambigious 24 hr time hence when we see 0812 hrs we automatically think morning and 2012 hrs we think evening.

Just musing by the keyboard thats all? Does anyone have the answer why this unusual way of indicating the time is used on this site,
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm, interesting. On my session, your post has a time stamp of 07:47 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

The 0812 PM was an example of course, but my post was really @ 2047 hrs EDT I suspect yours might show CDT if you are in that time zone. My comment related to how time was displayed and not really about the time zone.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:38 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Are you questioning the missing colon ":" in your example or the fact that the hour has a leading zero?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Perhaps others have commented on this before but I was wondering why the posting time is indicated as "0812 PM" for example vs "2012 hrs" or "8:12 PM".

While this is not a big deal, I would imagine most members relate to the unambigious 24 hr time hence when we see 0812 hrs we automatically think morning and 2012 hrs we think evening.

Just musing by the keyboard thats all? Does anyone have the answer why this unusual way of indicating the time is used on this site,
It's either a formatting error on the programer's part or a formatting limitation of the program itself, does that help?
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #6

It is the leading zero - no big deal either way - Just wondering, but the missing colon is also of interest. Just that the 24hr time display would seem more practical.

One of the posters also noted while my time was displayed in the EDT zone, she saw it as displayed in another TIME ZONE. I.E. Mine was shown as "0847 PM", yet her/his was shown as "0747 PM" - cool likely the person was in CDT or the computer was set to that time.

Have never seen any time display always using 4 numeric digits unless a 24hr display was used except on this very excellent and well managed forum. Cudos to all those who take care of these things.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Hmmmm, interesting. On my session, your post has a time stamp of 07:47 PM.
The time stamp shows 08:47 PM on my browser. The colon is present.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post

The time stamp shows 08:47 PM on my browser. The colon is present.

Sorry I made an error, yes the colon is there on all it is the use of. The zero.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I guess the vBulletin software programmer thought the leading zero should be there.

Members can set their time zone in their profile.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I guess the vBulletin software programmer thought the leading zero should be there.

Members can set their time zone in their profile.
Thanks - but what is used is a very unusual way to display time. But being in the air force for 31 years one gets used to, and prefers the 24 hr format. It removes the ambiguity. But in this case for the forum, it is not a big deal either way - I was just "wonderin",

I think going to Zulu (AKA GMT) might be confusing to some but that would work for me also, Z time removes ambiguity altogether, but I did not know the profile could be set for time zone corrections but I use the android app 99% of the time and did not notice that feature.

Thanks again - with another helpful response,
Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You can set your time zone to GMT (Zulu) in your profile, but there is no provision for 24hr time.

I'm quite familiar with 24hr time and Zulu time courtesy the USAF ANG, and also the Julian calendar, but that's a different topic.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The current format looks good to me, and the am / pm gives me a complete understanding of whether it is daylight or dark .
Old 06-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #13

Must have to use PC for that feature, my android app does not seem to have that option. Too bad the 24hr option was not there.

Will log on with my PC and take a look. Thanks again.

But "08:30 PM" does throw one off a bit because it is unusual. When I see 0830 my mind automatically thinks morning. But I adjust quickly.

And AM or PM does not always imply daylight or darkness in lattitudes far from the equator.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And the colon is not displayed in the 24 hour format. 0800 is 8 o'clock in the morning and 2000 is 8 o'clock in the evening. - Just some information for the beginners of the time world.

Most of the time if I look at the forum display time I see the 08?? and automatically assume morning - then the PM pops out and - oh well!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote