Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #225
Community Administrator

No fight here. I was a Marlboro Man

No tattoos though.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #226

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
In the interest of modern technology I am now smoking and electronic cigarette supplemented by a real Marlboro from time to time
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #227

When I was on an RC car forum, I asked the forum owner why he didn't include the text with the automatic reply notification, and he said he got paid for every click. Probably ± $.0000000000000000002, but he made money for every click. If irv2 implements that, I'm outta here.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I don't understand how anyone can think that just posting "the forum was slow," warrants any type of reply!

So much missing information (see previous post(s)).

Oops! I replied.
Not slow here, never has been, but I am using

Firefox

Cable Network at 20 mbps download, 3.5 mbps upload

Adblock Plus add-on for Firefox so the ads are blocked. I don't even have a flame under the avatars, that is how much blocking I have.

Typical web page load on iRV2 has been 2 seconds or less.

So, now, who has the problem and what browser are you using.

Do not even try to tell me that it doesn't make a difference. If you do a Google search on your particular browser and state that it is slow, you will most likely find information, and some of it will go back several years for one particular browser known to have loading problems.

Maybe we should set up two poles in one thread. Browser type, and is it slow?

And you think that is fast? I have been using Opera for many years and it loads irv2 pages in <1 second; even faster on RV.net. You have made many post about how FF is fast on irv2, but your perception of fast may differ from others.

Some of you should try Opera; it has Ad Block and other Ad blockers.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #229
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post

And you think that is fast? I have been using Opera for many years and it loads irv2 pages in <1 second; even faster on RV.net. You have made many post about how FF is fast on irv2, but your perception of fast may differ from others.

Some of you should try Opera; it has Ad Block and other Ad blockers.
You are correct, perception is in the eye of the beholder.

My statement of "less" puts it down around the 1 second mark, and for me that is fast enough. Even 2 seconds is fast compared to all the others complaining how slow their "system" is. After all, it "is" just a comparison.

Please understand that I am not trying to insult anyone. I have only offered temporary solutions, or permanent depending on the user, to a situation.

If someone decides to leave iRV2 because of the slowness of the website, well in my opinion (read opinion) it is their lose. (or loose)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #230

As I said, I have been using Opera for a long time. I've tried FF and can't seem to get it to do what Opera does... as far as screen format and sizing. Some sites say I am using an incompatible browser, but only a very few won't still work. It even has options to "Mask" as IE or FF or "Identify" as IE or FF. I wish more people would give it a try as it loads faster and displays pages faster than IE or FF.

I didn't take your posts as "insulting" at all.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #231

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chrome , FireFox, Ad blockers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Why drive a Chevy (IE) when, for the same price, you can drive a Cadillac (FireFox) or a Lincoln (Chrome)?
I have not used FireFox, but to say that Chrome similar to a Lincoln. NOT. . . I have installed / used Chrome and I own a Lincoln. Chrome is more like the 1962 VW bug I use to own. They both work and some people love them, but they both are just basic vehicles to get from one place to another. I found Chrome does not seem to like Win 7, locked up my PC more times than not. When I uninstalled it, the problems did not get any better. After some research I found that once Chrome is installed it is not a clean uninstall. There are residual commands left in the registry that have to be manually removed one by one. It took me over a week to find and remove all these buggy little critters. And even then my PC was never the same until I did a full Format and reinstall of Win7. A Norton registry cleaner couldn't find and remove all the nasties that Chrome left behind. I wouldn't install Chrome again on any computer ever again. I'm running IE 9 on my desk top and IE 10 on my laptop and both machines are Win7 64bit with 6gb ram on each. I find websites all load in slightly different times. Time of day also changes load times. I'm not running the fastest Internet connection (bottom end of cable broadband) but it is the same connection for all the websites I visit. irv2 loads slower than any site I visit. It consistently takes 6-8 seconds to load the main Form page and 4-6 seconds for a selected topic to load enough read. irv2 is the slowest loading site I visit.

Many are saying download and use 'this' or 'that' browser and install ad blockers. My question is, . . why do I have take the time and go to the trouble to install something I really don't want to use, just for this site to work properly on my computer when every other site I visit seems to work just fine with the software I currently have?

With all that said, the value of the people and the information on irv2 is such that I will continue to visit irv2 even if the load times go to double what they are now. I would like to move around here a little faster, but, really, how much time do I loose waiting an extra few seconds for a page to load? Not enough to worry about. I just use that time to take another sip of coffee.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #232

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkersRanch View Post
I have not used FireFox, but to say that Chrome similar to a Lincoln. NOT. . . I have installed / used Chrome and I own a Lincoln. Chrome is more like the 1962 VW bug I use to own. They both work and some people love them, but they both are just basic vehicles to get from one place to another. I found Chrome does not seem to like Win 7, locked up my PC more times than not. When I uninstalled it, the problems did not get any better. After some research I found that once Chrome is installed it is not a clean uninstall. There are residual commands left in the registry that have to be manually removed one by one. It took me over a week to find and remove all these buggy little critters. And even then my PC was never the same until I did a full Format and reinstall of Win7. A Norton registry cleaner couldn't find and remove all the nasties that Chrome left behind. I wouldn't install Chrome again on any computer ever again. I'm running IE 9 on my desk top and IE 10 on my laptop and both machines are Win7 64bit with 6gb ram on each. I find websites all load in slightly different times. Time of day also changes load times. I'm not running the fastest Internet connection (bottom end of cable broadband) but it is the same connection for all the websites I visit. irv2 loads slower than any site I visit. It consistently takes 6-8 seconds to load the main Form page and 4-6 seconds for a selected topic to load enough read. irv2 is the slowest loading site I visit.

Many are saying download and use 'this' or 'that' browser and install ad blockers. My question is, . . why do I have take the time and go to the trouble to install something I really don't want to use, just for this site to work properly on my computer when every other site I visit seems to work just fine with the software I currently have?

With all that said, the value of the people and the information on irv2 is such that I will continue to visit irv2 even if the load times go to double what they are now. I would like to move around here a little faster, but, really, how much time do I loose waiting an extra few seconds for a page to load? Not enough to worry about. I just use that time to take another sip of coffee.
Sorry if my analogy didn't fit your situation. It was meant mainly in jest. Everyone's individual setup is different.

I just took my DW's Ultrabook which is running 4 Gb of ram and Win 7 and called up irv2 on a Chrome browser without Ad Block Plus and without logging on so that I would get the full frontal advertisement assault and the page load times were acceptable. I say acceptable because they were only a smidgen (couple of ms) slower than my 2 Gb laptop running Vista and Chrome with Ad Block Plus.

I do maintain both of these machines regularly. One of the biggest problems the general public has with their home computers is that they fail to do regular maintenance. Anti-virus scans are put off until later. Defragging of hard drives isn't carried out on a regular basis. Windows Registry isn't cleaned regularly. Temporary files and downloaded files are allowed to accumulate. Browser caches are rarely, if ever, dumped. Software and device drivers are rarely updated. I suspect that for many folks this is the case. I'm not trying to point any fingers or accuse anyone of anything. I'm just bringing up some things to try if you are one of the folks who are having throughput issues.

Example: The most recent Java update is Version 7 Update 13. If you are running anything less than this version, you're out of date. Java Downloads for All Operating Systems
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #233

Regardless of all above, iRV2 is slower than any other site I visit........................
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #234

What is regularly?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #235

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
What is regularly?
Regular computer maintenance is usually relative to how heavily a specific machine is used. Because my laptop is the workhorse in our coach it gets an anti-virus scan daily. My defrag program is set to auto-defrag and I will usually manually defrag the hard drive(s) at least monthly. The Registry cleaner and defrag program are also set to run automatically but I also run those manually every couple of months. Browser caches are dumped every Sunday morning. I am ashamed to say that I am guilty of not cleaning out my "Temp" and "Download" folders often enough and should probably being doing that at least monthly. If you feel comfortable with opening your Device Manager you should go through it at least annually to ensure that all devices on your machine are running up to date drivers.

DW's Ultrabook gets less attention because it gets less use. Anti-virus scan is done weekly. Disk defrag, browser cache dump, registry scan & defrag whenever I do manual scans on my own laptop. The same goes for program and driver updates.

Your mileage may vary.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #236

I use ESET anti-virus and thought it was active all the time and don't run it. Don't remember if I even can. I know that if it sees something it doesn't like, it has a pop-up that lets me know. I run Malwarebytes and CCleaner and defrag with PerfectDisk 12 whenever I think it is running slow. CCleaner has a mile long option list that lets me chose what to delete, including temp and download. MB doesn't have as many. Cleaner just deleted a bunch of stuff. Probably have to login to a bunch of sites again. MB just finished and didn't find anything.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #237

If you thought irv2 was slow, try this one. It'll make you think your browser/ISP/modem/computer or all of the above is/are broke. Trust me, it does load.

http://rvservicereviews.com/StateList.asp?state=TX

Old 02-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #238
Community Administrator

That loaded quickly on my iphony.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote