Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 03:58 PM   #1

Is there a big difference?

Hi everyone, we love our Class C 31’ Winnebago Minnie, but want to graduate to full timing it shortly, and are looking at a 40’ Vectra KD diesel pusher. Is it going to be a very huge difference to drive and maneuver ? The wheel base is only 47” difference, but what does that really mean to handle?
JoanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #2

I'm not the most qualified to answer, I suspect, but . . .

I drive a 28' C. I have driven 40' A's. You are going to notice a difference in drive quality.

In my experience, it will be better in most respects.

Your frame and structure will be more solid. You will have less flex. You will not always be loaded close to or above weight capacity.

If there's a downside to the A, it will have to do with ground clearance at the rear. If you regularly go into bad roads and wild places and cross ditches and washes, it will be harder.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanM View Post
Hi everyone, we love our Class C 31’ Winnebago Minnie, but want to graduate to full timing it shortly, and are looking at a 40’ Vectra KD diesel pusher. Is it going to be a very huge difference to drive and maneuver ? The wheel base is only 47” difference, but what does that really mean to handle?

I had a 40 ft DP then downsized to 25 ft Class C. There is a substantial difference in driving them. On a class A DP you sit above or even in front of the front tires, so visually you handle interactions and turns differently. The extra length comes into play on tight turns, especially right turns. But you will learn the differences quickly. My DP was also wider than my Sprinter based class C, so that can freak you out a bit in construction zones or city driving, but again you can adjust relatively quickly. Most DP’s ride better than a Class C in my opinion due to air suspension and weight.

Find an empty parking lot and put out some cones to practice, learning when to start your turns so as the side or rear of the coach doesn’t clip the corner.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Take it to a big parking lot and practice maneuvers....using some orange traffic cones to stand-in for cars and trees so no damage is done.

Tail swing may be more of an issue......depends upon how much chassis is behind the rear axle. A tag axle DP handles better than a non-tag if you have the option to buy one.

Air ride suspension and Diesel engine in the rear gets two thumbs up !!!! You will enjoy it.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:04 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We went from a 24 ft C to a 40 ft A pusher and a huge difference. Practice in an empty parking lot (mall).
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We went from a 31' Class C to a ~40' DP. Both my wife and I think it is actually easier to drive. You sit up higher for better visibility. The front wheels are actually behind the drivers seat and once you get use to the turning it does provide better maneuverability. The ride is much better and when we are passing or being passed by large trucks it doesn't get pushed off the road. I doubt I would go back to a Class C.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:37 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with everyone that there will be a difference but not a huge difference. I don't think you will find the A hard to drive at all. Some find the size intimidating at first but a little seat time usually makes that go away very quickly. C's or A's you still have to be aware of things like tail swing, right turns and coach height.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:52 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We went from a 38' A gasser to 45' DP. Learning pivot points and getting used to the extra length making turns was first challenge. Once you are on the Interstate, the better road manners and smoother drive was quickly appreciated. Each rig will be different, and expanding you comfort zone to the new rig will take some time. Empty lot practice is a great recommendation, getting used to air brakes and learning how the rig feels in turns and stops will help you on the road. Getting used to the Jake Brake on road will take a bit of time, but you will love it in the hills.

best of luck
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:57 AM   #9

If you have a co-pilot they may be intimidated with how close to the shoulder they seem in the passenger seat compared with a Class C. Not a huge issue but felt I should mention.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #10

Are you sure 40 is big enough have capacity for you to FT. How many have you walked through to get a feel for floor plans with slides open and closed. The fear to drive a bigger unit will fall of quickly the floor plan lasts forever. Not the best time to walk through a bunch in your budget though.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:19 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Is there a big difference? Definitely, but not something that you can't handle. The big difference is realizing how much you've got hanging out behind you. It would be good if there was somewhere you could get some hands-on driver training in a rig of that size. You'll be fine, just take it slow and easy until you get used to it!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Class "A" = you turn right and the rear swings left.
Watch out for the gas pumps, and the big steel posts that guard them !
Ask me how I know...........

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:49 PM   #13

You might want to recheck the wheelbase numbers. A 40’ DP will be much larger difference than to 47” you mentioned. The ride and drive are so much better plus the engine in back is quieter. As everyone else mentioned practice until you are comfortable. There was a learning curve from you car to the class C. Enjoy.
2TxAgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:00 PM   #14

Not sure the year you are looking at but I did the same switch. 31 Foot Class C to a Vector but with a Freightliner Chassis. Had the Cat 350 in it. Mine was the 36 foot though.

I felt like the Vector was easier to drive. Turned much tighter. The freight liner chassis turned the wheels really tight. Way tighter than the class C Ford's chassis.

When I look back I realize the class C was really a stretch van which does not turn the wheels all that sharply. The Vector was luxury by comparison as it was designed to be an RV from the ground up.

I thought the stretched class C had more tail swing but that was just my perception. I never did a formal measurement.

I remember being at about 6000 feet in that class C on the flat but with a headwind. I had the gas pedal floored and we were slowly losing speed as the headwind picked up. I told my wife I was never doing a long trip in this again. We were towing an Accord and probably overloaded as those long class C only have a few pounds of CCC. So the engine performed admirably for what it was. We were just asking too much from it.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote