Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #29
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
As I understand it, you only need to use it once. Then save your login credentials below the email and password, and it should log you on without it each time you access the site from that device.
Not quite. Some browsers will auto-fill in log in credentials - especially if the browser already has the user name cookie on it. So when a member clicks that Click Here To Log In button, it may already have that member's user name filled it & they'll have to change it to their email. If they don't they'll get an invalid user name/password error message, same as if they typed either their user name or password wrong the old way.

I'm not an IT person, but I'd think they might have to delete cookies/clear cache to get rid of that saved cookie log in so that the fields don't autofill with their user name in error. Then log in with the email/password combo & check the Remember Me box. That should, then, store the new credentials on your device for future log ins.....I think.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2019, 12:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Not quite. Some browsers will auto-fill in log in credentials - especially if the browser already has the user name cookie on it. So when a member clicks that Click Here To Log In button, it may already have that member's user name filled it & they'll have to change it to their email. If they don't they'll get an invalid user name/password error message, same as if they typed either their user name or password wrong the old way.

I'm not an IT person, but I'd think they might have to delete cookies/clear cache to get rid of that saved cookie log in so that the fields don't autofill with their user name in error. Then log in with the email/password combo & check the Remember Me box. That should, then, store the new credentials on your device for future log ins.....I think.

Lori-
Yeah. I use a Microsoft computer and sometimes forget that there are other devices out there that act differently.

I click the link, and it just comes up -- already logged in and aware of who I am.

Nonetheless, this is not going to be as bad as some users seem to think.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:40 AM   #31
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sometimes people are adverse to change, just because it is change. That is unfortunate as most change is for the good, or expansion. Lord O Mercy, think of Windows. How many changes over the years has it had and everyone has changed some type of GUI (Graphical User Interface) button and put it in a different place. Eventually one gets used to it.

Saving the log-in credentials eliminates having to sign in each and every time. There are other programs out there that will also allow for automatic log in. 1Password would be an example. Go the the IRV2 website, click on the browser extension of 1Pasword and then click on iRV2. Auto-fill takes over and you're in.

Just remember that if you clear your browser cache and history you will be clearing out all your other log-in information in most browsers.

Let the changes begin. I for one find more good on the forum than bad and would not leave just because of a log-in change.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Does this mean we can finally detach our display name from our login name (which is a bit of a security risk in and of itself with these clunky vbulletin boards)? e.g. most any other forum software on the planet allows one to have a display name rather than use the login name in posts, this is what I assumed when signed up as Spaceball, but alas I have never been able to change that, so I'm forever known as Spaceball on any post I make.

Proper security and functionality would conceal username completely, have a public display name, and of course option to conceal email addy.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
Does this mean we can finally detach our display name from our login name (which is a bit of a security risk in and of itself with these clunky vbulletin boards)? e.g. most any other forum software on the planet allows one to have a display name rather than use the login name in posts, this is what I assumed when signed up as Spaceball, but alas I have never been able to change that, so I'm forever known as Spaceball on any post I make.

Proper security and functionality would conceal username completely, have a public display name, and of course option to conceal email addy.
If you want to change your user name, please select the "Contact Us" button at the bottom of most every page on iRV2 to request that from the Admin here. We have to do that for you.

This will not impact the log-in change coming March 5th.

Please take a moment to check to see if your requested name is available by searching here:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/members/list/

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The change will occur next week and you will see the change on the login screen. We just wanted to give you a heads up.

For everyone who is concerned about security...

This will be a more secure way to login. Currently 1/2 of your login credentials (your username) are publicly visible but your e-mail address is not. Your e-mail address doesn't display anywhere on this site.

You will login with your e-mail address and your current site password. You are free to update these anytime you like in your user cp.

We take member privacy seriously and don't sell, rent, loan or share members contact info.
Can you add more detail to changing password? What is "user cp"? I cant find changing password anywhere. Also did not find "contact us" on the bottom of any of the pages. Im moving from one phone to another and have no idea what my password is since ive only logged in once and stay logged in.
Btw - i only use my phone for access, so maybe windows interface is different from android app.
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #35

Have to be on full site.....not on phone..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:52 AM   #36

I think it's a good idea to make that change and most of the web sites are working that way, it's sure to be easier to remember our email if you are registered on multiple diffferent sites like I do.... After my search on a specific site I always delete cookies/clear cache so...
zl1tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:45 AM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
So, just so I'm clear, what should I be doing now to make it a smooth transition?
Old 03-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #38
doc

Appalachian Campers
I don't even know what my password is. The 5th is my birthday. What a present to ask a geezer to remember something he hasn't used in years.
That may be the last you guys hear from me unless I can figure this out
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #39
Community Administrator

There’s nothing to prepare for that’s going to be difficult. You’ll need to log in using your email address and password. Your username will still show in your posts as usual and your email address will not .
If you’ve forgotten your password , please contact us using the “ contact us “ link that’s at the bottom of every page on the full site. We’ll issue you a temporary one with instructions on how to change it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #40

For the last several days whenever I try to login on my Opera browser (which I've been using for years as my default), I'm unable to succeed. Multiple attempts are fruitless. I use Lastpass which will autofill when the login option appears. I'm shown as online in the users panel at the bottom of the page. After several attempts it will finally yield the popup page Thank you for logging in panel & dump to the main page where instead of showing my USER CP it shows REGISTER, so I'm actually not logged in.

Any suggestions as to a solution.
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:27 AM   #41

May I recommend going to Lastpass.com.
"LastPass remembers all your passwords, so you don't have to." & it's free!! You will have to remember your master password. Write down your user name & master password & you're all set.
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #42
Community Administrator

When logging in try selecting “remember me “. You may also try clearing your browser cache and deleting iRV2 history to resolve this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
For the last several days whenever I try to login on my Opera browser (which I've been using for years as my default), I'm unable to succeed. Multiple attempts are fruitless. I use Lastpass which will autofill when the login option appears. I'm shown as online in the users panel at the bottom of the page. After several attempts it will finally yield the popup page Thank you for logging in panel & dump to the main page where instead of showing my USER CP it shows REGISTER, so I'm actually not logged in.

Any suggestions as to a solution.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote