Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Login Changes - login with email soon

Next week as you login you will be prompted to use your e-mail address and password instead of your username and password. This change is being made for a number of reasons.

The biggest reason has to do with the forum being part of the RV Life family of sites.
Many of us have accounts at other RV Life sites, specifically CampgroundReviews.com (formerly RV Park Reviews). In time you will be able to login to The Forum as well as other RV Life sites where you have accounts with the same login, simplifying things substantially.
We hope to have an enhanced mobile app available as well that will allow you to read and post on multiple RV Life sites where you have registered an account if you desire, although this is not yet fully developed.

Some other reasons:
  • Username logins were case sensitive and often had punctuation that could be miskeyed or forgotten and has been a regular cause of login trouble.
  • It's easier to remember your e-mail address then username for most folks.
  • E-mail address are not visible on the forum but usernames (half of the login combo) are and so there is a little better account security.

Your username will remain unchanged and display as usual next to your posts.

If you have trouble logging in with your e-mail address instead of username there will be some prompts on the login screen to help you and a link to update your email address if needed. .

Thanks in advance for your patience with these changes - we're working hard to improve security and keep the site easy to use.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #2

Not sure of the reasoning behind the change
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:01 PM   #3

I never heard of the RV Life Network. Here’s list of their sites in case you are interested. http://www.rvlifenetwork.com/rv-traveltrailer/
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:13 PM   #4

How does one delete one's own profile/account?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
Me neither. Seems everyone wants a persons e-mail address. Everytime I give my address to a company I'm buying from the number of undesirable incoming e-mails double within a short time.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Me neither. Seems everyone wants a persons e-mail address. Everytime I give my address to a company I'm buying from the number of undesirable incoming e-mails double within a short time.
X2.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
The main reason, per Janet's post:
Quote:
Many of us have accounts at other RV Life sites, specifically CampgroundReviews.com (formerly RV Park Reviews). In time you will be able to login to The Forum as well as other RV Life sites where you have accounts with the same login, simplifying things substantially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
How does one delete one's own profile/account?
Please use the Contact Us link, found at the bottom of ever page, to request an account closure.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Keep in mind they already have it or you couldn't get email updates.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:48 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am uncomfortable with making my E Mail password available. At least that is the way I read it, or are you saying E mail password and my IRV2 password?
Old 02-28-2019, 05:55 AM   #10

How will this affect the search function of this website?

For example, when I refer someone to a past post, I would identify myself as Matt D, not my email.

I’m concerned this change may only lead to confusion in that situation.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I am uncomfortable with making my E Mail password available. At least that is the way I read it, or are you saying E mail password and my IRV2 password?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post

For example, when I refer someone to a past post, I would identify myself as Matt D, not my email.

-Matt
They don't want your email password - your password to this site will not change unless you change it.

Usernames will not change, the only change is: you will use your email address as the Username instead of your "handle"/current username when you log into this site.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post

-Matt
I think the problem/reason is that they want to try to increase interest and traffic across all of their websites and forums. Since not everyone can have an identical "handle" username across all of them, for various reasons (already in use by someone else?), they want to use everyone's email address, assuming it's unique, and allow access to all their websites. In my opinion, it's not as simple as using a username, which we all select for simplicity, because email addresses are usually longer than usernames, and not everyone likes to type their entire email address, example JosephAverage@anydomain.com versus a username like "JoefromOhio".
I'm not saying I don't understand the reasoning behind this change, just that it should be optional.

I'm asking that the Moderators/Admin remove my username (Winterbagoal and MikeCanuck) from all their owned domains. I sent a request yesterday through the ContactUs link on the iRV2 website. If they also control WinnieOwners.com, could they please remove me from there as well? I set up MikeCanuck yesterday on iRV2 to see if I could fashion a simplified workaround, but it doesn't function as expected. So, I'll simply ask to be deleted/removed from the RV Life websites.

Admin: If it ever becomes optional to use just a username on your websites again, please drop me an email and I'll probably come back.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
They don't want your email password - your password to this site will not change unless you change it.

Usernames will not change, the only change is: you will use your email address as the Username instead of your "handle"/current username when you log into this site.
Correct. It's actually more secure as mentioned in the original post. Your username (mine is MapleKing) is visible, everyone has half of your login. Since your email address is unknown, now you have two pieces of data that are more closely held. I think it makes sense...more security and easier to remember.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #14

How do we make this happen? I don’t mind change.