Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2022, 07:34 PM   #1

Mold spots on EPDM rubber roof

Hi there:

Bought a 2005 Georgiaboy Pursuit last June that has an EPDM rubber roof. The rig was, and is in good shape but roof had not been cleaned in quite a while. I cleaned it with elbow greese and Dawn last year and removed old lap sealant and replaced it. It came out pretty good but still has black spots from mold that had been growing before we bought it. Any tips on returning the roof to "spotless" white again... products that work better than others, what NOT to use?? I did clean it again today with a power sprayer first and then Dawn and soft bristle brush and it turned out ok but still the spots. Would love any suggestions or tips.

Thanks

Frank from PEI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210607_100438.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	366387   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210607_100510.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	366388  

fanabuurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2022, 07:52 PM   #2

Mine old roof used to get this way once a year. I use a bristle hand brush with a bucket of car wash. Takes time and elbow grease.

My concern was run off during the wash. I wanted to avoid anything that would hurt the wax. I remember hearing there’s a spot/mildew remover available, but I don’t know much more.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
17 years old... is Paint not an option?

FWIW, it looks like a speckled pattern; so if you know it is clean and mold not able to grow, you are prolly alright.

But for what you are asking, I would just ensure the roof's integrity and get painted and be good for another 10 years.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanabuurs View Post
Hi there:

Bought a 2005 Georgiaboy Pursuit last June that has an EPDM rubber roof. The rig was, and is in good shape but roof had not been cleaned in quite a while. I cleaned it with elbow greese and Dawn last year and removed old lap sealant and replaced it. It came out pretty good but still has black spots from mold that had been growing before we bought it. Any tips on returning the roof to "spotless" white again... products that work better than others, what NOT to use?? I did clean it again today with a power sprayer first and then Dawn and soft bristle brush and it turned out ok but still the spots. Would love any suggestions or tips.

Thanks

Frank from PEI
Frank,
Those spots could also be the natural rubber showing through. We had a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V on the F-53 chassis with the V-10 and over the seven years we had it, the White rubber roof almost turned completely black. You see, the way those rubber (EDPM) sheets are made is, the base is black rubber. The top is a coating of white. During natural evolution, time, SUN, acid rain, exposure, road elements and more, the white coating WILL wear off. Seen it many, many times.

I took great care of that roof. It was washed on a regular basis with just soap and water. But, that coach spent ALL of its time in the SUN. I could not afford an indoor storage at that time. When I finally had enough and that roof has migrated from exactly what you're seeing, I'd done the research and ended up putting two coats of Dichor Roof coating on it. It was pure white all over again and it lasted for several years 'till we sold the coach and it still looked great with ZERO black on it.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:22 PM   #5

Haven't heard great things about painting rubber roofs, any suggestions on that?
fanabuurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:01 PM   #6

Two-part Dicor. Follow the instructions closely. Works very well. Looks brand new. Extends life.

https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-Roofing...00BRFS8Q&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-RP-CRCT...s%2C129&sr=8-8

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #7

If you've ever looked carefully at an acoustical ceiling tile. It looks a bit like your roof. Pitted. Just could be by design.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:52 AM   #8

I have had similar looking black spots on boat non- skid surface... the pores / recesses are difficult to clean.
I have had some success with Spray 9 and a little patience and a brush.
I use Starbright Deck Cleaner on a regular basis and it works well... again brush and it takes some time to work.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:27 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Awsome cleaner. Biy a bottle of Awsome, wet the roof, spray some of it around and wash with a long handle brush.Click image for larger version

Name:	5061939D-C96E-44BF-8224-A34C6CA9DADC.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	366552
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:36 AM   #10

Over the years I've gotten great results from scrubbbing the roof with a mixture of 2-3 oz bleach and a cup of car wash soap in a 5G pail of water. I use an old RV wash brush on a broom handle to scrub the roof a few times a year.
My RV roof returns to a very white surface again after scrubbing off the dirt that falls out of the air and the mold/mildew that results.
I also use this same mixture when washing the rest of the RV. Awnings and plastic trim are also free of mold/mildew.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 08:49 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

You don't "paint" a rubber roof, but you can brush or roll on a suitable liquid rubber coating, e.g. Dicor rubber roof coat, Henry's Tropical, etc.

But first try strong detergent & bleach applied with a medium-bristle brush and rinsed well after. Or if you prefer, one of the more expensive commercial "rubber roof cleaner' products. It may remove all the black stuff. If it doesn't, it should still kill the mold in preparation for the over-coating process.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:39 AM   #12

Detergent and bleach. May take more than one application. I've used a diluted bleach solution by itself and you'll want to give it some dwell time. Apply the solution and let it sit but keep it damp, don't let it dry, then brush or rinse. If you have some patience and store the rig outside, Wet and Forget works very well.

Is the mold flush or is it raised above the surface? It has a bit of a Lichen look. Lichen will take more scrubbing but Wet and Forget will get rid of it too. Try the fingernail test. Lichen sits on the surface and sets roots into the roofing. Get it wet, and try to removing it with a fingernail. Mold will come off that way too but it grows more into the surface and a fingernail will only remove the surface part. Lichen will mostly come off but leave a slightly rough/pitted stain behind depending on how long it's been there.

As for the suggestion for Totally Awesome! cleaner, be careful. I love the stuff, but have used some version of that cleaner for 40+ years and while it really is Awesome!, it's also very easy to damage painted surfaces with it. It's primarily a degreaser, and you can take the shine off paint and aluminum with it especially of it sits too long, or dries on a surface. One of the active ingredients is Lye which is why it cuts grease so well. We used a commercial version and I saw people do a lot of damage with the stuff, usually to painted surfaces. Like I said, I love the stuff, but always use it with care.

Depending on how stained the roof is, you may never be able to restore it to a like new whiteness without recoating. If you do recoat, make sure you kill the moss or lichen.

Get down real close and look at the stains. It's not unusual for mold or lichen to grow on drops of tree sap.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 10:05 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

mold issues

we have seen this with many of our customers roofs. The problem is if you don't kill the mold spores matters will just get worse. We always suggest to our customer to wash their roof twice a year. The rv repair shops we have worked with swear bu our roof protect cleaner. Once it is opened it reacts to air and it actually emulsifies the contaminates on the roof and also kills mold spores.

Of equal importance is when you are look for a roof coatings be sure that it contains mildewcides to help avoid mold growth on your newly coated roof !

here is a good video on how to avoid mold on the inside of your unit as well
RV Roof Magic.com The RV Industry's DIY roof coating for over 30 yrs. 10-Yr Warranty. Our proprietary solvent allows for a chemical cross-link cure not found in other coatings.No primer needed one coat! Call 855-281-0907
RVRoofMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof