Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestme13 View Post
Where do we gain access to the chat rooms ?
Steve, It's still where it was ....:

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/chime

Use this link to get access to the chat room. You may have to login again on the "Eve" side. I don't know how long that Chat Room will be allowed to remain open.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #44
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I performed more checking on why my forum screens are scrolling so slowly. There is a significant difference between our desktop (lots of processing and graphics power) and the laptop (less processing power). The desktop scrolls smoothly, while the laptop takes over 10 seconds just to page down one screen. While I am waiting, the CPU utilization on the laptop zooms to 55-65%. Other web pages (except the forum) scroll smoothly (even with lots of graphics).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
Talking

I found the ADVANCED tab and I like it! This new set up takes some getting used to, but as I fumble my way around it is getting better.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
I also note that it took 2 days to do an overnight swap, perhaps a 1 day total. Now, I do this sort of thing for a living, so I have some experience with migration of data, so my opinion is a tad biased. For smoother migrations in the future, running twinned systems is the recommended method of migration, this allows you to beta test everything with a copy of the existing active sites data before you do the big swap, and tends to result in less admin/user headaches.
Just a quick intro, my name is Jeff and I help out Andy, Janet and the rest of the team with many of the technical aspects of the site. I was not really part of the migration, but will be here for the tweaking.

For a standard migration, I will a agree with you. Without getting into too much technical details, I will say that this was anything but standard. First, we had basically no access to the eve servers. We just get the data and that is it.

Second, the software running on eve is completely, 100% different than Vbulletin. There are so many key data points that nailing it perfectly is next to impossible.

Considering the massive amount of options, beta testing will never cover everything. There are many options here that did not exist with the old software or were different. Certain assumptions had to be made. The system isn't perfect, nor can it reasonably be expected IMO.

I understand those who are wary of the changes. I myself used to use different forum software years ago. In the end I fell in love with VB and I think many of you will to. We do have some bugs to iron out and also have to get this up on the big network to balance out the load and ease the congestion we will be feeling this first week.

Thank you all for your patience!

- Jeff
Tech Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:53 AM   #47

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Yep, the more I use it the more I like it
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:49 AM   #48

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Admin View Post
Just a quick intro, my name is Jeff and I help out Andy, Janet and the rest of the team with many of the technical aspects of the site. I was not really part of the migration, but will be here for the tweaking.

For a standard migration, I will a agree with you. Without getting into too much technical details, I will say that this was anything but standard. First, we had basically no access to the eve servers. We just get the data and that is it.

Second, the software running on eve is completely, 100% different than Vbulletin. There are so many key data points that nailing it perfectly is next to impossible.

Considering the massive amount of options, beta testing will never cover everything. There are many options here that did not exist with the old software or were different. Certain assumptions had to be made. The system isn't perfect, nor can it reasonably be expected IMO.

I understand those who are wary of the changes. I myself used to use different forum software years ago. In the end I fell in love with VB and I think many of you will to. We do have some bugs to iron out and also have to get this up on the big network to balance out the load and ease the congestion we will be feeling this first week.

Thank you all for your patience!

- Jeff
Far from wary, just more of a head scratcher. Since I'm unfamiliar with what Database backend the eve servers were running with their cold fusion driven chatroom app, I cannot comment on the ease of the construction of a set of conversion algorithms for the migration to rename table values to match the php/mysql back end that VB and IVPB use, so I can imagine there was an added degree of headache.

And I totally agree with, based upon your description of the situation that with the great differences between the two databases, that there was no way to get everything perfect until you, as I put it, "Threw it to the Wolves." There's no greater QA agent that the general user, they will always find the bugs that you never even considered possible.

My comment on the amount of time more pertained to my experinece being more in the business area where down website = sales lost, so we must endeavour to get it as perfect as possible, with the very minimum amount of downtime between the two versions of a site to migrate. This usually has always entailed making a dump of the active sites database and working out scripts to automate the migration as much as possible (usually these just consist of an array with a series of SQL queries in them to changed field types, values, and names). Depending on the database back end, this isn't always easy, especially if the DB system in question does not have a dump utility accessible to make as close as possible to pure SQL flat file of the database.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:35 AM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Today is the first time that I've been able to log onto the forum since the change. I kept getting error messages and no response to my attempts to make contact about them.

It will be interesting to see if this works better or not. I'm always optimistic about changes. It might take me a while to figure out exactly how to use all of the features that come with the new format.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #50
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post

I also note that it took 2 days to do an overnight swap, perhaps a 1 day total. Now, I do this sort of thing for a living, so I have some experience with migration of data, so my opinion is a tad biased. For smoother migrations in the future, running twinned systems is the recommended method of migration, this allows you to beta test everything with a copy of the existing active sites data before you do the big swap, and tends to result in less admin/user headaches.

Hi RedneckExpress,

The big difference here is that none of the administrators or moderators who handle this stuff gets paid to do it. We're delighted that you made a living at it but here we're all volunteers who do this as a pastime. I made my living in a totally different field.

We're sorry you were disappointed with our efforts and apologize for our shortcomings, but we try to please.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:34 AM   #51

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Hmm, interesting. How do you do that without a host site?

The little 'Insert Image' tag asks for the URL
You don't use the "Insert Image". You use the "Attach File" below the text block when you're creating your post - click on the "Manage Attachments" button. You'll notice one option is to Browse your computer to select the file.

Using this feature, I've attached a photo of some integral engine/compressors our company builds.

Rusty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July_CB_Legacy_5[1] (Large).jpg
Views:	152
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	68  
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
Hi RedneckExpress,

The big difference here is that none of the administrators or moderators who handle this stuff gets paid to do it. We're delighted that you made a living at it but here we're all volunteers who do this as a pastime. I made my living in a totally different field.

We're sorry you were disappointed with our efforts and apologize for our shortcomings, but we try to please.
My only reason for commenting on the swap over Hitch was to offer advice for future changes so that you guys have to spend less time mitigating issues and more time enjoying posts. I had not meant my comments to be a direct put down of your efforts, but they do come across as harsh, and I apologize, they were only meant to be to the point and constructive.

I know none of you get paid to maintain this site, I don't get paid to do the root admin work for the camper forum I belong to. If the option had been available, I would have been more than happy to have helped with the migration.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #53

I am seeing messages with a 4:28PM Today time stamp which is not in any reasonable time zone that I can see. It is currently 10:49AM MST in Phoenix. We are not on DST. This equates to 1:49 PM EDST.
bimmerz_vn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #54

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Whne I view peopple posts they look norma, avatar and signitures seem correct, but when I view one of mine, the avatar on the left is huge, cut off. Is it a problem on my end?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Boots,

Have you set yout time zone correctly? Under <UserCP>, slect <Edit Options> and scroll down to Date and Time. Here you select your time zone and whether you want Daylight Savings Time of not.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #56

Texas Boomers Club
Tim,

I resized your avatar.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote