Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 01:16 AM   #1

Smelling gasoline fumes

Hi all, brand new to the site/forum, and although I have owned my RV a few years now, I don't really know much about them. I own a 2000 Georgie Boy Encounter. I don't know the exact length it is, or what class it would be considered or anything like that.

So I was wondering if someone would tell me what forums would be best to post in when I need to ask questions about it or have problems with it and such.

I have a rather urgent problem right now I need help with, and I don't know what forum(s) would be best to post in about it, but I need to get it taken care of right away. I am smelling gasoline fumes, so something is wrong with the gas tank or fuel system somewhere.

I bought the unit a few years ago, to travel, being disabled. But illness kept it parked instead of enjoying it, it did not get driven or even started for a number of years, I had to move into it for financial reasons, and now I am sure the gas is probably too old/bad to use to start and drive the unit to just drive it out of there and take the tank down. My brothers have a lot of automotive knowledge and can probably help me with any suggested repairs.

But I need to know the best forum to post to about this problem and how to handle it -- how to get the gas out of the tank, and drop the tank and then replace it, probably won't be able to replace the tank for a while, until finances allow. I would greatly appreciate any help on where to post -- both in general about my unit, and for this specific fuel tank issue. Thank you for any assistance anyone can provide
SteveH007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 02:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH007 View Post
Hi all, brand new to the site/forum, and although I have owned my RV a few years now, I don't really know much about them. I own a 2000 Georgie Boy Encounter. I don't know the exact length it is, or what class it would be considered or anything like that.

So I was wondering if someone would tell me what forums would be best to post in when I need to ask questions about it or have problems with it and such.

I have a rather urgent problem right now I need help with, and I don't know what forum(s) would be best to post in about it, but I need to get it taken care of right away. I am smelling gasoline fumes, so something is wrong with the gas tank or fuel system somewhere.

I bought the unit a few years ago, to travel, being disabled. But illness kept it parked instead of enjoying it, it did not get driven or even started for a number of years, I had to move into it for financial reasons, and now I am sure the gas is probably too old/bad to use to start and drive the unit to just drive it out of there and take the tank down. My brothers have a lot of automotive knowledge and can probably help me with any suggested repairs.

But I need to know the best forum to post to about this problem and how to handle it -- how to get the gas out of the tank, and drop the tank and then replace it, probably won't be able to replace the tank for a while, until finances allow. I would greatly appreciate any help on where to post -- both in general about my unit, and for this specific fuel tank issue. Thank you for any assistance anyone can provide
I doubt the gas is bad. but it most like just needs new fuel to be added. just add some fresh fuel to it and run it. If it is a ford chassis they are notorious about the fuel pumps going bad when sitting for a long time. MIL's went bado even when she started it once per month. need to check the fuel pressure at the engine.
Old 05-10-2021, 03:03 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Welcome. Here’s a link to a thread that will help you navigate the forum that you should have received in your welcome email.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...ics-49134.html

We have a chassis Forum located on the main page. Here’s a link.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f15/

Select the one that represents yours and post your questions about it there.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 04:10 AM   #4

Steve,
It will be difficult for us to try and help you solve a problem with some type and model of Motor Home. You need to get us some info so that we have a place to start. It sounds like this unit has had no maint for several years. Maybe have your brothers look it over and determine the particulars. Could be as simple as a leaking fuel line.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
I doubt the gas is bad. but it most like just needs new fuel to be added. just add some fresh fuel to it and run it. If it is a ford chassis they are notorious about the fuel pumps going bad when sitting for a long time. MIL's went bado even when she started it once per month. need to check the fuel pressure at the engine.
Hi lonfu, thanks for replying to my message. The gas is like over 5 or 6 years old (probably closer to 7 or 8, maybe more), you really think if I added fresh gas it would run, not create a problem with gas that old still being in there? How would I check the fuel pressure at the engine? (My brothers know a bit more about automotive than I, but they are not full mechanics like from an auto tech trade school or anything). I believe it is a Ford chassis, the steering wheel says John Deere. I contacted the manufacturer handling things about the unit, and they directed me to call a local Ford dealership about the parts I was needing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Steve,
It will be difficult for us to try and help you solve a problem with some type and model of Motor Home. You need to get us some info so that we have a place to start. It sounds like this unit has had no maint for several years. Maybe have your brothers look it over and determine the particulars. Could be as simple as a leaking fuel line.
Hi Roy, thanks for the reply. I believe it is on a Ford Chassis, I believe I saw that in the old paperwork. And when I contacted the manufacturer now handling Georgie Boy matters, they referred me to a local Ford dealership in this area, and when I called the parts or service department they knew about the unit and said they could get the parts. It has had a new engine put in in the past, and possibly transmission, would have to look at the papers. I can do that and give anyone those types of particulars if they just tell me what they need.

As far as starting and running it, I would have to get new batteries -- and if I remember correctly we were starting to have some kind of electrical problem so getting it started could be kinda iffy. And I would assume I would need to get it started in order to check fuel pressure at the engine, or to see if the fuel pump is bad, or probably to track down where the leak is where I am smelling fumes coming from -- kind of close quarters in there, and hard to get a look up on top of the fuel tank to look around up there for things.

That was why one of my brothers was thinking just drain the old fuel, and take the tank off for now, so that we are not living on top of a fuel tank giving off fumes, until we can get a new tank. But we are having a hard time figuring out how to drain the tank, and if there is as much fuel in there as I think I remember putting in (half a tank I believe, but my memory is pretty bad about that kind of stuff from so long ago), that is a lot of gas to drain through a fuel hose to the fuel pump -- which has been the only way one brother and I have been able to find to drain the tank.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the replies so far. If anyone needs specs looked up or something looked at or for, let me know in a post and we will try to do it. I hope you folks can help me work out the best fix for this problem, and I will be hoping for more replies. Thanks for your time and assistance
Old 05-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #6

OK, I have some additional information, and some corrections. The unit is a 1990 Georgie Boy Encounter, Georgie Boy was taken over by Coachman before they stopped making them. It is Model 3490. It is on an Oshkosh Chassis. The gentleman I talked to at Coachman did not have a lot of information about that year other than to say Oshkosh was putting Ford 460 engines in those Chassis units at that time.

My brother crawled under and said that it looks like the fuel filter has corroded or the fuel line has rotted, or both, and that is where the gas is seeping out at and the smell of fumes are coming from he believes.

The gentleman at Coachman said that the idea about adding some fresh gas and "startin' 'er up" and running the gas out was probably not a good idea on gas that is 5 or 8 years old or whatever, will make a mess of everything. So, looks like it needs to be drained, then the tank dropped.

He said he would disconnect the filler tube hose at the fuel tank, siphon out the fuel, and then drop the tank and either clean or replace it.

Sound like the way to go? Anyone have any tips on possible better ways to drain the tank? Anyone have suggestions or tips or a procedure my brothers and I can follow to drop that tank out after we get it drained? I hope the additional information helps. I appreciate any help anyone can give me on this project, or should I call it mess? Thanks
Old 05-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #7

Steve,
This RV is 31 years old. Before you get too deep into repairs ( both parts and labor ) you need to really do an in depth inspection of the whole thing. Tires ( age out at less than 10 years ) Fuel lines and hoses, Brake system, are there any roof leaks ? It needs batteries. All belts and hoses need replacement. oil and filter, major tune up, trans service. If this has been sitting for 8-9 years it may not be worth fixing. Did I mention roof leaks ? Especially true if you will be paying a tech to do the work.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #8

Sounds like you might have tracked down the source. But I’d do a serious look at the entire fuel system, tank , metal and rubber fuel lines, fuel pump and carb.

5 yr old gas? Siphon the tank and put in fresh gas after you address the entire fuel system
Old 05-10-2021, 05:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Steve,
This RV is 31 years old. Before you get too deep into repairs ( both parts and labor ) you need to really do an in depth inspection of the whole thing. Tires ( age out at less than 10 years ) Fuel lines and hoses, Brake system, are there any roof leaks ? It needs batteries. All belts and hoses need replacement. oil and filter, major tune up, trans service. If this has been sitting for 8-9 years it may not be worth fixing. Did I mention roof leaks ? Especially true if you will be paying a tech to do the work.
Thanks Roy-c, you are right, I had already decided that it is past the point of fixing it back up. It has a couple of the problems you mentioned I know for sure, such as a couple of roof leaks I know of for sure, the fuel filter needing replaced and that hose rotted out, batteries, and most probably when I got to checking it out I would find more things wrong with it. So I am just going to get this problem with the tank fixed, so that I can stay in it until the housing solution I am currently working on (hopefully ) gets worked out -- and I can find a newer replacement RV as well in case I can ever get my health back to a point where I can actually do some traveling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrktfsh View Post
Sounds like you might have tracked down the source. But I’d do a serious look at the entire fuel system, tank , metal and rubber fuel lines, fuel pump and carb.

5 yr old gas? Siphon the tank and put in fresh gas after you address the entire fuel system
Thanks Wrktfsh, that is what we are going to do. As far as replacing other things in the fuel system, probably going to do the minimum -- as I said above, I am scrapping/selling-for-parts. The suggestion by the Coachman rep I talked to seems like it will work out fairly easily -- taking the filler tube hose off at the tank and siphoning out from there. Then replacing the rotted fuel line which is seeping the gas, don't really think I will have to change the fuel filter since I am probably going to scrap this motorhome or sell it as a fixer-upper or for parts to someone.

Which brings me to the next question. My oldest brother said after it is siphoned out, can put about 5 gallons or so of water in the tank as a measure to avoid danger of fumes/fire. I was going to take the tank down and drag it out, the local salvage yard owner said he can take it if it is empty.

Would those of you experienced with this kind of thing, like my brother is, agree that this would be a good solution and just leave it up? He said the water would eventually rust out the tank when I asked him about that, but if it is going to be scrapped/sold-for-parts anyway, then that wouldn't really matter he said.

So, put water in the tank to take care of the fire/fumes hazard and leave it up, or go ahead and try to take it off the unit and get it out from under there and take it to the salvage yard? What would you folks recommend? Is there another liquid that could be put in there that would take care of the fire/fumes hazard but would not rust the tank out or not rust it out as quickly as water?

Thanks very much for your replies, and everyone's assistance, it is much appreciated
Old 05-10-2021, 10:08 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
If it has roof leaks, get those fixed right away to mitigate the damage. Even if you do nothing else.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
If it has roof leaks, get those fixed right away to mitigate the damage. Even if you do nothing else.
Thanks Harry, sounds like a plan, just need to track them down. I have heard roof leaks can be somewhat of a problem to track down to an exact location, for novices like myself.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:21 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
had a few boats and moho's in my time. seen some of them with 10 year old fuel fire right up but I've had to burn off the old stuff that will create smoke. the ethanol has ruined your fuel line, not uncommon in older fuel systems that are not designed to handle it. 460's have a carb, most likely the fuel in the carb has already turned inside the carb so I'd add a new carb to your repair list of hoses, filter, fuel pump and batt. If you are looking to travel in this coach, I'd dump it and buy something else. Sounds like a weekly repair thing to me....

Tags
motor, motorhome, problem