Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #1

Non-Specific Subject Lines. A Rant

I have to rant. Why do some people insist on using subject lines that don't tell us anything about of what the post is about.

A couple of recent examples:

"Advice Please" OK, this person needs advice, but advice about what? Why should I have to open the post and read it, only to find out that I know nothing useful about the subject, and have no advice to give.

"Is It True?" I doesn't give a clue about what "It" is. Only after opening the post did I discover that I have no idea as to whether or not "It" is true.

If those subject lines had been left blank, they would have been more useful. At least, I wouldn't have wasted the time to open and read them.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 07:26 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Hard to disagree with you , so I won't. It's up to you whether you want to open these or not. It's the OP's loss if they didn't get you to open and respond with some assistance. Hopefully those members that need a reminder about this will see this.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #3

I have to agree! Subject lines should give a clue to what the thread is about.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

Totally agree.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #5

How about the OP who posts a problem, receives multiple solutions, and yet never returns to the thread.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
I have to rant. Why do some people insist on using subject lines that don't tell us anything about of what the post is about.

A couple of recent examples:

"Advice Please" OK, this person needs advice, but advice about what? Why should I have to open the post and read it, only to find out that I know nothing useful about the subject, and have no advice to give.

"Is It True?" I doesn't give a clue about what "It" is. Only after opening the post did I discover that I have no idea as to whether or not "It" is true.

If those subject lines had been left blank, they would have been more useful. At least, I wouldn't have wasted the time to open and read them.

Joel
There now. Feel better?
I do agree with you.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Post/thread titles containing at least something specific about what you're needing help with is best. Then our members know you want assistance & you'll get answers (good or bad) much faster. However, it's up to the OP to decide what to put in a title.

If our staff happens to notice a post/thread title is vague, we often edit it to provide more info. A lot of what we do is remove user names from, clarify, correct typos, add prefixes & spell out abbreviations in titles. This especially helps search engines direct people here who are randomly Google-ing/searching the internet for help with an RV issue. But we don't/can't read every post/thread here so, unfortunately, a lot of them can fall through the cracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
How about the OP who posts a problem, receives multiple solutions, and yet never returns to the thread.
This has been posted about many times. While it would be courteous for the OP to return to their help me thread(s) & post if the suggestions helped or not; again, it's up to the OP to decide if that's necessary to them. Some may use the Thanks button & only respond to the member of a particularly helpful post. That's perfectly acceptable & much appreciated.

Hopefully this thread will serve to educate current & new members on some nuances that will help everyone.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #8
IC2

The first, little info on the subject line will seldom get more then a passing thought and a "Nope, there are too many others that interest me"

The second is a big gripe here as well as other forums. I had occasion here to post something a while back. A member asked about something specific that required a partial disassembly of an item and maybe 20 minutes of my time. Not a big deal as far as time and effort. I don't need the thanks button clicked - just an acknowledgement that the person at least cared enough that I got him the info. Yes, that person has since posted on other threads.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #9

I don't click them, or ALL CAPS either.
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Let us know how that turns out...
tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #11

Quote:

Joel
You don't give you age, so I'm guessing you a young person. There are many reasons some good some not so good.

Some ... to get your attention to look at the post

Some ... just don't know better (not smart)

Here is the thing ... this is the internet, it isn't going to change and you are not going to change it. It changes you. You have to learn to live with it.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
You don't give you age, so I'm guessing you a young person. There are many reasons some good some not so good.

Some ... to get your attention to look at the post

Some ... just don't know better (not smart)

Here is the thing ... this is the internet, it isn't going to change and you are not going to change it. It changes you. You have to learn to live with it.
Wrong guess. I'm 75.

I know I can' make major changes, but together, Perhaps, if we educated just a few, that will be a small improvement.

there are a few RV related subjects where I have a great deal of expertise. There are a lot more subjects where I know just slightly more than nothing. When a question arises where I do know something, I try to be helpful.

However, I have only so much time available. When I open and read a dozen posts, only to discover that they all deal with subjects about which I am ignorant, then somebody else will do without the help that i didn't have the time to offer. on a subject where i know a great deal.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #13

On the plus side I can hover the cursor over the title and the OP's opening post will appear so I can quickly read it and decide to click on it or not. I wish all forums allowed that. Saves a lot of time when browsing the titles.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Wrong guess. I'm 75.

I know I can' make major changes, but together, Perhaps, if we educated just a few, that will be a small improvement.

there are a few RV related subjects where I have a great deal of expertise. There are a lot more subjects where I know just slightly more than nothing. When a question arises where I do know something, I try to be helpful.

However, I have only so much time available. When I open and read a dozen posts, only to discover that they all deal with subjects about which I am ignorant, then somebody else will do without the help that i didn't have the time to offer. on a subject where i know a great deal.

Joel
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote