Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #29
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With your permission I will turn it off for you.

Edit;

Done.

I’ve been told this helps now we shall see.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't be a supporter unless you have PayPal.

I had a big problem with PayPal years ago so I don't have an account with them anymore.

This was discussed a year or two ago and it doesn't look like it will change.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:51 AM   #31

Advertising will always pay more than paid subscriptions will. The folks hosting this board do so for profit. The more members, more advertising revenue. Paid subscription do not really mean much for revenue factors.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I simply block host files. The banner ads at the sides of pages are still there which I like because I occasionally use those products but the other ads and pop-ups just don't happen. Google how to block host files for your OS. Mine is Windows 10 and it works fantastic. Free too.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post

I had a big problem with PayPal years ago so I don't have an account with them anymore.

This is erroneous but has been discussed many time over the years I have been involved with iRV2.

Being a payer to a PayPal transaction does not require setting-up a PayPal account.
However the payer must have an open and active credit card.

The ownership here uses PayPal to avoid running a retailer account for credit card charges to accomplish these rather small transactions (another method of keeping down costs).

Supporting membership is not mandatory. But for the small price, there are many perks like discussed here and on the sign-up page:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/irv2-...rs-113379.html

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
With your permission I will turn it off for you.

Edit;

Done.

I’ve been told this helps now we shall see.
Honest to goodness, I'm not a big complainer. The ads at top and to the right of pages have never bothered me any. As someone else mentioned, there are times when they are of interest to me and I click them to see what they have to say. I see those are gone now and that is fine but the ones that my complaints are about are still popping up in the middle of the topic and thread post lists.

John, the service here is great and I certainly appreciate you looking into my small complaint. In the grand scheme of things, it's certainly not a deal breaker at all. Still, it'd be nice if the partner ads got moved from the middle of the topic and post lists.

Again, Thank You for looking into this!
Old 10-06-2019, 12:42 PM   #35
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As with any new operations schemes maybe it will work itself out over time.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #36
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Advertising will always pay more than paid subscriptions will. The folks hosting this board do so for profit. The more members, more advertising revenue. Paid subscription do not really mean much for revenue factors.
Actually this is not the case (for us at least). The primary issue facing free ad supported business models is the fact that browsers and operating systems are integrating ad blockers. That undermines being able to provide services for free but we keep evolving and trying. It would be much better if we could just switch to paid memberships but the vast majority of our contributors would not pay and we would see a decline in our participation.

Quote:

You can still pay with only a credit card, never logging into PayPal. PayPal is still the credit card processing company but you don't have to login or create an account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
As with any new operations schemes maybe it will work itself out over time.
We are hoping to develop a system that will reward members for participating. For example, if you post a lot to the forums then you can get a free upgraded account and access to our other tools. It's not as easy as using post count alone because we don't want to reward fluff. So we are looking at some other metrics as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I use a laptop and ad blocker.. No ads here.
Yep, that's what everyone is doing and it's putting the hurt on ad supported businesses. Look for more aggressive ad placements and more content to get blocked off behind paywalls because of ad blockers.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:52 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
And now there is a full width footer ad in the web site? What is going on IRV2? Are you desperate??? Make this one go away too for paid supporters or I'm out!

AdBlock google chrome browser extension now installed thanks to IRV2's work.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
And now there is a full width footer ad in the web site? What is going on IRV2? Are you desperate??? Make this one go away too for paid supporters or I'm out!

AdBlock google chrome browser extension now installed thanks to IRV2's work.
thanks Neal
scooter 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #39

Lightbulb

I can live with ads (duh, I have to ). But the blinking, scrolling, flashing drives me to distraction - please make it stop.

I've blocked the right column in 'Options' (?), the problem is that I lose the 'recent posts' window which helps me branch into threads I'd never otherwise look at. So now I open a word doc (or any other window and stretch it across the right column so I can quickly access that info by clicking on IRV2 which brings it back on top).

I'd really like to see a 'Like" button added to the software. I belong to several other sites with this feature and use it to - 1. Evaluate others' postings. 2. Evaluate my own postings Yes, it can be cliquey but it's very helpful anyway. And it's much faster than IRV2's 'Thanks' button which requires a comment of some sort. And a 'Thanks' reply isn't visible to other members as is a 'Like' which becomes a public 'reward' for a contribution. A 'Like' button would also help IRV2 evaluate members' postings for - "We are hoping to develop a system that will reward members for participating."
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
I can live with ads (duh, I have to ). But the blinking, scrolling, flashing drives me to distraction - please make it stop.

I've blocked the right column in 'Options' (?), the problem is that I lose the 'recent posts' window which helps me branch into threads I'd never otherwise look at. So now I open a word doc (or any other window and stretch it across the right column so I can quickly access that info by clicking on IRV2 which brings it back on top).

I'd really like to see a 'Like" button added to the software. I belong to several other sites with this feature and use it to - 1. Evaluate others' postings. 2. Evaluate my own postings Yes, it can be cliquey but it's very helpful anyway. And it's much faster than IRV2's 'Thanks' button which requires a comment of some sort. And a 'Thanks' reply isn't visible to other members as is a 'Like' which becomes a public 'reward' for a contribution. A 'Like' button would also help IRV2 evaluate members' postings for - "We are hoping to develop a system that will reward members for participating."
Had to laugh when you complained about the flashy blinking stuff then you put a flashy blingy icon in your reply...too funny.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #41

Cool

Quote:
Had to laugh when you complained about the flashy blinking stuff then you put a flashy blingy icon in your reply...too funny.
I thought about using all of them but then repented.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #42

Well, I know this is an oddball thing to ask but, can I get the right hand ads back? Unfortunately when they went away, so did the "recent posts" window. I miss it!

I may be overlooking it but I haven't been able to find in my CP, a place to change it myself. Thanks, and I'll try to keep quiet now.

Tags
fan