Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Member Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:13 AM   #1

Option to edit an older post disappears after ??? seconds/minutes/days. Why?

It would be nice to be able to go back to one of your old posts, and edit it to fill in updated stats or results of some sort of test or experiment or other info, rather than having to quote the old post and add updates. Can this be changed so that users can edit their own posts long after the original posting time/date?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can always post an update quoting your original post. If members were permitted to edit posts after the 60 minute limit it wouldn’t be fair / right to those who responded to the original and most likely not make any sense to the edited version

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #3

I'm not sure I understand the "wouldn't be fair/right" part, it just seems like a waste of bandwidth and server space to have to "quote", aka copy/paste all or a portion of a prior post in it's entirety to edit/update it, rather than mark the edit with an "EDIT: text text text " marker embedded in the original. Do you get a lot of complaints from "respondents" about posts being edited after they've replied to the original version? That also seems unlikely to me, but hey, it's your forum.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

I,too, think 1 hour is too little time. Sometimes I missed a comma or realize that I left out an important word whose absence changes my intent, and it's 2 hours later.

If it's a big deal I know we can contact a moderator and ask for them to change/fix the post but that seems like asking more and more of the mods who already have lots to do.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The members posts that responded to your original post would look strange as they wouldn’t be relevant anymore. Therefore you’re editing the original intent of your post wouldn’t be right or fair to those who took the time to respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
I'm not sure I understand the "wouldn't be fair/right" part, it just seems like a waste of bandwidth and server space to have to "quote", aka copy/paste all or a portion of a prior post in it's entirety to edit/update it, rather than mark the edit with an "EDIT: text text text " marker embedded in the original. Do you get a lot of complaints from "respondents" about posts being edited after they've replied to the original version? That also seems unlikely to me, but hey, it's your forum.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #6

Again, I don't see the "fairness" issue, posting a reply to a stated issue or problem isn't a contest, that I'm aware, but that's my opinion, and it's your forum.
Good to see I'm not (completely) alone in my desire for greater flexibility to edit/update a prior post. Grammar, punctuation, spelling are all things that we sometimes fail to vet in our original posts, and that might affect the tone, interpretation, context, or intent, and we would simply like to be able to make corrections. I've noted typos in my old posts days after the initial post. I'd also like to be able to update a prior post with addditional details without copying the whole thing to a new post, but then, I'm not paying for the bandwidth or server space.
As I said, it's your forum.
Thank you for responding.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Grammatical errors can be edited by the site staff if you report it to us. Your choice as we don’t edit them without your report. We do edit thread titles ( if we see them ) for the sake of our search function .

Old 12-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As a former Administrator, I can tell you the discussion of allowing editing was taken seriously. It all came back to people editing a post to the point that future comments made title sense unless you had seen the unedited post and remembered it.

So, in order to maintain a thread that made sense, it was decided to allow the post to be edited by the poster for a given time to correct mistakes, but not to change the meaning or intent of a topic.

As Cliff suggested, you can always send a message to a Moderator or an Administrator and have the errors corrected as long as it does not change the subject of the post.

Ken
Old 12-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We have an hour edit window. For the vast majority of members, that's plenty of time.

Here's an example of why we don't allow edits after 1 hour:

A member makes a post listing issues they have with their RV. Multiple times taking it back to the factory for fixes that are never fully fixed. Problems pop up later & they post about those.

Fast forward 6 months, a year or even years later, now they want to sell that RV but savvy buyers do Google searches on that year/make/model RV to find if there are issues with an RV they are wanting to buy private party. Google directs them here & the buyer realizes the RV they were interested is problematic. Problematic=no sale.

If the original poster has unlimited edit rights, they could go back & edit their posts & make their RV look good & dupe a buyer.

Now, granted, that's a worse case scenario, but one that has happened. Others, of lesser severity, have happened as well, making reply posts seem disjointed & skewing information. Most members are honest & would not go to such lengths, but for those that have, we have an edit window. Chalk it up to the few ruining it for the many.

I always preview a post before submitting. By doing that, I catch grammar & typos....most times. If one or more slips by, oh well. Nobody's perfect.

As Ken stated, if it's small errors that don't change a post's meaning, use the Contact Us link & ask a site Admin to make the changes. If it's complete rewrite/wrong info offered/photo editing or changes would distort the original meaning, just make a reply post with updated info.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #10

What Lori said...I most always "go advanced" so I can preview it before posting. Besides...my speling ain't so god.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We have an hour edit window. For the vast majority of members, that's plenty of time.

Here's an example of why we don't allow edits after 1 hour:

A member makes a post listing issues they have with their RV. Multiple times taking it back to the factory for fixes that are never fully fixed. Problems pop up later & they post about those.

Fast forward 6 months, a year or even years later, now they want to sell that RV but savvy buyers do Google searches on that year/make/model RV to find if there are issues with an RV they are wanting to buy private party. Google directs them here & the buyer realizes the RV they were interested is problematic. Problematic=no sale.

If the original poster has unlimited edit rights, they could go back & edit their posts & make their RV look good & dupe a buyer.

Now, granted, that's a worse case scenario, but one that has happened. Others, of lesser severity, have happened as well, making reply posts seem disjointed & skewing information. Most members are honest & would not go to such lengths, but for those that have, we have an edit window. Chalk it up to the few ruining it for the many.

I always preview a post before submitting. By doing that, I catch grammar & typos....most times. If one or more slips by, oh well. Nobody's perfect.

As Ken stated, if it's small errors that don't change a post's meaning, use the Contact Us link & ask a site Admin to make the changes. If it's complete rewrite/wrong info offered/photo editing or changes would distort the original meaning, just make a reply post with updated info.

Lori-
Pretty lame reasoning. Got a link to your example?
So, now you're telling me you're the "honesty in RV sales police", and that's why you don't allow editing of your own posts down stream?
If an OP posts up all kinds of bad stuff about their RV, then wants to sell it, and realizes they've bad mouthed themselves on this or other forums, then they're the ones that should contact you, and ask for their original posts to be deleted.
Not us, that would find the capability useful in a positive way. Yes, you're punishing the majority on a pretty hard to believe piece of "this is why we do it this way" evidence.
I was satisfied (somewhat) with the prior responses from CLIFFTALL. This one is nonsense.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
As a former Administrator, I can tell you the discussion of allowing editing was taken seriously. It all came back to people editing a post to the point that future comments made title sense unless you had seen the unedited post and remembered it.

So, in order to maintain a thread that made sense, it was decided to allow the post to be edited by the poster for a given time to correct mistakes, but not to change the meaning or intent of a topic.

As Cliff suggested, you can always send a message to a Moderator or an Administrator and have the errors corrected as long as it does not change the subject of the post.

Ken

See, if this was my post I'd have to waste your time and mine editing the spelling error in it.

Every other forum I'm on allows a poster edit his/her own post weeks later. Some forever.

1 hour makes no sense to me.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:46 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen many times on other forums where someone posts something and says one thing several people respond then the op edits his original post and nothing afterwards applies anymore. It happens a lot and I appreciate the limiting factor on edits here and the way it keeps the entire thread relevant.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:33 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I think 1 hour is more than adequate. before I post something I usually spell check and reread it several times.

Having said that I have gone back many times and edited a post, but usually within a few minutes.

You guys have been doing this many years and it sounds like you've been ironing out the kinks for years.

I THINK IT'S A SPECTACULAR JOB, THANKS AGAIN!!

This is an edit.
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote