Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #43

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm using DSL (at home) and it takes me 5-6 seconds to go from the IRV2 home page to the Forum home page. Now it took me 3-4 seconds to go from page 2 to page 3 of this thread. I'm using a new computer (Vista ,Dell Quadcore with a 6Gig Tri Channel RAM). Now my old 7 year old puter would have taken ages to load up. I was running very short on my RAM. I got 7 good years out of it. When buying a puter, buy as much RAM as you can afford. RAM is where its at if your going to be surfing the net.

My old puter was only 256 RAM which is main reason I hit a brick wall as far as surfing the net earlier this year. It was really bogging down the last 6-9 months. It was not worth putting $$ into more RAM because it was RIMM RAM which is hard to get. Buy RAM RAM RAM........And when you think you have enough Buy more....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I checked my connection speeds (thanks for the link) and download was 2573 and upload was 399 so that looks pretty good to me. The only problem I have is when I go to a page I have to stop and wait for it to download. Mine takes about 3 seconds. I guess that's not bad, but it is a pain to have to wait. Overall, I think I like the new site.

What happened to the little box that showed everyone who was online? Mine is no longer there.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #45
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post

What happened to the little box that showed everyone who was online? Mine is no longer there.
It's at the bottom of the main forum page.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
LT46, that is the info we need so that the Techies can see what the problem is/is caused by or what ever.

Thanks, Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Admin View Post
Just looking at your stats on your system. 224MB of RAM.. Are you sure about that? First, usually ram amounts follow the multiples of 8 rule:

8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, etc..

If that is correct though, then you have VERY little ram. It will be like a brand new computer if you can bump that up to 1gb.
TechAdmin,
Knowing very little about what makes this computer work, I found this info by going to CP>System and there it was, 1.79 GHz (also listed as 1975 MHz ??) with 224 MB of RAM.

How does one boost that number? Thanks.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
LT46, you will need to buy more memory. But you need to know what kind of memory is in your computer and how many slots it has for memory. This will most likley require opening the computer up and looking at the board or hopefully you have a manual on the 'puter that should list the type memory used and how much memory the computer can have added.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:03 AM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Admin View Post
Just looking at your stats on your system. 224MB of RAM.. Are you sure about that? First, usually ram amounts follow the multiples of 8 rule:

8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, etc..

If that is correct though, then you have VERY little ram. It will be like a brand new computer if you can bump that up to 1gb.
Many systems show memory less that used for display. It is likely 256MB + 32M for video.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfl69 View Post
I am using a (T1 connections) from work and my WIFI at home is even slower. What I said is that I go to a lot of sites each day (using the (T1 connections) ) and the same computer and this is the slowest. For the fastest of the forum sites go to http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm if what to see a fast sight.
I live waaaayout in the boonies and have dial up. This site seems to me to be no slower than any other sites I go to.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks TX, I'll look into it.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #52
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
lt46,

Be careful with upgrades these days. Computer prices have fallen so much that sometimes RAM upgrades for an older computer can cost nearly as much as a more modern replacement.

To the others, I am still looking for a way to make the pages load faster. I will post more soon.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I have to agree with Andy. We looked at upgrading our existing system (hard drive, ramm and printer) and determined it required less than two hundred additional dollars to purchase a new Dell system that included a Canon MX850 all-in-one printer and 22" flat screen monitor. All was less than $900.00.
tmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
The "slow" issue for me revolves around page to page changes. With each page change, headers and sidebars load immediately, forum content is slow to appear. As I said previously, 10-15 seconds for forum content to show-up. I'm no techie and do not know if this is considered slow or not, but in comparison to the previous system, it is to me.
That is it that is what is happening, that is what I mean by slow also. Lt46 hit the nail on the head.
jaxfl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
I too have noticed a definite slow down on page loading. I'm using Verizon's broadband and having no trouble with other web sites.

The old system worked very well, in my case with the very same laptop, and now without any changes on my part the new system is much slower. This definitely indicates it's the new system. You may be right, that it could be something to do with our Virus software or whatever, but it didn't act this way before. Also there are definitely more graphics, ad's etc. As I'm typing this message some of the ad's are updating realtime. This to me says it's going to take longer to load.
This quote pretty well sums up my experience also.
When I change pages the second bar from the bottom of the screen says:
Waiting for http//.....
Downloading picture....
Waiting for about:blank
Downloading picture....
Waiting for about:blank
etc., etc., etc.

Every page is about 8 to 10 seconds before the whole body of the page loads.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
Windows XP Ram Requirements for Smooth Operation:
Minimum 1gb

Windows Vista Ram Requirements for Smooth Operation:
Minimum 3gb

This site uses a tremendous amount of Javascript to load a number of its components. Java anything takes up more system resources than loading a page without because of the computation being executed at the end-user's system.

If the system is listing 224mb of ram, you actually have 256, but a portion of it is being shared with your internal video card and has been subsequently partitioned off by the BIOS for exclusive use by the video card.

One final Note, Google Ads will slow down any fast site as the browser will hang on the loading of the google-ads web service if its not immeadiately available.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote