Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #113

Andy I was wrong

I am sorry I was wrong about the speed. I had to go do some stuff and when I tried to get back in it took 2 minutes to bring up the site and then when I clicked on last page it took 3 minutes to get me here. Go ahead and mess with it.... it is not fixed. I guess I was just luck the last time.
jaxfl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #114

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too feel this site could be faster.. BUT I would like to praise one innovation here

When I enter a URL, I often do it by hand, typing somethign like this (but with square brackets) {url}the actual url.com[/url] Well, here is one URL you should all bookmark and that is exactly how I will do it, the url starts of course with http a colon and //, then www dot rvsafety dot org

RV Safety, Merritt Island, Florida

As you can see the forum software went, looked it up and named the link with the proper name of the orgination that owns the site.. Kind of neat. in fact, FANTASTIC
Old 05-08-2009, 05:45 AM   #115

Hope you get this site corrected before you lose more folks.My friends have not been on in weeks.I might check in 2 times a week from my 2-3 times a day.The slowness is more than dissapointing.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We need the folks that are having trouble to contact the help desk with some information on their set up:

Type computer,
Computer memory and processor (look in the control panel under SYSTEM INFO)
Operating system and version (this can be found by clicking the help tab and then about)
Browser and version (this can be found by clicking the help tab and then about)
Internet Provider
Method of connecting to the internet
Antivirus program and pop up vblockers

From the page at http://www.irv2/forums in the upper tool bar on the right side, select CONTACT US. The message will be seen quicker at that address.

I know that it is a bad problem if you are the one with the problem, but a relatively small number of users are having this kind of speed problem and it will help to sort out the type problem they are experiencing with more information than "the site is slow".

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #117

Folks it is not the site !!!!!

It is the krap you are using for software and the computers that run it.

This site works perfectly on a Mac loading pages in less than a second. I am running Mac OS X 10.5.6 with Safari.

It runs very fast on my iPhone either wireless or G3. So if it runs fast on an iPhone to maybe its what you folks are using as a computer and operating system.

Apple products work, kinda simple they just work.

Windows gets all balled up with spyware, memory issues and viruses which causes your computer to act like it does.

So quit complaining and get a Mac, no viruses and no spyware. When you are ready to update your old Mac to a new Mac give your old one to your kids and then when they buy their new macs they can give the old one to your grandkids.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #118

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
the new platform is more dynamic with its software features then the other, but runs slower on my HP compuer w/IE7,
how many different forums other then iRV2 are all sharing the same server(s)?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #119

Vintage RV Owners Club
Personally, I don't think its the site itself that's causing alot of people's bog downs. I do, however, believe that its the other remote contents that the site loads at the same time (Google Ads, DoubleClick.net Ads, etc) that are causing alot of the bog down. I've been on several different computers at different locations on different network connections and tried the site.

They all ran decently quick, however they all had the following consistent between them.

Min: 512mb of ram, 2.4ghz or greater CPU, 70gb or greater Hard drive, Cable Internet or Greater Internet speed

Didn't matter if I used I.E 6, I.E 7, or Firefox. Firefox loaded the text a tad bit faster, but only because it doesn't wait for the graphics and javascript ads to load first before displaying the page.

The big difference, at least from my perspective, is the network connection point and speed. IRV2 needs at least a high speed cable connection to be viewed quickly.

Here's a fix you can try to see if your browsing experience speeds up.

Open "My Computer", then open your main hard drive (the one containing windows).

Right click on your Windows directory (Something like "Windows" or "WINNT"). And do a search for a file called "HOSTS"

Open that text file (It will likely ask you what program to open it with, select "NotePad") and append the following lines to the bottom of it:

127.0.0.2 ad.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.4 pubads.g.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.5 googleads.g.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.7 googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.6 pagead1.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.3 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.8 pagead3.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.9 partner.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.10 googleadservices.com

Save the file and close it.

Do this while your browser is not running.

Relaunch your browser. The banner ads should no longer be loading.

Note, if you're connecting to the net via a proxy of some kind, this may not work as the proxy may by pass your local DNS hosts record (The HOSTS file you edited).

If your browsing experience does not speed up, then the ads have effectively been ruled out of the problem.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #120

I'd have to say there is something abou this site that has changed. For me it also loads slowly, but my biggest complaint is that it scrolls really slowly and clumsy.

I say it is the site and not my computer since no other place on the web acts like this for me.

It is frustrating, and I can see how people who are guests or not long term users would go somewhere else and not come back.

I've just been hoping whatever the issue is, it isn't permanent.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #121

Since the adds have been mentioned a few times ..... I find it a little surprising that the adds seem to know where i am, a LOT of SanDiego adds proliferate when i am logged on. Surely everyone can't be getting sanDiego adds. ?

And when i am logged onto the 'gun' thread, i get at least 2 of the adds for 'personal armor' or other gun related armor.

It is an owner's choice to run his business as he chooses. But the biggest difference to me between this site now and a handful of months ago (before the ownership change) is the adds and how they seemingly target individual viewers and threads. ?.?
Has targeted adds effected page regen?
Old 05-08-2009, 06:05 PM   #122

Vintage RV Owners Club
Anything that is a framed sub-application running simultaneously as the main page will cause a slower delivery unless you are running fairly high ended systems with wide mouthed bandwith.

All the ads are javascript based, they analyze the page, then based on keywords they find, select what ads to show you.

However, alot of that computation happens on the user's end, vs the servers, causing a slow down of the browser.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #123

So if that is what is causing some people's experience to be slowed here (the searching adds) and it is the computational drag at the user's end not at the server ... then 'thats just the way it goes ???'

My browsing here isn't laboriously slow, unless I'm in an exuberant mood and feel like gabbing, so its not a killer,
but is there anyway to get those adds to stop searching and reacting at the user's end,
if indeed that is what is slowing down my RV gabbing experience ?
Old 05-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #124

Monaco Owners Club
Andy,
Back ot the 5th you did something that brought the site up to speed. Then on the 6th it's back to slow page changes. It takes three to five seconds for the page to change. Once it changes (it loads the whole page,) it take another three to five seconds for the scroll bar to show up.
I am using a HP laptop, Vista 64, 4 gig ram, Intel core 2 duo, T555 @ 1.83GHz on Cox Cummunication braodband, using either MSN or IE7.
What would you recommend that I use to view your site.
It used to "our" site and very enjoyable. Do you feel with the increased advertising content (ie: revenue) that it makes economic sense for you if you have to sacrifice a few members?
Your site, not "ours," does not compare to your peers. This is not normal!

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:20 AM   #125
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
For reference, I just ran a test to load and login using IE7 vs, Fire fox on the same machine, the same DSL line.

It takes 2 to 3 times longer to load the pages on IE7. This is one of the reasons I refuse to use IE.

I am using Vista, on a duo-core 2mb ram HP Pavilion dv6000 lap top. One thing I have done is use configsys to do a selective start and turn of the huge number of od programs that all thing they need to lad at start up. Going to a selective stat sequence cleans up the trash at start up and leaves you more resources to do the things you want to do.

If you do not know how to do the selective start up, inlist the help of a computer savy techno-nerd.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #126
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you do not know how to do the selective start up, inlist the help of a computer savy techno-nerd.

Ken
Or any 15 year old.....

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote