Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 10:09 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Having been a former Moderator and Administrator here, I'll toss in my 2 cents worth. The site is already top heavy with many sub forums that tends to dilute the overall content of the site. There is always the search engine to source your needs, but it is not used often enough.

If there is ever a form for Thousand Trails, it should also include other camping programs as well, not just the one.
Passport America.
Harvest Hosts.
Good Sam.
Escapees.
Thousand Trails.

Ken
Good idea. Perhaps when working to add the new forum, some of the duds cans be eliminated. That could enrich the content mixture.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 12:00 PM   #16

I like the idea of adding a forum that is about campground memberships. I use a couple and I think the forum would be active. If some of the current forums and subs are cluttering up the site with inactivity, then how about moving them to a new forum that is specific for less active topics?
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Having been a former Moderator and Administrator here, I'll toss in my 2 cents worth. The site is already top heavy with many sub forums that tends to dilute the overall content of the site. There is always the search engine to source your needs, but it is not used often enough.

If there is ever a form for Thousand Trails, it should also include other camping programs as well, not just the one.
Passport America.
Harvest Hosts.
Good Sam.
Escapees.
Thousand Trails.

Ken
What is the issue with having too many forums. We all filter things the way we want don't we? I never look at forums that I have no interest in....

Your suggestion would not draw anyone to the site. It is basically no different that what is already there. There is a club section with posts about several of the clubs. I come here because there is a Newmar section, not because there is a desiel pusher sections with posts about Newmar in it.
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:49 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
I like the idea of adding a forum that is about campground memberships. I use a couple and I think the forum would be active. If some of the current forums and subs are cluttering up the site with inactivity, then how about moving them to a new forum that is specific for less active topics?
We have a forum current about memberships and it has some subforums for specific clubs. Link: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f248/

Click image for larger version

Name:	clubs.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	344706

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
What is the issue with having too many forums. We all filter things the way we want don't we? I never look at forums that I have no interest in....

Your suggestion would not draw anyone to the site. It is basically no different that what is already there. There is a club section with posts about several of the clubs. I come here because there is a Newmar section, not because there is a desiel pusher sections with posts about Newmar in it.
Figuring out how what will be a successful architectural scheme for the forum is part science, part art and a fair amount of trial and error.

Having under used forums actuals diminishes board traffic. Google recognizes spaces that aren't active and downrates them in searches so anyone looking for these topics may be shown other results instead.

Empty or unused forums increase clutter.

That said, There was no mention of Thousand Trials in the forum description above and so I've updated it. I see a number of TT topics in that section and if we find there are enough we'll add a subforum. Still mulling this over and watching to see how the latest changes impact use.

We periodically make small changes like this and generally let actual use patterns drive these decisions.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #19

So you are not against membership club forums, just Thousand Trails?
Old 09-30-2021, 04:35 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
So you are not against membership club forums, just Thousand Trails?
No - please read my earlier post. it clearly lays out the underlying issue - underused forums and board sprawl. There is a discussion space for all member ship clubs. we are keeping an eye on it and if there is an abundance of TT related threads we can set up a subforum.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Old 09-30-2021, 08:28 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Personally, since we already have a Clubs & Associations section, I'd have thought it'd have been more utilized by those in such organizations. As Janet posted, the site team does monitor the sections here & if we see there's a large number of posts on a specific group that warrants adding another subforum we'll consider it. Everybody want their own section & we just can't accommodate every request.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 04:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Personally, since we already have a Clubs & Associations section, I'd have thought it'd have been more utilized by those in such organizations.
As I said, if all you had was a diesel pusher section, I wouldn't come here. I come here for the Newmar section.

Having to weed through a bunch of unrelated threads doesn't help usage.

Why not change the name of the club sub that has not had a post since January?

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
Old 10-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Why not start posting TT threads in the Clubs & Associations section? If there's enough sustained activity to warrant a subforum we'll consider it. We won't create another subforum that will be as unutilized as the others already there.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:00 PM   #24

Wow … seemed like a innocent suggestion by someone trying to add to the forum … and just as an observer …. Felt like some harsh responses … geeez …
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
As I said, if all you had was a diesel pusher section, I wouldn't come here. I come here for the Newmar section.

Having to weed through a bunch of unrelated threads doesn't help usage.

Why not change the name of the club sub that has not had a post since January?

-B
I'm with you. The diversity of sections is what brought me here.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:23 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I'm with you. The diversity of sections is what brought me here.
We try to balance variety with need. It turns out that just because you build it doesn't mean people will use the section. Finding balance is tricky and we periodically make adjustments. Over the years we've added new sections and closed others (moving those topics to another section).

Keeping the board lively is a bit like tending a busy garden - seasonal adjustments are needed as well as some flexibility. You try one thing and see how it works out - if it doesn't, you learn and move on.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Old 10-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #27

I think adding the words Thousand Trails to the forum description is a massive improvement. THANKS!

-B
Old 10-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #28

I guess I see the moderators point on clutter. There are a number of sub forums that only have one thread with only a couple of posts for the entire calendar year.

Tags
forum