Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2023, 04:42 AM   #1

thread search and advanced search on IRV2.com not working properly

it appears Boolean characters and multi word search is turned on on the forums, can anyone confirm? the advanced search which is very important for a forum like this appears to be extremely lacking. i am finding it impossible to use multiple words to narrow down my searches here to find helpful topics.
treyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2023, 04:45 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tell us how you’re going about your searches. Here’s what I use and it works pretty good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0987.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	385040

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFTALL View Post
Tell us how you’re going about your searches. Here’s what I use and it works pretty good.

Attachment 385040
see attached, ill try the google bar next but usually the results from that are not as clean and easily viewed then the post view in vbulletin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	asdfdas.png
Views:	26
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	385042  
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2023, 04:58 AM   #4

ok ive confirmed the google search bar sucks lol. its search functions are limited compared to the vbulletin functions and it searches text strings anywhere within crawled pages unlike the vbulletin search function. see attached its literally searching user join dates, signatures, etc and returning useless posts and threads.

I believe the Site admin probably has advanced searching or boolean searching capability turned off on purpose?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sdafgdsfgsdgf.png
Views:	21
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	385043  
Old 01-26-2023, 05:00 AM   #5
Community Administrator

I put in 2009 American Eagle Headlights and got this.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2009...earch=irv2.com

Old 01-26-2023, 05:05 AM   #6

Quote:

yup same here. those results do not include all three words, and certainly not per post. its apparent the site software is extremely limited with its thread and post search capability. 100% of those returned results are bogus and not useful, none of them contain a single posting with "2009", "eagle", "headlights" in it. the google search bar is not capable of that kind of search.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:06 AM   #7

Quote:

are you capable of doing a search with all three words contained in it? ill show you a link of another vbulletin with proper search function working. for some reason this site might purposely have it turned off or not configured
Old 01-26-2023, 05:10 AM   #8

i know vbulletin is capable of it but down in the bottom it does show the latest site software is a beta version

https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=253432
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	asdfdas.png
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	385045  
Old 01-26-2023, 05:11 AM   #9
Community Administrator

That’s all it found. There may not have been more discussions here. Anyway it’s what we’re working with. It’s not great but most aren’t especially when members do not label their threads correctly. We retitle those we see to assist for future searches.

PS
We’re moving to another platform in the near future. Hopefully that will be better in a lot of respects.

Old 01-26-2023, 05:18 AM   #10

Quote:
That’s all it found. There may not have been more discussions here. Anyway it’s what we’re working with. It’s not great but most aren’t especially when members do not label their threads correctly. We retitle those we see to assist for future searches.

PS
We’re moving to another platform in the near future. Hopefully that will be better in a lot of respects.
its indexing and searching thread body text too not just titles. the vbulletin search built in the platform should be able to work just like this other vbulletin site see attached :-)

sorry i dont want to come off nagging. im genuinely wanting to help or at least help myself better search your forums for stuff pertinent to me lol.

this same search on IRV2 finds all threads with either "2009", "eagle", or "headlights" so in reality it finds thousands of posts and none of them actually pertinent to the search at hand.

I think this is literally just a search tool thats turned off in the backend admin panel of vbulletin. just curious if this is a known and purposeful limitation placed on the forum by administration? is this same limitation placed on paid contributors or is it turned off for contributing members? thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fdgsdfgdas.png
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	385046   Click image for larger version

Name:	sadfada.png
Views:	25
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	385047  

Old 01-26-2023, 05:30 AM   #11

https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...ps#post2367653

this describes how to turn on boolean search functions for user groups. it would appear this is probably set to off for user group im in (junior member), not sure if this gets set to "On" for paid members maybe?

but man the search on this board is really horrendous. one of the worst ive used on any forum and im on a bunch! lol
Old 01-26-2023, 05:37 AM   #12
Community Administrator

Our supporter memberships do not receive anything different. If we had it , everyone would be able to use it. It’s not what the supporter membership is about. I’ll leave it here as I’ve forwarded this to our techs.

Old 01-26-2023, 05:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Our supporter memberships do not receive anything different. If we had it , everyone would be able to use it. It’s not what the supporter membership is about. I’ll leave it here as I’ve forwarded this to our techs.
ok no worries and i appreciate you responding to me this morning! thanks!
Old 01-26-2023, 05:59 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by treyguy View Post
are you capable of doing a search with all three words contained in it? ill show you a link of another vbulletin with proper search function working. for some reason this site might purposely have it turned off or not configured
You can do an exact phrase search with all three words by enclosing all in quotes, ie "2009 American Eagle". Enclosing each individual word means it searches for all terms anywhere in the post, not the full phrase. Yes the Google search does look at both titles and body text since it's a limited feature and no way to specify title only. Using the Advanced Search feature that Cliff noted is more accurate and lets you specify title only. Sometimes putting too many words in the search limits the results too much.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Search1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	385048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Search2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	385049  

Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote