Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Forum 101 | Announcements | Forum Concerns
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #43
Community Administrator

The app is not up yet. It will be as soon as possible. I feel your pain as I use it extensively.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 03:47 PM   #44

It almost looks like the cure is worse than the disease. The delays started for me when they added the external link in front of their server. According to the information they display, I have a solid connection to them but they can't connect to the actual IRV2 server. Not an expert, but maybe the provider of the "safety" doesn't have such a robust product and is introducing their own delays?
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:51 PM   #45
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
The app is not up yet. It will be as soon as possible. I feel your pain as I use it extensively.
Yes, I realized after I posted about the iOS app, it appears irv2.com is under attack again. Lots of 522 errors even in the browser. :(
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #46

Another bad day for this forum. However RV.net pretty much bites today too.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
And I'm back to seeing this type of error:

Error 522 Ray ID: 267e6f197525217a • 2016-01-20 23:07:42 UTC
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Trouble accessing irv2!

So I thought the spam ddos issue was fixed when I stopped getting cavity searched when logging onto the forum. Apparently that was a mistaken assumption.

So with the cavity searches continuing I guess it's time to ask, is it no longer safe to log onto the forum? Can you not stop the attacks and therefore unable to stop any virus they may push onto us?
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #49

I'm with newmarpusher, worked for awhile and down tonight for iPhone and iPad.
Hope you guys get it figured out and more importantly, and if it is a 'disgruntled ' user, get the jerk using all legal means possible.
IRV2 is a great forum and will be joining as a supporter soon.
Tom
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #50

Maybe it's that guy who was saying he hated the RV life a week or so ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevandtomH View Post
I'm with newmarpusher, worked for awhile and down tonight for iPhone and iPad.
Hope you guys get it figured out and more importantly, and if it is a 'disgruntled ' user, get the jerk using all legal means possible.
IRV2 is a great forum and will be joining as a supporter soon.
Tom
Old 01-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #51

As I was sitting here tonight reading this post from day one to present, I remembered a few years back I was getting hacked into by someone online. I had Black Ice installed at that time, and was able to track it back to who ever it was doing it. Lo and behold, there was someone who had a Charter account. I let Charter know and they warned the individual that they were being looked at, and out of revenge, he came on again. I let it go that time again, but never had a problem after that. I just don't keep up anymore with IT stuff, and don't know if Black Ice is still available or not. In some cases, like this, it is worth it.
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #52
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It seems to me that the server software and the company is providing safety to the server. It is designed to block unauthorized access. I don't see where it is a problem waiting 5 seconds for a redirect to the forum. How many millions of IP addresses are there? Stop one and another can pop up and then it is up to the software to protect the server, but first the technicians have to find the server that is sending the DDoS attack.

It takes time to find the perpetrator and block "them", and then wait for another one to crop up. A DDoS is punishable in a court of law, but they have to be caught first.

No blame should be put on iRV2 or it's staff. They are all doing a good job keeping this forum going with as little down time as possible. Get over the addiction.

I can almost guarantee you that any virus protection you may have is not 100% safe. A heuristic anti virus protection program is better than one without it, but even then it is not 100% safe.

Just for information purposes, here is some reading that came out in 2010. It is still applicable today. Do you really need antivirus software

Be patient. The perpetrators will get tired and move on to someone else. (I hope.)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:33 PM   #53

11 pm and iPhone app still unusable. Used Safari on iPhone to post this but app(when it is working) is much easier.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:36 PM   #54

There is one big difference between a DoS and DDoS. The former can normally be stopped at the atacked server using firewalls but the later is distributed using hundred or thousands of compromised Windows computers. Yes, I'm picking on one platform but it's very rare to see Linux or a Mac involved in a DDoS, it's just a fact of life. Anyway, even when you find one of the computers and they're still a lot more attacking the server plus you still don't know who the real attacker is.

So the old school way of blocking at the server doesn't work well with a DDoS which is why they are hard to fight. You need the help from outside services which is what IRV2 has done. These companies have ways to block the attack and sometimes find the attackers.

The other thing is that it's quite rare to have hackers attack sites such as IRV2 as they are too small to be worth the effort. This is why attacks like these are usually someone with a grudge who paid to use a DDoS farm.

With the current laws if the attacker is found they are facing serious Federal charges that can land them in jail for many years. Let's pray that happens in this case.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:57 AM   #55

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the explanation. It would have been nice to know a few days ago rather than thinking it was a problem on my end. A little communication goes a long way. Enjoy this free product so won't ask for a refund!
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:04 AM   #56
Community Administrator

This was communicated five days ago. See the earlier posts on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
Thanks for the explanation. It would have been nice to know a few days ago rather than thinking it was a problem on my end. A little communication goes a long way. Enjoy this free product so won't ask for a refund!

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote