Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
160 Billion Robo Calls Per Day

According to online robocall tracking service “YouMail,” 4.9 billion robocalls were placed in March 2021 alone, at a rate of 159.4 million per day.
https://robocallindex.com/

I saw this reading a lawsuit that a person has filed suing US Dealer Services for the "Your Car Warranty is about to expire." Some interesting stuff reading the complaint.

I'm not a big fan of Class Action lawsuits but I hope some lawyers can retire wealthy from the settlement.
https://www.classaction.org/news/us-...anty-robocalls
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I feel like some days I must get half of the 160 million calls.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:25 PM   #3

On my land line I paid for a service that blocked all calls that were not on my contact list. It was a VOIP carrier that charged us $5.00 a month for unlimited nation wide calling. I swear they were the one setting up for the the robo calls. Only to sell additional services to block the unwanted calls.

On most apple phones you can silence calls not in your contact list. They go straight to VM and show us as a silenced call. If the caller leaves a message I'll call back otherwise it was likely a spam call.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:50 PM   #4

WE only use cell phones when one of us goes somewhere alone...or if both of us are out about separately....basically as backup to landline

Most times they are OFF when at home

Landline.....
We have a 'not solicitation' process on it
Caller HAS to press 1 in order for phone call to go thru and then/only then does our phone ring
Robo can't press 1......!!!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

Ken
I believe I get the other half! The big thing for me right now are the calls I get from realtor wanting to buy my house! Give me a break!

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:58 AM   #6

I don't understand why they continue. Most people have caller ID and don't answer an unknown caller.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
I don't understand why they continue. Most people have caller ID and don't answer an unknown caller.
A lot of robocallers use spoofing technology that can have a familiar phone number show up on your caller I.D.. Another trick is posing as a company you do business with leaving a phone message to call them back for "important information about your account." Can even be a toll free number making it seem more legitimate. We get fake Medicare messages as well as messages from our supposed plan D provider. We never answer or call back. Usually the calls will come in every day sometimes twice a day for a week or two then stop for a while. My rule is, if I don't know who's calling, or even slightly suspect it fake, I let it go to voice mail. 90% never leave a message. Just answering and saying hello, will verify to the robocall computer that your number is good. This is added to a list of verified numbers and sold to other scammers.

If a computer can dial a number every few seconds 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, it only takes one in a hundred or less to answer the phone, or even one in a thousand to take the bait, and they can make big bucks.

Think of all the billions of people who walk around with their phone glued to their hands all day, every day. Like shooting fish in a barrel.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:30 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Ken
And we get the other half Ken!

OK, maybe Bill and I can split them!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #9

Congress could do something useful and put a stop to this "crap". I have wondered how much non-productive time is lost in the U.S. everyday due to this stuff, it has to be tens of thousands of hours daily.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 11:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
Congress could do something useful and put a stop to this "crap". I have wondered how much non-productive time is lost in the U.S. everyday due to this stuff, it has to be tens of thousands of hours daily.

Then there would have to be stiff penalties that ARE actually enforced. Just having a law on the books isn't much of a deterrent. Good profit vs light penalties even if caught and prosecuted-- EASY CHOICE. Continue to do business as they have. We know the national "do not call list" was a joke.

Don't see much of a chance that congressmen will push for stiff penalties unless there is SOMETHING IN IT FOR THE CONGRESSMEN. Yes, if voters push them, they get the almighty "something" of more chance of being reelected.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:32 PM   #11

Yep...Only answer if caller is on contact list. I check for messages - if none, the number is blocked and deleted.

I treat bogus e-mails the same, if not recognized I do not open, just deleted. I don't try to unsubscribe, if you do, the sender now knows it's an active account.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:06 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Probably close to 85% of the calls I get on my land line are robo/fake BS calls. I'm glad I signed up on the government website to stop this crap. Now about 10% the same on my cell, also listed on the do not call government site.
2016 Can Am Spyder RT
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:11 AM   #13

Quote:

Ken
Maybe you have, lol. I feel like there have been billions of those calls that I have received since maybe 10 years ago. Even until now, I sometimes still get those calls, but I never pick up my phone. I just ignore most of those calls. Sometimes I look up those numbers on Google or some websites like http://phonebook.ai to see if people have reported those numbers as scams, and I will just block those numbers.
tonyquart is offline   Reply With Quote