Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2022, 08:56 PM   #1

27% Increase Week Over Week On Bag Of Chips!!!

This is purely conversation or a venting thread if you like

Wow, sticker shock shopping today just reached it's ultimate peak with me. How on earth can a measly bag of chips go from $1 to $1.27 in less than a week? Of course that's to say nothing of bananas from 77c to 97c/lb week over week, and a myriad of other stuff rising exponentially but ...........

Meeting and talking to more and more budget struggling folks that just can't make ends meet and there's only so much help we can all as individuals give of ourselves. Gas now hovering at C$1.92/litre in Calgary = another 12cents up in less than a week - I know in BC that's always been higher (BC stands for Bring Cash as we always say), it's now closer to two half bucks/litre.

It doesn't stop just at the fuel pumps or grocery stores either. We are witnessing all types of insurance going up exponentially as well: house, vehicle, and travel insurances. Everything we need to just live day to day or want to enjoy the highlight of our twilight years has gone up not just 3% or 4% but 20%, 40% and some items 100%+ in a very very short time.

Feels like we no sooner feel safer and have borders open to start enjoying a bit post covid lockdowns with our RV travels, and it's not just gas but everything going up to the moon on cost, hence budgets out the window.

For those of you that had a comfortable (well under six figure) retirement budget how are you planning/managing right now? I'm struggling with balance today as it's so hard when we need to live before our health stops us living so to speak, yet we also need to make sure we don't run out of moolah before air.

For those of you in the know, any idea when all this craziness will slow down and hopefully pull back to more realistic inflation increases. For sure our incomes are most certainly not mirroring these increases the past couple years.
SomeDay is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2022, 09:10 PM   #2

Can't answer to your Hows and Whys, too big of a can of worms on this forum.

So...
Hunker down and get used to it. It ain't going away nor getting better any time soon.
Above all, Do Not Panic, but plan your trips, purchases and pantry stocks carefully.
And remember, "we're all in this together".
Old 06-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #3

Hang onto your Hat....Inflation is just getting on a roll

Blame it on the Pandemic, shipping/stagnant Ports, lack of truckers, Putin, Greed, government intervention ----combination of all of above

Fat Lady is no where near ready to sing..........

Priorities
Housing, food, Medical

Get on a Budget, Look for Cheaper Alternatives or Try New Stores, Cut Unnecessary Expenses, Look for Free Alternatives
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2022, 09:29 PM   #4

Every product that has to be delivered ; anywhere; is effected by the price of fuel .

Every time the minimum wage goes up ; it feeds the inflationary spiral .

Products harvested or in any way handled by minimum wage workers go up in price.
Union say our , members make 1 1/2 to 2 x minimum wage when their contracts come up.

Building materials and labour costs go up , the cost to rebuild your home is higher , insurance goes up to cover additional costs .

Assessment on my home went up 44% , thankfully taxes only up 14% at the moment

Fuel $2,34.9 L up .05 overnight
Don't get me going on the price of milk and adult beverages .
Old 06-08-2022, 11:21 PM   #5

My approach it trying to become that much more self reliant, growing our own food, buying from local farmers markets, etc. RV travel with high gas prices has not been much of an issue for us yet, as we bought a new to us 70 year old house in February, and much of our time lately (and likely for the rest of this summer) is being spent on fixing it up, remodeling the kitchen and master bath, along with replumbing the entire house, updating electrical system, etc.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2022, 03:53 AM   #6
laj

Donít panic yet. Give it till this fall, then hang on. weíre sitting on the edge, and its ready to crumble.

The 3 most important things will be: Your health, family, and whatís in your pantry. Itís coming, and thereís not thing one you can do about it, but go old school
laj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2022, 08:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Hang onto your Hat....Inflation is just getting on a roll

Blame it on the Pandemic, shipping/stagnant Ports, lack of truckers, Putin, Greed, government intervention ----combination of all of above

Fat Lady is no where near ready to sing..........

Priorities
Housing, food, Medical

Get on a Budget, Look for Cheaper Alternatives or Try New Stores, Cut Unnecessary Expenses, Look for Free Alternatives
So true. If my wife saw your Fat Lady comment, she would think I had two handles.

I moved my office into the home last September, had tried to do it when the pandemic first hit. Just as gas prices exploded, one consult job I had that required me to drive cross town twice a week wrapped up. I filled up my tank on May 16. On June 3, I had to go across town for a meeting, put me close to my TT, so I did some maintenance I needed, and then hit the Sam's Club by the storage lot. While locally gas prices were running $4.69/gallon, that Sam's Club always has best price, even compared to other Sam's and COSTCO stations, they were at $4.34/gallon. Only took 10 gallons to fill up. I was early enough that the lines had not started yet. I had to drive a bit Saturday and then yesterday, at 120 miles, my gas gauge just came off full.

[Moderator Edit]
Old 06-09-2022, 08:59 AM   #8

You will also that that size of products are getting smaller and stay the same price or in some cases go up. I’m not concerned about the “food” items that only go to make me feel good, but food staples, fuel, electricity prices sure do.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2022, 09:04 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup.
I visited Costco (south Danver) yesterday.
Gas = $4.44.9 ($4.79 everywhere else)
#3 Coffee =15.49 (used to be $9.30)
Gallon of milk = $3.99 (used to be $2.39)

Transitory my a*s !!!!!!

Mike in Colorado
Old 06-09-2022, 09:52 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Thread Reminder

While it's easy to drift into political comments on this subject, please keep them out. Posts have been removed or edited due to this.

Thank you to those posting within the rules.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2022, 10:12 AM   #11

Every time someone mentions price hikes it is not politicsyou can say whaterver you want,everybody knows what it is going on
lando51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2022, 10:16 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lando51 View Post
Every time someone mentions price hikes it is not politicsyou can say whaterver you want,everybody knows what it is going on
Yes, what we are seeing now is the recovery from the damage caused primarily by the pandemic. What is going on now is exactly why so many people wanted to see and much earlier, and much stronger response to the pandemic before it got out of hand.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #13

A couple more examples: 32 oz Gatorade now 28 oz. Half gallon of ice cream now 1.25,quarts. Shrinkflation is a prevalent as price inflation. Double whammy and this isnít a game show.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2022, 10:47 AM   #14

Don't forget greed!
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply